PDA

View Full Version : My nose didget vs. 6" Cushman Chuck @ 579.6 FPM

Your Old Dog
02-18-2010, 06:32 PM
My 6" Cushman chuck was running at 579.6 fpm today as I put the finishing touches on a 4 gang pulley being bored out to fit my 1 1/2 HP motors 7/8 shaft for the belt grinder I'm in the middle of building. I was really feeling pretty good about it, success always feels good.

Randy Travis's I Told You So album was fired up in the 550 watt 5 channel JVC RX788V receiver and the Baby Come Home (before you kill us all) tune was giving the 100 Watt Sony Woofer a good workout as it kept the shops arteries filled with copious amounts of knee knocking, feet tapping bass. You could feel it in your chest.

http://www.roughstock.com/v2/images/Randy-Travis-Ultimate-Hits-CVR-2009-300.jpg

I had taken my finishing cut on the pulley and had just powered down the lathe to see if my test stock would fit the hole I had just bored. If you know the song you know I was likely helping Randy belt it out! As the chuck spun down, I was standing more to the right of it then I normally am so when I reached up to let my hand slow the chuck down as I've done a thousand times before, one of the jaws slammed into my nose picking finger and mangled up my finger nail a bit. After about 15 minutes with a Puffs Plus jammed on it (I'm talking about my finger) the bleeding stopped. I'll have to be very carefull with it for awhile, fortunately my right nostril is more of a problem then my left.

There is a God and he does watch after fools. He helped me out once before when I knelt down in front of my spinning 10" cabinet saw, picked up some cut-off chunks and set them up on the table saw into the spinning carbide blade. One chunk of wood tore a callus I have had for 35 years of my palm. Work safe guys, especially if you pick your nose. Getting your elbow up there may not work as well :D

chriskat
02-18-2010, 07:03 PM
I came home one day and went out in the shed to do a little work and noticed wood chips around that I didn't remember. I was talking to my 72 year old Dad later and asked if he had been in my shed doing something.

Sure enough he came over and used my power miter saw. Turns out that while he was trying to make a cut on a piece of crown molding he pulled the spinning blade down slowly (luckily) and touched the crystal of his watch. Cut a little chip out before he let the saw go back up.

If he had been a little more sure of the placement of the cut he probably would have pulled down very quickly on the saw and severed his hand. Scary.

As YOD said, work safe!

Dawai
02-18-2010, 09:12 PM
Personally? if I listened to Country music I would too be thinking of ways to off myself.. The 70s outlaw country singers were mostly allright.

Metallica.. Led Zepplin.. Rolling stones.. when I can't have Pink floyd to go to sleep by I have bad dreams. (I'm 52 and never will grow up)

Hang in there bud.. glad you still got all the digits.

gnm109
02-18-2010, 09:41 PM
Too much volume on the music? Change to Classical perhaps? Rap? Salsa?

When I was a safety consultant I would frequently review accidents that occurred at the accounts to which I was assigned. In wood and metal working, the most common accidents as I recall were usually removing wood scraps or moving hands near chucks when the machines were just shut down and yet still moving.

How about leaving the music off? :)

Doozer
02-18-2010, 09:45 PM
Ive done a few stupid lathe things that drew blood. Thank God it was on the 10" Atlas that I learned on, years ago. Had I been inexperienced and learning on a gearhead lathe, things would have less forgiving.

Glad you are Ok, YOD.

I also have a pretty good sound system in my shop. Head unit is a Pioneer, digital tuning, pulls stations way in form Canada. Runs through a digital equalizer, I have two 300 watt (I think) 70 volt line amps with six (I think) 70v speakers around the ceiling. It sounds pretty sweet.

--Doozer

pigpen60
02-18-2010, 10:16 PM
my oops was dumber than dumb! the mill wasnt even running and i reached in the wipe the chips off the vise and jammed a 1" end mill into my index fingers middle knuckle. bled like a stuck hog:eek: pigpen

TGTool
02-18-2010, 10:34 PM
I've been fortunate in never having anything worse than cuts, scrapes and slivers from metal working tools. I got a fingernail in a router 45 years ago but don't do much woodworking anymore. However I did have a project this week that required clearing off the table of the old DeWalt radial arm saw. Frankly it scares me sh!tless but being thoughtful and deliberate around it is probably a good thing. :eek:

steve45
02-18-2010, 10:43 PM
I was cutting some chain links in half with an abrasive wheel on a radial arm saw. I was holding the chain links with pliers, what could go wrong? Well, I forgot to lock the carriage and the #@%! saw came at me! That was about 15 years ago. I still have a scar on my thumb, but the thumb is still there!

