PDA

View Full Version : Lets hope he makes it happen!

wierdscience
10-25-2003, 12:04 AM
See this-
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=35233

Guero
10-25-2003, 05:25 AM
I'm currently reading a book called "That Dark and Bloody River" - it's a history of the settlements along the Ohio river valley and it goes into quite a bit of detail concerning the activities of the American Founding Fathers and their reasons for resolving to revolt against King George and declare the original 13 colonies as 'independent states'. High taxation (though not nearly as high as we're taxed today) was one of their primary reasons. What is dismaying is that only about 3 percent of the colonists fully supported the revolt against the King and I would imagine our population today would behave much the same way. I look at my pay today and am constantly dumbfounded at the huge amount I pay in taxes to the federal government; I am angered knowing that much of this money goes into the "development" of foreign countries (especially knowing from my 23 years of foreign service that much of this money actually goes into the pockets of corrupt foreign leaders). I realize this is a forum for machinists but you've touched on an issue which, I believe, grates on a lot of us. For some reason machinists tend to be independent, self-thinking and loners; we don't like seeing the money we've earned by our sweat (whether its by machining or some other profession) go to some other entity. Our current income tax system was created by FDR to pay for WWII and it was 4 cents on the dollar. By the end of the war there was enough money left in the budget to pay for the war 3 times over - no way Congress was going to get rid of the tax system and it has grown incrementally with each decade. Well, I've spoke my piece - I don't mind paying taxes for NECESSARY services (defense of our Constitution and our nation) but I do mind the fact that a foreign government functionary builds himself a new mansion on money which I and other U.S. citizens have earned through the sweat of our brows.

Alistair Hosie
10-26-2003, 01:41 PM
Guero here in the UK we just had a charity company have it's four or five directors brought before a tribunal for having sent over seventy thousand pounds to the charity it represented. That seems a strange thing in my opinion to send anyone to court for. Wait a minute I forgot to say over the last three years the collected five million ooh now I get it.
This happens all the time my friend!
They collected five million from generous people and decided after their own expenses came out, that seventy thousand was an appropriate sum to send off to the charity in question.
This has been going on for years and years its exactly the same with our taxes what we pay is not what gets spent directly on the needs of our tax funds. There's plenty of big directors along the way who need big cars and wining and dining all the hours God sends.
The whole of our society is corrupt not a one among them you would trust with your worst friends life.
I am afraid the more I read about government mismanagement, greed, and corruption I realise what my old dad told me the only real qualification to be a politician is that your a good liar and an even better cheat. Alistair

Jaymo
10-26-2003, 07:30 PM
Is this what we get when we let lawyers run the world?

3jaw
10-26-2003, 08:45 PM
"Taxes are not levied for the benefit of the taxed."

-Robert Heinlein

wierdscience
10-26-2003, 09:36 PM
Used to be we elected a represenative to go to washington and do the work of the people then they came home after a few weeks where we could keep and eye on them,now their all off in washigton doing god knows what.

Even our local officals are crocks,our current governor took the state jet from Jackson to Hattiesbrug(about 70 miles)at a cost of something like $12,000! http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//mad.gifHe couldn't take his car,oh no to common for an exalted over lord like him http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//mad.gif

The freaking tax code is too big and complicated to change as few of our elected officals have the intestinal fortitude to dive in and change it. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//frown.gif