PDA

View Full Version : What Is This?

cryptrx
02-07-2010, 10:21 PM
I found this, and three others like it, in a box of stuff I recently picked up.

I have no idea what they might be, but they are marked:

J&S INTL.

HBLP 50X4 3/4X

448 B=2 1/2

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy358/cryptrx/What%20Is%20It/whatisit1.jpg

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy358/cryptrx/What%20Is%20It/whatisit2.jpg

------------------------------

If anyone knows what they are, I would appreciate it if you could let me know too.

Thanks,

- Bill

Toolguy
02-07-2010, 10:41 PM
Those are guide punches for a progressive punch press die. They fit in a block on the top shoe and go into a hole made by another punch at the previous station to accurately locate the part for the next hit. They are held in place by a spring loaded detent ball so the ball can be retracted and a worn or broken punch can be quickly replaced without dismantling the die.

Doozer
02-07-2010, 10:53 PM
I think they are called ejector pins.

--Doozer

TGTool
02-07-2010, 11:06 PM
I think they are called ejector pins.

--Doozer
Nope. Ejector pins would be flat on the end to push off a piece that might be stuck to the punch. I see Toolguy calls them guide pins. We always called them pilots since their function was to make sure the stock was in the right position for the next station/next stroke.

Machinist-Guide
02-08-2010, 12:00 AM
TGTOOL has it.
They are called a "ball lock pilot"

cryptrx
02-08-2010, 01:16 AM
Thanks, guys.

I guess they won't do me any good, but at least I now know what they are.

More for the scrap pile, I guess.

Thanks again,

- Bill

RB211
02-08-2010, 02:04 AM
I think your girl friend could fine a use for one of them, err never mind, too small

vpt
02-08-2010, 08:00 AM
You guys are all wrong, that is an american 1 dollar bill legal for all debts public or private.

Mcgyver
02-08-2010, 08:26 AM
More for the scrap pile, I guess.

there's a bunch of T&D guys here - what would you expect these to be made off? a nice piece of chrome moly or tool steel deserves at least a good seat in the scrap bin...with some heat treating there's likely lots that can be made of them

Toolguy
02-08-2010, 09:46 AM
If you grind a point on it, it makes a good center punch. They are very hard high quality tool steel.

gary350
02-08-2010, 09:51 AM
I looks like a line up or guide pin for a progressive punch press die. As the metal moves forward to the next punch station those pins go through holes that make sure the metal lines up perfect.

cryptrx
02-08-2010, 02:08 PM
If you grind a point on it, it makes a good center punch. They are very hard high quality tool steel.

So, if I understand you correctly, I need to buy a tool-post grinder, surface grinder, associated wheels, dressing tools, and tooling.

OK.

Time to buy more tools...

When I get more money...
--------------------------------

Thank you for the idea. You're right; they would make good center punches.

Thanks again,

- Bill

Mcgyver
02-08-2010, 02:48 PM
So, if I understand you correctly, I need to buy a tool-post grinder, surface grinder, associated wheels, dressing tools, and tooling.

I don't understand that remark - all you need is a bench grinder which is the most basic of tools in a home or any machine shop.

I would ad to what Toolguy wrote by saying temper it to a purple colour; striking tools that are really hard are a hazard in that they can shatter if not brought down to the right temper; ie the guys smacking away on centre drills ground to a point are offside imo.

Scishopguy
02-08-2010, 03:10 PM
That is but one of a number of Ball Lock Punches used for different applications in stamping and forming dies. The advantage of a ball lock punch is that it can be replaced or resharpened when it becomes damaged or broken. Yes, they are very useful for home made center punches, centers, and even cutting tools when ground appropriately. ;)

cryptrx
02-08-2010, 04:03 PM
I don't understand that remark - all you need is a bench grinder which is the most basic of tools in a home or any machine shop.

It was a weak attempt at humor.

Perhaps I should use one of those smiley things, but I don't think I could bring myself to use one.

Yeah, I sort of thought the tempering part was implied.

--------------------

Scishopguy, cutting tools sound interesting as well.

Thank you,

- Bill

Toolguy
02-08-2010, 04:15 PM
I HAVE a toolpost grinder, surface grinder, tool & cutter grinder, etc. For things like that, I just chuck it in the cordless drill and hold it to the bench grinder with the drill turning. Some things don't need an elaborate setup or equipment.
I do like the threads with (attempted) humor better than the ones with bickering. I take my work seriously, but I want to have some fun along the way.

Mcgyver
02-08-2010, 07:01 PM
Yeah, I sort of thought the tempering part was implied.

even if i knew how much you know, its still worth throwing it out there so someone else doesn't shatter a piece of hardened steel

no implied slight at your experience intended. Do you use the smilies though - otherwise how are we to know? they're not like stickers for kids, they say don't read it literally....makes things, well, no so cryptrix, I mean cryptic :D