PDA

View Full Version : OT Need help (messages)

texas_po_boy
02-21-2010, 12:16 PM
I need help, Is there any way to save your messages to a new folder so that if your computer crashes you will still have all your messages.I would have the folder saves to my thumb drive or somewhere. Also I am using Outlook Express.

Thanks in advance.

lazlo
02-21-2010, 12:19 PM
Just make a copy of your Inbox.dbx file. It's in:

C:\Documents and Settings\<User>\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{GUID}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

But it's easier just to search for "Inbox.dbx".

There are a couple of freeware backup programs for Outlook Express that do this for you.

texas_po_boy
02-22-2010, 08:09 PM
Thanks for your help, much appreciated. This is a very savy group, I don't think I have seen anything this group can't figure out.

Big T
02-22-2010, 08:33 PM
Yes, keep everything important backed up. I know this first hand as my 2 year old lap top crashed last week. My business books were backed up to a stick, but there is a lot more I wish was backed up.(Favorites, contacts, photos, etc)

MTNGUN
02-22-2010, 09:32 PM
I need help, Is there any way to save your messages to a new folder so that if your computer crashes you will still have all your messages
Switch to IMAP email rather than POP, if that is an option with your email provider. Most email, like gmail, gives you the option to use IMAP if you choose.

IMAP messages are stored on the mailhost server. You can access them from any pc, anywhere in the world. Only disadvantage is that it's a little slower to open the messages.

No way I would go back to POP.