It is so easy to get complacent. Take your time and think about everything you do when working around power equipment.

Your Old Dog
02-18-2010, 11:10 PM
............. However I did have a project this week that required clearing off the table of the old DeWalt radial arm saw. Frankly it scares me sh!tless but being thoughtful and deliberate around it is probably a good thing. :eek:

That's the only tool I needed for a fully complete woodworking shop. I found a nice deal on a 10" DeWalt. I made maybe 10 cuts with it and it scared me to death. I am fully comfortable with all my tools including my 10" cabinet saw but the DeWalt radial arm saw was sold off and I use a 10" mitre saw in it's place.

Your Old Dog
02-18-2010, 11:12 PM
I also have a pretty good sound system in my shop. Head unit is a Pioneer, digital tuning, pulls stations way in form Canada. Runs through a digital equalizer, I have two 300 watt (I think) 70 volt line amps with six (I think) 70v speakers around the ceiling. It sounds pretty sweet.

--Doozer

So it's you! Could you back that puppy down a tad so I won't have to blast mine so loud ?? LOL

Personally? if I listened to Country music I would too be thinking of ways to off myself.. ..................

I will admit, it takes a refined musical ear to appreciate all the attributes of Country music :D At least I can sing along with it, I'd like to hear you sing along with Metalica. I bet I won't look singing along with Randy as you will with Metalica :D

Carld
02-19-2010, 12:18 AM
How could you or anyone else hear what your singing with the music that loud :eek: and who would care?:rolleyes:

I like the Delta blues from the 20's and 30's and have about 100 CD's if it to listen to. I play it loud but not that loud.

YOD, I too have hit a finger or thumb on a spinning chuck jaw and it hurts like crazy and makes me jump and shout all kinds of vulgar words until I get calmed down.:eek:

Walter
02-19-2010, 02:27 AM
My 6" Cushman chuck was running at 579.6 fpm today as I put the finishing touches on a 4 gang pulley being bored out to fit my 1 1/2 HP motors 7/8 shaft for the belt grinder I'm in the middle of building. I was really feeling pretty good about it, success always feels good.

Randy Travis's I Told You So album was fired up in the 550 watt 5 channel JVC RX788V receiver and the Baby Come Home (before you kill us all) tune was giving the 100 Watt Sony Woofer a good workout as it kept the shops arteries filled with copious amounts of knee knocking, feet tapping bass. You could feel it in your chest.

http://www.roughstock.com/v2/images/Randy-Travis-Ultimate-Hits-CVR-2009-300.jpg

I had taken my finishing cut on the pulley and had just powered down the lathe to see if my test stock would fit the hole I had just bored. If you know the song you know I was likely helping Randy belt it out! As the chuck spun down, I was standing more to the right of it then I normally am so when I reached up to let my hand slow the chuck down as I've done a thousand times before, one of the jaws slammed into my nose picking finger and mangled up my finger nail a bit. After about 15 minutes with a Puffs Plus jammed on it (I'm talking about my finger) the bleeding stopped. I'll have to be very carefull with it for awhile, fortunately my right nostril is more of a problem then my left.

There is a God and he does watch after fools. He helped me out once before when I knelt down in front of my spinning 10" cabinet saw, picked up some cut-off chunks and set them up on the table saw into the spinning carbide blade. One chunk of wood tore a callus I have had for 35 years of my palm. Work safe guys, especially if you pick your nose. Getting your elbow up there may not work as well :D

YOD,

Funny but I had the same damn thing happen to me just me music was different. I do believe I had on some bluegrass, and was working with my 4 jaw which is a good 2 inches if not more shallower than my 3 jaw.

I twanged my salute finger. While there was no blood it sure did hurt to offer tribute to others... but not so much that I couldn't continue. :D

Your Old Dog
02-19-2010, 07:59 AM
......................I twanged my salute finger. While there was no blood it sure did hurt to offer tribute to others... but not so much that I couldn't continue. :D

Well I'm just glad it wasn't my thumb or I'd have nothing to do while I was just standing around. :o

knudsen
02-19-2010, 09:33 AM
What's with the tissues? Didn't you have an oily shop rag right there? Much more manly :D My wife's always buying those lotion impregnated snot rags, and I told her I wanted at least one box of plain tissues. I hate those thing; when I use a facial tissue, I'm trying to get the snot off my face, and those things keep putting it back on! :D While Randy Travis is very manly, but Sid Vicious would probably be less mesmerizing :D Try some cheap HF forceps, they make great bugger grabbers, they are deep penetrating and you'll look smart like a doctor picking your nose with a medical device! Of course I'm just funnin' yu. Sorry you got hurt. Fingernail injuries are the worst!

