PDA

View Full Version : Readers' Tips 3

George Bulliss
02-18-2010, 04:29 PM
The comment was made early in the popular “Shop Made Tools” thread that it should be turned into another of our Readers’ Tips books. I thought it was a great idea and have received the green light to go ahead with a book.

For those of you that may not have seen our two previous books, they are a collection of posts from this board, with some short items from the magazine mixed in. The books help to provide a more lasting record of the posts seen here. The second book came out in 2005 and I would be willing to bet that in the last five years many of the original posts have lost their photo links. I have not checked into this because, as many of you know, the search feature on this site won’t get you very far.

The “Shop Made Tools” thread will likely provide most of the material but we don’t plan to limit our search to just one thread. Content will be chosen based on the quality of the post, as well as our needs for a balancing the content of the book.

Before I get too far into the nuts and bolts of how I plan to do this, I want to say a few things about the rights of those who post on this board. Your words, photos, and drawings belong to you and always will. You have complete control over any use of your content.

Because of this, I (or more likely Craig Foster) will be asking permission for every post we use. It is completely up to you as to whether you want to give permission. Should we use your posts, you will receive two of the books as compensation.

The photos and text for the original books were simply copied from the BBS. This was quick and easy, but it limited the size at which we could print the photos. Because of this limit, the layout of the books is not near as nice as what is seen in our magazines.

In order to create a better looking book this time around, I am hoping to have the authors send in the original, un-cropped photos. Additions to the text, as well as drawings are also welcome. Since we will need to establish a line of communication for the permission anyway, I don’t think this will be a burden to most of you and I know it will result in a much better finished product.

So, if you are interested here is the procedure:

1) Send an email to Craig Foster, cfoster(at)villagepress(dot)com, stating you give us permission to use your material for the upcoming book. Include your mailing address so we can ship the books to you.
2) Include any additions, corrections, or updates you may have for the text.
3) Send the original photo files. We have a 5MB limit for our email so either break things up or request instructions for our clunky upload site. Another option is to send it via a site such as YouSendIt.
4) If you feel the addition of a drawing would help, send it in. I use SolidWorks and can import a variety of files. I can also work up just about anything I can see, provided I have all the required dimensions.
5) Be patient. We have a number of books ahead of this one, so even if we dropped everything else, it would still be some time until publication. My hope is to get it done within one year, sooner is always better though.

If you have any questions, please respond to this thread or contact Craig or me via email.

George

Dunc
02-18-2010, 04:56 PM
Am I too late to obtain the earlier versions? How? Cost?

George Bulliss
02-18-2010, 05:06 PM
Am I too late to obtain the earlier versions? How? Cost?

We still have plenty for sale. They are $6.95 each and can be ordered by calling (800)447-7367.

George