PDA

View Full Version : Poor UHMW-PE wear performance against concrete

MrSyil
02-08-2010, 08:35 PM
Does anyone have any experience using UHMW-PE as a replaceable wear surface. It's supposed to wear less than steel and I've seen ads for UHMW wear strips for snow plows but I must not be using it right. I have a small 5hp snow blower that isn't self propelled and it has two small stamped steel runners (1" wide x 3" long x0.125" thick) that support the blower head in front. To make it slide a little better I replaced the stamped steel runners with 3/4" wide x 4" long x 1" thick long UHMW runners. It was much easier to push once I installed them but the runners long .125 inches of thickness after clearing a 75ft single lane concrete driveway. Does UHMW only have good wear characteristics against smooth surfaces? I have about 30 3"x12"x.75" pieces laying around but they haven't been good for much.

Toolguy
02-08-2010, 08:39 PM
Yes you need a smooth surface for any amount of wear life. You might try some aluminum bronze for the snow blower.

Carld
02-08-2010, 08:50 PM
Have you considered making rollers of some type to keep it off the driveway?

lane
02-08-2010, 08:51 PM
You need a piece of Kromite steel of what you are doing . Will last for ever almost.

MrSyil
02-08-2010, 09:07 PM
Have you considered making rollers of some type to keep it off the driveway?

I think your right, rollers are the next cheapest option. Originally I was going to add some UHMW to several different wear areas when I saw that it was used on snow plows and to line dump trucks. That didn't work out so well so I'm thinking plan B will be to try some 3" diameter .2" wide rollers, disks really, with bearings because the skids some times wanted to run up onto the snow.

J Tiers
02-09-2010, 12:32 AM
Snowblowers often DO (or did) have thin disk front wheels which cut through the snow and wore well.

I noticed that a while back on the one at work used for the parking lot. I always used shovels, even up north, so I never noticed that before. Down here we rarely get more than 3" (other than one 24" storm in 1982 or so), and the snow is often a heavy wet snow that does not blow well, so it isn't worth messing with a snowblower, despite the fact they are sold.

tdkkart
02-09-2010, 01:43 AM
You must have a hellishly rough patch of concrete there. 15 years ago I made similar size shoes for my 5HP Toro blower out of what I believe to be Delrin(black). I just replaced them 2 years ago. From my experience with UHMW I would expect similar if not better performance.

Black_Moons
02-09-2010, 02:44 AM
UHMW is very soft and sands VERY easily, Deralin likey lasted you so long because its harder.

Abner
02-09-2010, 09:32 AM
I made some skids for a tractor tiller used to mix potting soil on a concrete slab. I tried UHMW but found they weared quickly. I went back and used a mild steel "shoe" with the idea of replacing it every so often.
You probably don't have the weight of a tractor tiller, so your situation might be different in that way.
I also have a v snow plow for the front of my D2. I bought some (I think T-1) the stuff used for cutting edges on tractor buckets. This has held up very well even with literally miles of use on a gravel road (talk about abrasive).
What about simple 1/4" plate wheels. Something that will slice through the snow, yet hold your tines up.