I got a couple of eye opening injuries myself recently, very minor damage. When I put my 4" 4 jaw on, and saw those claws sticking out while it holds 2" bar, I swore I would never stick my fingers in those. Well, so much for oaths, as I was filing along happily, I went to lift the file and inspect my work and stuck my right index finger right in there. Lucky, I think, as my finger did not go in far, it was running full blast. The outer under side of the fingernail area went in, hurt like hell and I went back to work after a few minutes of colorful Navy language that I won't repeat here. Forgot about it until the next day, didn't see much there, maybe a slight darkness, but it hurt like hell if touched for at least 5 or 6 days. Then, I had a headache on a shop night, took off my glasses which helps and took the pills, laid down for a while and went out forgetting my glasses. I normally sit or stand so my face is well out of the normal chip path. I was sitting with my belly in the path of a fly cutter, and one musta bounced, and hit me in the lower eye lid, leaving it's mark. Definitely woulda been an ER night if I sat 1/2" lower. That chip had to bounce at 45 degree to get to my eye. Glasses would have covered the injury, which is still there a week later. I guess it was a combination burn/cut. It didn't bleed, and it's never hurt much, but the damned thing stuck and I had to pull it out. Lesson learned: Always be ready to look away real fast.

Doozer
02-19-2010, 09:57 AM
I actually turned the music up loud yesterday when the wreck of the Edmond Fitzgerald came on the radio. Spine chilling story/song. Also reminds me of what the great lakes cities used to be. I have an aluminum shovel from the grain elevators here in Buffalo. No more grain scoopers jobs here for 10 years. The marine legs of the elevators sit idle, being replaced by a boom conveyor that is attached to the ship. Every time I use that shovel (usually for snow, lately), it reminds me of what Buffalo used to be. Standing on the roof of the 12th floor of the grain elevators and looking out over lake Erie gives me a chill very much lilke when I hear The Wreck. Then I look over the other side, and I see the city, people going on about their daily buisness and unable to see the view of where we as a city were, and where we are going. I know where the city is going. A quick glance of the pigeons on the ground reminds me of that. Damn it's cold. I don't think the wind ever stops up here. I can set my speakers up in a new shop.

--Doozer

Black_Moons
02-19-2010, 10:26 AM
Gez grabing a moving chuck!
Iv managed to slice my hand open just trying to rotate the chuck manualy with it out of gear (Sliped and sliced my finger open on a sharp corner of the jaw 'ways')

my 'told ya so' Don't work when tired...
wanted to just do a threading pass or two at 3am... was tired
was trying the new 'tool upside down and lathe in reverse' method of cutting away from the headstock

Well, being tired, I put the lathe into forward, engaged the half nut and instantly displaced several turns worth of thread into a 0.2" deep shoulder of aluminum using the backside of my cutting tool. It was pertty cool that it actualy did that in retrospect. But not something I ever want to repeat. (Again, it DISPLACED the metal, the OD became *wayy* bigger, though the OD was a mess, the threads actualy looked rather clean. Hey cool, I just turned something UP!)

Your Old Dog
02-19-2010, 10:39 AM
I actually turned the music up loud yesterday when the wreck of the Edmond Fitzgerald came on the radio.
--Doozer

Not much goes on around me when that song is being played. I think it is one of the finest pieces of musical lyrics ever written. My favorite line is one easy to understand for anyone who has ever faced violent weather.

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes
When the waves turn the minutes to hours."

For those of you who enjoy fine prose I have the song here. What a beautiful tribute this song is to the families of the crew. I've underlined a few of my favorite passages.

The wreck of the Edmund Fitzgearld
by Gordon Lightfoot

The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
Of the big lake they call Gitche Gumee
The lake, it is said, never gives up her dead
When the skies of November turn gloomy.

With a load of iron ore - 26,000 tons more
Than the Edmund Fitzgerald weighed empty
That good ship and true was a bone to be chewed
When the gales of November came early

The ship was the pride of the American side
Coming back from some mill in Wisconsin
As the big freighters go it was bigger than most
With a crew and the Captain well seasoned.

