PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly Lathe owners

Robo
02-07-2010, 08:27 PM
I have a 11" Rockwell lathe that is in need of a tailstock ram. It has been suggested to try to get a Grizzly replacement ram for it. I need the ram to be ~1.3625 in diameter and just over 6" in length with a mt3 taper. If you guys could measure your lathe's tailstock ram and if it is close to these measurements, let me know what lathe you have and perhaps the part number it would be a huge help. Grizzly won't put measurements up of stuff like this for some reason. Hopefully I can find one that will slide right in (wishful thinking I know) if not, with minimal massaging get it to fit. Any help is greatly appreciated.

J.Ramsey
02-07-2010, 08:45 PM
My model 4016- 13 1/2 x 40 measures 1.260.

lakeside53
02-07-2010, 08:48 PM
:)

Maybe someone lives near a grizz shop? A friend of mine went to the Bellingham outlet, measured everything in the showroom and found exactly what he wanted.

Oh.. it's a fun trip; the only danger is you'll end up buying a bunch of other stuff:D

mechanicalmagic
02-07-2010, 10:03 PM
G4003 here (12x36) 1.573" using a cheap caliper, (+-.002)

DJ

Video Man
02-07-2010, 10:23 PM
Mod. 1031, 1.6008 in.... too big, I guess.../ video_man

Robo
02-07-2010, 10:26 PM
G4003 here (12x36) 1.573" using a cheap caliper, (+-.002)

DJ

DJ what is the length on that ram? Oh and what thread does it have for the screw?

gwilson
02-07-2010, 11:25 PM
To make your tailstock's spindle hole a bit larger,just put a boring head into your lathe chuck like you would use in your milling machine. Put the tailstock IN FRONT of the carriage. Tighten down the tailstock enough that the carriage can slide it under power. Bore out your hole by increments carefully to avoid bell mouthing the hole. Make it to fit a somewhat oversized quill.

I used to rebuild lathes,until I found out easier ways to make money!!! I had to make both an oversize quill,and bore out the tailstock quill hole too. The lathe I was rebuilding had ONLY been used as a polishing lathe.I had to recut EVERY slide on it,and the worn out tailstock quill,too. My process not only restored the tailstock ram,it no doubt also brought the much slid tailstock quill back up to the same height as the spindle. I mean,this lathe LOOKED good,but was completely worn out so bad that it wouldn't even cut steel!!

Fortunately,the QC gearbox had NEVER been used,nor the leadscrew!!

mechanicalmagic
02-07-2010, 11:47 PM
DJ what is the length on that ram? Oh and what thread does it have for the screw?
Robo,
Scaling a picture I took a few years ago, the ram is 6.6" long. The thread is in a Brass bushing that attaches to the rear of the ram using 4 cap screws. The bushing and screws add about 3/8". The thread is left hand 10 tpi, unknown diameter. Yes, it's a #3 Morse taper, and there is a dog point set screw coming up under the nose of the t/s.

If it looks interesting, I can take real measurements tomorrow.
DJ

lakeside53
02-07-2010, 11:51 PM
To make your tailstock's spindle hole a bit larger,just put a boring head into your lathe chuck like you would use in your milling machine. Put the tailstock IN FRONT of the carriage. Tighten down the tailstock enough that the carriage can slide it under power. Bore out your hole by increments carefully to avoid bell mouthing the hole. Make it to fit a somewhat oversized quill.

That is a great idea....

Robo
02-08-2010, 06:36 AM
Robo,
Scaling a picture I took a few years ago, the ram is 6.6" long. The thread is in a Brass bushing that attaches to the rear of the ram using 4 cap screws. The bushing and screws add about 3/8". The thread is left hand 10 tpi, unknown diameter. Yes, it's a #3 Morse taper, and there is a dog point set screw coming up under the nose of the t/s.

If it looks interesting, I can take real measurements tomorrow.
DJ

dj looks interesting can you get some mor accurate measurements

Robo
02-08-2010, 06:40 AM

I used to rebuild lathes,until I found out easier ways to make money!!! I had to make both an oversize quill,and bore out the tailstock quill hole too. The lathe I was rebuilding had ONLY been used as a polishing lathe.I had to recut EVERY slide on it,and the worn out tailstock quill,too. My process not only restored the tailstock ram,it no doubt also brought the much slid tailstock quill back up to the same height as the spindle. I mean,this lathe LOOKED good,but was completely worn out so bad that it wouldn't even cut steel!!

Fortunately,the QC gearbox had NEVER been used,nor the leadscrew!!

Thanks for the tip was thinking about doing something like this. Only boring head I have is r8 shank:(

Toolguy
02-08-2010, 09:59 AM
You can get a Morse taper shank for the boring head, change shanks and put it right in the lathe spindle taper.

S_J_H
02-08-2010, 10:25 AM
gwilson, that's a good idea but don't you think the tailstocks quill bore length ( at 6") is sort of long for a boring head?
How about using a line boring bar in the spindle and a steady rest to the right of the carriage for outboard support of the bar?
Same principle but the line boring bar will be far more rigid.

Steve

mechanicalmagic
02-08-2010, 10:53 AM
Robo,
PM sent.
I'll get into the shop today.
DJ

Robo
02-10-2010, 06:47 AM
No one else owns a Grizzly lathe?

Gary Gill
02-10-2010, 07:33 AM
Grizzly G9972z 11x26 Tailstock diamter is 1.260

Michael Edwards
02-10-2010, 09:27 AM
No one else owns a Grizzly lathe?

Yup, but it's a G4003 just like Mechnicalmagic, so nothin new here. :o

ME

HighWall
02-10-2010, 10:40 AM
Yup, but it's a G4003 just like Mechnicalmagic, so nothin new here. :o

ME

Ditto, except mine's the G4003G.

914Wilhelm
02-10-2010, 06:40 PM
Harborfreight 14x40 is 1.771". At least one less to look at.