PDA

View Full Version : Brain overload

John Stevenson
02-08-2010, 07:22 PM
So today I had to nip up to Birmingham to sort a lathe out with an electrical problem, as I was passing the National Motorcycle Museum

http://www.nationalmotorcyclemuseum.co.uk/museum/history.php

I decided if I had time I'd call in on the way back.

So a few twisted wires and a 1/4" bolt in the fuse holder saw me back on the road again.

Called in the museum, paid my senior citizens ticket [ pays not to argue your age at times :D ] and went in.

Now I have been here before many, many years ago when it was just two halls, now it's five. I have a great interest in motorcycles of all ages and the well laid out display looked really interesting.

I started walking round and looking, and looking and looking and by the time I had reached hall three I realised I wasn't taking anything in.

700 odd motorcycles from all era's some hardly different from each other in some cases like the later model Triumphs which were made just up the road and these were all British bikes, no foreign bikes at all.

I left after only half an hour, no fault of the museum, everything was well displayed and every exhibit has a laminated chart with it giving details and in some cases the history if the bike was special.

I don't know what the answer is? Go as part of a group? research on the web first ?

Answers on a cheque please to Alistair because he's hard up.

EVguru
02-08-2010, 07:32 PM
I had the priveledge (before the fire) of going round with Tony Foale and listening to his thoughts on the various designs. I also had to keep watch as he removed the guard ropes to get better pictures.

daryl bane
02-08-2010, 07:57 PM
That was always my problem on those "rushed" European vacations. I vowed not to go back unless I had months to take it all in properly. Of course, that hasn't happened. I too, have been to the NMM a couple of times and can't remember anything except it was nice...Ha.

darryl
02-08-2010, 09:53 PM
Just find one other person who shares your interest in bikes and go together. Make sure they don't have a time limit or hidden agenda so you don't end up going home sooner than you might want to.

I have a little piece of scrap metal here that looks like it was machined on a monarch- I could send that to Alistair. I know it's not much, but it's a start :)

The Artful Bodger
02-08-2010, 10:26 PM
I see they have a Douglas 90 Plus but no Douglas 80 Plus like mine!

Even if they did I doubt theirs would have the special 'colonies' fixtures like the air cleaner etc.

Mcgyver
02-08-2010, 10:30 PM
overload perhaps?

its deeper...like a kid anticipating Christmas morning, its the idea that enthralls. I've finished many model engines, barely look at them when complete... all consuming during the build. Did the same with an old car, once complete, could care less.

the interest is in the idea of old bikes, not old bikes. you think about them, read about them, etc then you're standing in front of the crowning glory and what do you do? measure rapt attention in minutes or even seconds .... based on how preoccupied you are with the idea, you should stand there until passed out from exhaustion.

this is good....if i keep at it and convince myself its ideas not stuff that compel....maybe i can stop buying tool
s

Astronowanabe
02-09-2010, 02:24 AM
I suppose it may have been too far from a pub to allow ones mind to be truly at ease ... no seriously were you well fed?

Black_Moons
02-09-2010, 03:02 AM
You don't *have* to take it in ya know :)
sometimes the eurphoric wandering in a childlike state is its own reward.

The Artful Bodger
02-09-2010, 03:44 AM
So what is the story on that place Sir John? "National Motorcycle Museum" and they only have two Duggies in their exhibits! Dont they know that Douglas was once the biggest motor cycle maker in the world?

Next time you are passing by you should remind them of their responsibilities!!!!!! :D

John Stevenson
02-09-2010, 05:07 AM
Artfull,

I'm certain that web page and information is nowhere near correct.
I looked at the page on Douglas's and there are only two but I did see more.

I always liked the Dragonfly and I was looking for one, the problem is here I'm not sure quite how the exhobits are laid out. They are not in years or makes.

I did see 3 all together in hall 1 but early ones, there was an 80, maybe two of them, not sure but the Dragonfly was in a later hall with a load of 60's era bikes.

I reckon there were 7 to 10 Dougies there scattered about.

Circlip
02-09-2010, 05:33 AM
Lots of the exhibits in the NRM are being re re-stored due to the fire so getting so many back on display is quite a feat in the timescale.

Rather than brain overload John, is it "Familiarity"??? bit like hearing and recognising an engine sound, OH that's a - - - and ignoring it.

Have always dashed (??) to the door to see whats making the noise of a "Strange" aircraft engine note but don't bother with the "Normal" run of the mill lightplanes.

Regards Ian.

ptjw7uk
02-09-2010, 06:37 AM
I always hankered after a Douglas but when I heard of the problems they had with the gearbox I lost interest.
Never could work out why they never went with a shaft drive after all the Sunbeams did.

peter

MrSleepy
02-09-2010, 07:18 AM
You may have been suffering from stress caused by the thought of having to navigate all those bloody roadworks and averaging speed cameras...:(
Will they ever get it finished..they must have been at it for nearly two years now.

Rob

John Stevenson
02-09-2010, 09:08 AM
You may have been suffering from stress caused by the thought of having to navigate all those bloody roadworks and averaging speed cameras...:(
Will they ever get it finished..they must have been at it for nearly two years now.

Rob

Oh shiite that's what all the hooters and headlights were about ?

ulav8r
02-09-2010, 01:05 PM
Hate to post late like this, but maybe the senior discount was based on your obvious intellectual capacity rather than your actual age.:D