Concluding some terms with a couple of steel firms
When they left fully loaded for Cleveland
And later that night when the ships bell rang
Could it be the North Wind they'd been feeling.

The wind in the wires made a tattletale sound
And a wave broke over the railing
And every man knew, as the Captain did, too,
T'was the witch of November come stealing.

The dawn came late and the breakfast had to wait
When the gales of November came slashing
When afternoon came it was freezing rain
In the face of a hurricane West Wind

When supper time came the old cook came on deck
Saying fellows it's too rough to feed ya
At 7PM a main hatchway caved in
He said fellas it's been good to know ya.

The Captain wired in he had water coming in
And the good ship and crew was in peril
And later that night when his lights went out of sight
Came the wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald.

Does anyone know where the love of God goes
When the waves turn the minutes to hours
The searchers all say they'd have made Whitefish Bay
If they'd put fifteen more miles behind her.

They might have split up or they might have capsized
They may have broke deep and took water
And all that remains is the faces and the names
Of the wives and the sons and the daughters.

Lake Huron rolls, Superior sings
In the ruins of her ice water mansion
Old Michigan steams like a young man's dreams,
The islands and bays are for sportsmen.

And farther below Lake Ontario
Takes in what Lake Erie can send her
And the iron boats go as the mariners all know
With the gales of November remembered.

In a musty old hall in Detroit they prayed
In the Maritime Sailors' Cathedral
The church bell chimed, 'til it rang 29 times
For each man on the Edmund Fitzgerald.

The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
Of the big lake they call Gitche Gumee
Superior, they say, never gives up her dead
When the gales of November come early.

Alistair Hosie
02-19-2010, 11:38 AM
Who's randy travis? What an ugly brute :DAlistair

Dawai
02-19-2010, 02:03 PM
HI YOD...

Yeah, I can sing along with Metallica.. the old stuff.. Enter Sandman album was my best heavy bag workout ever.. and once I got "that rhythmm down" the other competitors could not step in time with me. Once they got your rhythmm.. you was hit hard.

A Metallica concert, I took a long blond headed Ironworker male friend with me, my wife heard I was at the concert with a UGLY blond woman.. I still laugh.. he shaves his head now too..

To each his own, straight, gay, country or western, as long as it is not forced upon me.. have fun.. No complaints here.. I got classical Cd's too.. and some Luciano Pavorotti.

(OTHER SUBJECT:) Gonna crank a shovelhead... a buddies stroker I have had for years.. been sitting waiting on cash inflow.. ready to fire up.. ohh.. the fun.. the sound.. it is all right, put together right, best of everything.. (I got a woodie already).. Recently There was this 1500hp monster truck at the auto parts... I had to come home and assault the wife.. the sound.. you could feel the straight headers notes in your internals.. Now that is music..

tmc_31
02-19-2010, 06:15 PM
Try some cheap HF forceps, they make great bugger grabbers, they are deep penetrating and you'll look smart like a doctor picking your nose with a medical device!

Guys,

Be careful using medical instruments in this manner, that booger you just latched onto might just be a nose hair:eek:

Tim

Your Old Dog
02-19-2010, 06:57 PM
Guys,

Be careful using medical instruments in this manner, that booger you just latched onto might just be a nose hair:eek:

Tim

I've reached that magical age where the hair in my beak and ears will actually t w a n g when they get bumped. I laugh when the barber snips them out of my ear as he damn near needs dikes.

tmc_31
02-19-2010, 07:26 PM
YOD,

snipping them out is one thing, jerking them out by the roots is a "whole nother thang". Just the thought brings tears to my eyes.

Tim

ulav8r
02-20-2010, 11:34 AM
When you have chronic dry eyes, that is a good thing!

YOD,

snipping them out is one thing, jerking them out by the roots is a "whole nother thang". Just the thought brings tears to my eyes.

Tim

Highpower
02-20-2010, 12:36 PM
I whacked a nail once on a spinning chuck jaw. (Got a little too close with a file while deburring a part.) :o

Nothing compared to a good case of Garand thumb though. :D

darryl
02-20-2010, 09:52 PM
Hasn't failed me yet- every time I bring a file near the chuck, I'm reminded of the guy who got one punched up his arm when the end tucked in front of a jaw.

One out of three fingers on one hand is still bad when the weather is cold- I managed one day to put my hand in the way of a trepanning cutter on the mill. Got three fingers, and injected some cutting fluid as well. Took a long time to heal, and that one finger never will be right.

