View Full Version : I need oil

Alistair Hosie
02-19-2010, 03:16 PM
I have been told that I need iso150 oil or what the manual desribes as extra heavy duty 150 oil kumar .These might be the same.Problem is here in the UK it seems to sell in 22 litre pots I need 1 litre but would be better maybe taking 2 or even 5 litres.This is for the damper of a powered qualters and smith hacksaw.any information on were to get this or more general information would be a great.Tghe problem seems to be the guy who sold me the saw used( I assume thinner oil and it spewed out everywhere>I am hessitant nay reluctant to operate the saw without oil as it migh damage it .Would it be ok for a few minutes?Alistair

02-19-2010, 03:23 PM
Morris lubricants do iso150 compressor oils in 5L cans.



02-19-2010, 03:24 PM
Give Hallet Oils a call


Very helpfull!

02-19-2010, 03:54 PM
"This is for the damper..."

It is just a dashpot. Use ATF or motor oil.

"... oil spewed out everywhere>"

On some dampers for this use, there is no rod seal.
The damper is to be mounted (somewhat) straight up,
the rod side of the piston is the oil reservoir. This
reservoir must be vented, and the system is not a
constant volume, due to the rod area differential.
So to vent air, the seal is often omitted. Overfill
it a bit and let it leak. It will seek it's own level and
the leaking will subside.


02-19-2010, 09:04 PM
here in USA gear oil, for manual transmissions and rear axles is 75W-90W and you can get 75W-140W ,its sold in 1 quart jugs for 6.00$ US. visit your local auto parts store.or order it from france if you have too, or make friends with local farmer, their tractors use it.ATF is 90% mineral oil.you can thicken up motor oil or what have you with STP or what we call "motor honey" its a thick goo added to motor oil to stop engines from smoking.

Don Young
02-19-2010, 09:14 PM
I am not sure just what the relationship is but ISO150 is an entirely different thing than 150W. A 150W oil would be very much thicker (more viscous) than ISO150.

02-20-2010, 03:26 AM
I am not sure just what the relationship is but ISO150 is an entirely different thing than 150W. A 150W oil would be very much thicker (more viscous) than ISO150.

This chart gives some clues



Alistair Hosie
02-20-2010, 10:35 AM
I just bought the 5 litres with Morris lubricants many thanks I think this will be fine Thanks Alistair

02-20-2010, 11:33 AM
Id think for a damper you could use any oil that was thick enough. I don't think its seals (if any) would be very critical..
Offhand id just head to the auto oil section and grab the first thing with a similar weight.. failing that, way oil would be the thickest oil I have kicking around..

the rod outta the piston is the reservoir eh? thats cool. I wondered how they did that. any more detailed discription about how that works? is it just a hollow rod with a hole just above the piston so the rod fills up as it decends?

02-21-2010, 04:19 AM

I think you misread. The rod END of the cylinder is the reservoir, what would be the pressure side of a double acting cylinder.I'd assume there is a valving mechanism or very loose cup on the piston to allow it to suck the oil back to the primary pressure side, the big end.

I'd think most any oil would suffice, but would like to know what the cup or seal is before I swore to that.

It might even be that too THICK a fluid is the problem. When you lift the arm, the suction is not enough to suck waylube or gearlube past the cup.

if it is old enough, I would think it was designed for mineral oil, 10 to 20 weight, if that, and gentle on leather cups.