PDA

View Full Version : Ship 170lb indexer from NY to TX - best ?

Bruce Griffing
02-08-2010, 01:14 PM
I need to ship an indexer from NY to TX. Any recommendations for good and reasonable package and ship for this item?

lazlo
02-08-2010, 02:25 PM
That's going to have to go freight Bruce, unless they can break the indexer down into ~ 70 lb components (about the most you can ship by UPS or FedEx without it getting destroyed).

Have you tried FreightQuote?

Glacern
02-08-2010, 03:50 PM
Bruce,

Try freightquote.com. Their prices keep going down. For awhile, efreight had them beat, but not anymore. I'm not sure what the freight class is, but our vises ship with class 60. The indexer might fit into that category.

Build a crate out of 2x4s, preferably sized for a 27" pallet jack to slip underneath (2x4s on edge spaced 28" apart will give adequate clearance). That'll make it easier for the freight company to move the package around, preventing potential damage.

FWIW, UPS' weight limit increased to 150 lbs not long ago, but they are the pricier option unless you have a commercial account with them.

Black_Moons
02-08-2010, 04:11 PM
Allways nice to see glacern post on the forum :)

I recall most of my machinery and even rotary table came in rather sturdy crates... though it looked like someone had managed to put some forklift forks through part of the side (3/16" doorskins), and the table was bolted into the crate as well to protect it.. So consider bolting your table into the crate as well, to prevent it from slideing around, Consider shiping truck, large speedbump... nuff said.

reggie_obe
02-08-2010, 04:22 PM
Check out ForwardAir's network. As long as the seller is willing to deliver to one of their shipping points (Newark, NJ: EWR), it might be cheapest.

Bruce Griffing
02-08-2010, 04:47 PM
I should have been more clear on the pack and ship. I am in Texas and the indexer is in the NYC area. The seller can deliver it, but it will need to be packed as well as shipped.

madman
02-08-2010, 04:49 PM
Avoid UPS whenever you can. brokerage fees are outrageous. i been screwed a couple times by the uPS Man. Even the delivery UPS driver told me quite often people just refuse the packages because of the Fees and Charges UPS sticks you with.

reggie_obe
02-08-2010, 06:08 PM
Are you saying that the seller can't build a plywood box around it? Or anchor it down to a piece of plywood inside a cardboard carton? JFK is also a Forward Air location.

Bruce Griffing
02-08-2010, 06:09 PM
Reggie-
Yes - that is what I am saying.

lazlo
02-08-2010, 06:20 PM
Bruce, was this an Ebay purchase? He's refusing to crate the item? He certainly can charge you to crate it, but unless he marked the indexer "Local Pickup Only", he has to help you arrange for shipping.

There's no way I'd ship an indexer without it being crated. UPS and Fedex will destroy anything that heavy.

Bruce Griffing
02-08-2010, 06:32 PM
It is a potential Craig's List purchase at this point. If I cannot find a reasonable solution to crating, it will not be a sale.

lazlo
02-08-2010, 06:56 PM
In that case, why don't you post on the PM For Sale forum and see if anyone is willing to go over there and crate it for a fee?

reggie_obe
02-08-2010, 06:57 PM
Is there a member near the seller, who could pick it up, crate it and drop it at the terminal? Maybe post this in "Third Hand".