Sometimes I respond properly when I realize I'm tired in the shop- then I just shut 'er down. Sometimes I just keep going, and sometimes it's only the tedium involved in starting a fresh, time consuming setup on the mill or lathe that stops me when it's late.

And yeah, that guy is ugly :)

Dawai
02-21-2010, 12:02 PM
Nothing compared to a good case of Garand thumb though. :D http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/images/buttons/quote.gif (http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=523482)

Most these people here do not have a clue what you are talking about, I did have a couple hundred Nclips.. without them, it is a single shot. My INternational Harvester model would out shoot the $2500 custom built M1A Springfield, put together by Glen Nelson with a build sheet.. Aww, now sold now.. to buy a car for a redhead, who left me in it.. not that I am bitter now, I miss the rifle.. it had a beautiful feather in the super dense walnut stock.. She did have great big boobies, with two more sweaty armpits underneath them.. smelled like a foot..

My uncle, he had a mean trick he'd play on the germans, shoot once or twice, then throw a n-clip out onto the cobblestones, at that time the germans would charge, and he'd show them he was just funnin about being empty..

gnm109
02-21-2010, 02:46 PM
Nothing compared to a good case of Garand thumb though. :D http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/images/buttons/quote.gif (http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=523482)

Most these people here do not have a clue what you are talking about, I did have a couple hundred Nclips.. without them, it is a single shot. My INternational Harvester model would out shoot the $2500 custom built M1A Springfield, put together by Glen Nelson with a build sheet.. Aww, now sold now.. to buy a car for a redhead, who left me in it.. not that I am bitter now, I miss the rifle.. it had a beautiful feather in the super dense walnut stock.. She did have great big boobies, with two more sweaty armpits underneath them.. smelled like a foot..

My uncle, he had a mean trick he'd play on the germans, shoot once or twice, then throw a n-clip out onto the cobblestones, at that time the germans would charge, and he'd show them he was just funnin about being empty..

I had an M-1 Garand for a few years. It was quite accurate. Unfortunately, it needed some work on the gas piston parts and I never got around to having it worked one. It wouldn't strip cartridges reliably. It would work once or twice and then stop without carrying the next cartridge into the chamber.

I traded it it off recently and bought a new Model 70 Winchester - the one that just came back out patterned after the pre 1963 model. I prefer a bolt action. The proud new owner of the Garand got a whole bag full of the clips.

tmc_31
02-21-2010, 04:11 PM
I got to Drill with the M1 in JROTC back in the early 60's. Yep, got the thumb, but only once:D .

Tim

gwilson
02-21-2010, 04:25 PM
Old Dog: Being such a dedicated picker,instead of what you're playing out in your shop,you need to get the album"Ned Nasal and His Nine Nasty Nose Pickers". Playing and singing"I got you,You Bugger You". This was recorded in a concert held in the mucus room of the Hotel Membrane.:)

Highpower
02-21-2010, 04:59 PM
Most these people here do not have a clue what you are talking about, I did have a couple hundred Nclips.. I will have to respectfully disagree with you there. The members here are some of the the most intelligent and experienced folks on any subject I have encountered in a forum group. You know...... OLD folks!
(Kidding!) :p

I own four M1's (about 600 en-block's) and have only been bitten by one of them. I'm a quick study when I'm bleeding. :D

The story about having a file driven into the forearm is causing me to have second thoughts now.... :eek:

JoeCB
02-21-2010, 05:18 PM
The most dangerous tool in my shop, What do you think???
Yep, I've been on this earth 64 years,,, been playing with the table saw, jointer, band saw, wood lathe, two metal lathes, shaper, grinder, drill bress, mill, OA torch, and yes two M-1 Garands and the little S * B that did it to me was the UTILITY KNIFE... yep slipped it down the inside of my left hand right thru the tendons at the middle finger joint. Four hours of micro surgery and a lot of $ and I'm 90% good as new... that was 10 years ago.
Watch out for the little guys, they bite! :D
Joe B

Your Old Dog
02-21-2010, 06:06 PM
The story about having a file driven into the forearm is causing me to have second thoughts now.... :eek:

I use the file on the lathe but I can ALWAYS hear my dad telling me to ask myself the "what if" question. I have thought many times of how the tang would feel being driven up the underside of the wrist.

The biggest thing to me is to not work when I'm tired. Thats when I screw up the most.