PDA

View Full Version : Building Stuff From Pallet Rack Components

Too_Many_Tools
02-06-2010, 12:10 AM
I was looking at some pallet racks today and realized that I was looking at the raw components for building things like trailers, light duty gantry cranes, carts, etc.

So I am interested in hearing about and seeing what others have built using pallet rack components.

Thanks for whatever info you might have to offer.

TMT

wierdscience
02-06-2010, 12:13 AM
No pictures,but I have seen shop side walls made from them.

Also seen pallet racks assembled outside on a small slab and a gable metal roof added to the top for outside storage.Truck tarp sides makes for a good materials rack.

Too_Many_Tools
02-06-2010, 12:36 AM
No pictures,but I have seen shop side walls made from them.

Also seen pallet racks assembled outside on a small slab and a gable metal roof added to the top for outside storage.Truck tarp sides makes for a good materials rack.

Good idea about the outside storage...any idea what the zoning inspectior thinks for that type of arraignment?

TMT

Too_Many_Tools
02-06-2010, 05:16 PM
Anyone else?

We are talking a cheap metal source here.

reggie_obe
02-06-2010, 05:36 PM
What do you think an inspector would say, when confronted with a structure build from non-standard materials? Probably something along the lines of, "Where are your design and Engineering data/drawings?" Followed by a official letter from the town to tear it down.

x39
02-06-2010, 05:44 PM
A friend of mine got hired to remove a bunch of pallet racking from a warehouse, which he got to keep for scrap. Most of it got pretty beat up, but I went through it and got three 16' tall end pieces and enough 4' cross pieces to construct to build eight shelving levels free for hauling them. I erected them outside in back of my shop. I'm thinking about cutting them down since without a forklift the height is hard to manage. Friends of mine who attend auctions regularly tell me pallet racking can often be had for pennies on the dollar, probably due to the hassle of dismantling and moving it.

sbmathias
02-06-2010, 06:25 PM
I made a workbench out of some pallet rack. You might be able to see it amongst the junk:
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc300/sbmathias/workbench.jpg
I have no complaints at all about this design except that I only used 3/8" thick top - it should have been 5/8 or more. 2 frames (blue, one at each end) and 3 beams (white, 2 at top and one at bottom behind). I also wired the front beam to have a switch at one end and a series of switched outlets, which is unbelievably convenient.

Jim Stabe
02-06-2010, 08:24 PM
I made a flat, level platform to build my car on. Bases are 16" square pillar bolcks filled with concrete and the beams anchored into them so that they are exactly level. I also used 2 beams crosswiseso that I could slide the 2 body halves apart and keep them level and parallel (I widened the car 11").

I'm not sure why it won't let me post pictures but I could send you some if you give me your email address.

wierdscience
02-06-2010, 11:53 PM
Good idea about the outside storage...any idea what the zoning inspectior thinks for that type of arraignment?

TMT

Depends on the usual things,distance from road,view from the road,whether you have PITA neighbors,how much the zoning board wants in a bribe,the usual.

tdkkart
02-07-2010, 09:37 AM
Apparently certain components of pallet racking make damn fine scalples, at least it did for one of our maintenace guys last week. A piece of pallet rack fell on his head, nearly removing his ear.
Damn, that's gotta hurt.

j king
02-07-2010, 10:17 AM
i built a trailer out of a set. not home to take a pic now.about 18 years ago

Scishopguy
02-07-2010, 04:50 PM
A friend of mine got cozy with the help at one of the big box home stores and was given a bunch of pallet rack that had been dented by the fork lifts. It seems that the Feds demand that it be taken out of service if it suffers any damage. Most of the stuff he got was not badly damaged and he cut it down and welded the feet back on. He used it for storage in his shop and gave me a bunch of the cross bars and sides he didn't need. Now, all I have to do is come across some damaged ends that I can cut down and reuse and I will be in good shape. Nice material to work with but be sure you grind off the powder coat before welding it. Stinks bad!!!

digger_doug
02-08-2010, 07:10 AM
As we have a pallet rack manufacturer nearby (ridge-u-rack)

I've seen lot's of it around (it's different than the standard
round hole style) and it's green.

Whole buildings (pole barn type workshops), basketball
hoop holder (put up a 4' square of it 14' high),
farm gates, trailers, firewood racks, ladder
rack on a pick-up truck, tree stands for hunting (several of those).

I used it for shelving, and the lower shelf I covered with plywood as a
workbench, the upper shelf with boards, and fastened 4' shop
lights up under it.

x39
02-08-2010, 08:23 AM
I used it for shelving, and the lower shelf I covered with plywood as aworkbench, the upper shelf with boards, and fastened 4' shop lights up under it.
A friend of mine did the same, worked out very nicely.

vpt
02-08-2010, 08:45 AM
Shelves for storing crap!

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/7627/partsss002.jpg

Greg Parent
02-08-2010, 10:06 AM
Back in 1983 I got a job at the Simpsons-Sears warehouse in Ottawa. My first job was to take an acetylene torch and cut up all the damaged pallet rack shelving. We had a railroad spur out back of the warehouse right up to the loading dock. I bet I filled at least two full sized hopper cars with cut up racks.
My second job was to unload and assemble the new racking that came in on the same train spur. We had row after row of this style of shelving in the warehouse. The forklifts and overhead platform lifts beat it up pretty regularly. About once a year we would remove and replace the damaged sections. It felt a waste to me but reading the above comments it all makes sense now.