PDA

View Full Version : Portable Pin Boring machine????

audrey
10-26-2003, 12:21 PM
Does anyone know about building a small ?Machine that can be welded onto a Front End Loader that can cleanly Rebore the ovally worn holes for a replacement bushing. I need to have something that can bore from 4 inch up to 10 and even 12 inch Diameter. This must have portability so to enable these repairs to be performed in the Great White North up here in Canada. Thanx Audrey

gamachinist
10-26-2003, 05:11 PM
It sounds like a large automotive boring bar will fit the bill.The 12" diameter may be hard to come by but an older Kwik Way FN will go up to 5 & 21/64 and I know they made larger machines.
Kwik Way also made a portable line boring machine that could be copied in a larger scale.All you really need is a bar with a hole for a bit to fit into riding in pillow block type bushings with a feed device.If you look on eBay,you may be able to find one cheap (or contact me and I'll put you in touch with a couple of dealers buy it won't be cheap) to raid the feed mechanism and adapt the rest.A bar could be stepped to use the standard bearing arms too.
Robert.

John Stevenson
10-26-2003, 06:45 PM
Audrey,
Check your email.

John S.

spkrman15
10-26-2003, 07:00 PM
Hey John,

If you have some plans for something could i get a copy as well. Those type of repairs are right up my alley

Spkrman15

MikeHenry
10-26-2003, 08:05 PM
Have you looked at Versa-Mil?

http://versamil.com/

Mike

wierdscience
10-26-2003, 09:20 PM
Versa-mill,my buddy down the road from me picked one up at a military sale,the entire setup with all attachments in a wooden crate for $800.00!Needlest to say he is a "good nieghbor"That little machine has a jillion uses,so far I used it to setup and mill a keyway in a 14'ss boat shaft and also to true up the wheel faces on my other buddy's bandsawmill,excellent tool.

Also there are several books that mention large portable boring bars to bore out steam engine clinders in place,I think that Guy Lutard even had a picture or two in his books.

ibewgypsie
10-27-2003, 07:53 PM
I would go with a large mag drill, and perhaps the type rig Guy Latard showed in his book to rebore steam engines in place.. It was pretty neat, had a star wheel that advanced the cutter each rotation. Bolted into place and centered.

You ever seen the pump in polymer bushings? They pump in like grease and set up. No ideal on a supplier.

burnlast
10-27-2003, 11:28 PM
Check out climax portable machines. http://www.cpmt.com/. I think they may have rentals ,If its a one time job.

Burnlast

[This message has been edited by burnlast (edited 10-27-2003).]