View Full Version : What is this tool?

02-06-2010, 03:53 PM
Found it at the scrapyard. First thought was that it was to remove the tops of 5-gallon pails, but I don't think that's right.



02-06-2010, 03:55 PM
Fire hose wrench.

Alistair Hosie
02-06-2010, 04:19 PM
Is it a nail remover?Alistair

02-06-2010, 04:39 PM
That makes sense, the scrapyard does get fire hose stuff in on occassion.

We had the "nail puller" thought cross our minds also, but the notch isn't right for that.

Tom Curlee
02-06-2010, 04:45 PM


02-06-2010, 10:17 PM
The proper name is a Spanner Wrench. They are mounted in pairs all over fire trucks and are used for more than tightening and loosening hose couplings. The slot in the pry end fits the bar on gas valves for shutting them off and of course it is used for prying. it can also be used as a small hammer for breaking out windows that can not be opened,for venting smoke and heat, or access for water or other agent application. The loop on the end lets us hang it on our turnouts from the D-hooks, as opposed to just sticking it in a pocket of the turnout gear(thus more room for other tools and goodies), or tied with a small cord loop (like a pistol lanyard) so as not to lose it when working off a ladder. The best ones are the old time ones that were forged as oppossed to the current ones that are cast. Mostly they are made of aluminum or brass, so as to be non-sparking, but, I have seen and used a few that were steel.

02-06-2010, 10:47 PM
Yes, it's made for fire hoses and the like, but there is another job at which it excels: levering things up with your hands full. I've used one for years as an aid to sheetrocking - just the thing for snugging up a wall panel using it like a foot pedal.

02-06-2010, 10:49 PM
Bottle opener for a 5 gallon beer bottle.:D