PDA

View Full Version : OT: It was a wild ride and not much fun - 2 surgeries!

Bill Pace
02-08-2010, 01:43 PM
Been missing awhile------

Just before Christmas I started having some pretty strong angina attacks. What with the holidays and Drs office gonna be closed, he sends me some 'nitro' pills and sets an appt for monday after xmas. The nitro would knock the angina that I would get 2-3 times a day very well, so I waited til the appt.

Go in and have a talk with dr and pretty quickly he says we need to do a 'cath'' and see what is going on (I fully agreed!!!) and sets it up for following morn.

Its afternoon before get finished and back in room and dr is saying its way more obstruction than he expected and didnt even want me to go home and to stay over. Said he would get a surgeon and a operating room asap. So next morn I went in/under. Some hrs later I'm coming around and hear surgeon telling the wife that he did a quadruple bypass procedure, but that I didnt have a "heart attack" and that my heart was undamaged -- that was good!!

Six days pass and I'm feeling pretty good when I start having strong stomach pains, after several hours of "oh, its gas" take some malox and it should pass --- my heart surgeon happens by and asks a couple questions and pokes on the stomach area and says 'I dont like this" and starts barking orders to the nurses to get a G I dr and set up xrays, etc. After the next couple hrs the gi dr comes in and says hes gonna have to go in and see what is going on... Next thing I know, I'm coming awake again to hear the surgean telling my wife that I had a perforated bowel and the cavity having a lot of nasty stuff in it and that he had taken about 12" of bowel out and gave me a colostomy bag!. He would reverse the procedure in 6-8 wks and I wouldnt keep the bag --whew!! That heart surgeon very possibly could have saved my life by happening along when he did!!

So then my pulse rate starts going crazy, would jump from 50's to 170's. They keep saying this is 'normal' in by pass surgery, but the way those nurses were scurrying around I was having some doubts about that! They get some medicine - amiodarone - and it starts settling down. I go home after 17 days and after a few days at home, get badly nauseated, end up back in hosp trying to get nausea stopped, turns out that drug to regulate pulse is one potent medicine! and... one of the top side effects is --- yep, nausea, and that it can take some time to get out of your system. Course, I stopped taking it... but even now after some 10 days I will still get a little queasy now and then.

I lost so much ground from the second surgery and the days of nausea that I am not nearly along as far as I should be with the by pass, so looks like I wont make the usual 6 or so wks of recovery...

But I do feel decent enough to start keeping up with the board here some what.

Bill Pace

Carld
02-08-2010, 01:50 PM
:eek: geez Bill what a thing to happen at Christmas. I am glad to hear your home and recovering. Do what it takes to heal and don't let reading the posts get your blood pressure up. :D

rmancini
02-08-2010, 01:56 PM
Man....That's quite a ride as you said.
Sometimes I view the medical community as nothing more than "People Mechanics" but then I realize that when you need 'em - you need 'em.
Glad to hear you're recovering.
Lache Pas La Patate!
Rich

JTToner
02-08-2010, 01:57 PM
Hang in there, it gets better. Four years ago I had a heart valve implant from a freeking pig! It took a while, but it does get better.

jimmstruk
02-08-2010, 02:03 PM
Bill, sorry to hear about your problems! I also have had colon explosion and all the fine colostomy bag and heart bypass surgery but not at the same time. I definately feel for you. Recouping from either one is no fun, but both at once? good luck to you JIM

Pherdie
02-08-2010, 02:07 PM
Wow, Bill, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride!!! You must have the lives of a cat!

Welcome back and get well soon.

Fred

lynnl
02-08-2010, 03:05 PM
Here's wishing you a smooth and speedy recovery for the rest of the way!

speedy
02-08-2010, 03:40 PM
A new lease on life could just be the very best gift.
So, here is to the next 20 or 30 years (raises glass).
I am wishing you a speedy recovery also - no pun intended.

DICKEYBIRD
02-08-2010, 03:43 PM
Bill, sorry to hear of your health challenges. I've noticed your absence lately but just figured you & Lane were cooking up another astounding machine build/repair/restore thread to dazzle us'ns with. Turns out the machine you wuz re-build'n wuz YOU!

Take it really easy and get yourself good and strong. We need you around here but can hold on 'til you get good & well.:)

Scishopguy
02-08-2010, 04:18 PM
Wow! It just goes to show how things can get real serious real quickly. All of us "older dogs" can relate to your situation. Best wishes for a steady and full recovery.

oil mac
02-08-2010, 04:27 PM
Bill,
Glad that you have got that sorted, It wasnt nice, The skill of the surgical team certainly pulled you through, The surgeon passing your bed when you took the colon pain, was a blessing, I think you have a guardian angel looking over you
Take care of yourself & get well, We will all be thinking of you

Highpower
02-08-2010, 05:39 PM
Take it really easy and get yourself good and strong. We need you around here but can hold on 'til you get good & well.:)Bill,
Yeah... all that ^^^^^^^^^^

Take the time, and do yourself a favor for a change. ;)

Oldbrock
02-08-2010, 06:09 PM
Yep, open heart is no fun, Had the same op as JTToner and it took a while to get back to fully functioning. That was five years ago and still ticking. Hope you fully recover Bill and get back in the shop. Best medicine for me. Peter

gnm109
02-08-2010, 06:11 PM
Best wishes for a speedy recovery! I've had a few operations in the past few years. All good now. It sounds like you will be also.

:)

davidh
02-08-2010, 06:16 PM
hey, what they say. . . . hell getting old in some respects. but then again..
best of luck.
davidh

John Stevenson
02-08-2010, 06:36 PM
Bill, Never mind all the medical claptrap, what new tooling did you get for Christmas ? :D

gwilson
02-08-2010, 07:00 PM
Yea,I had a double bypass in a hurry. They put me out in the all beside the nurse's station. They kept me awake all night with their constant tittering and other un needed yapping. several other post op patients out there too. It was truly miserable.

I've had about 14 surgeries. the worst was prostate cancer. The dumb ass surgeon did not tell the nurses to give me pain shots. Took them many hours to find him. The pain was HORRIBLE.

Ken_Shea
02-08-2010, 07:33 PM
Whew-eee Bill, what an ordeal, very glad for you and your family that things are improving, this is also really stressful on the spouse as well, likely she is as wore out as you.

Your Old Dog
02-08-2010, 07:43 PM
Sounds to me like you been OverHauled Bill. Glad to hear you're mending and look forward to seeing you back in the shop and posting them pics of your projects! All the best.

Mcgyver
02-08-2010, 08:03 PM
geez Bill, so sorry to hear that. Glad you're back on the board and I wish you a speedy recovery and return to the shop

Al Messer
02-08-2010, 08:19 PM
Good luck, Bill! May you soon return to more enjoyable things than re-hab!

wierdscience
02-09-2010, 02:40 AM
Well Bill,like they say,any day above the grass is better than all of them below!

Hope you mend quick!