PDA

View Full Version : Knurling Tool

R. Wilcox
02-24-2002, 07:07 AM
I have been listening to this BBS for about 3 months. I recently purchased an EMCO Maximat Super 11CD lathe form EMCO Maier in Columbus, Ohio. Has anyone used an Aloris AXA #19 clamp type knurling tool? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thank you.

------------------
Ray

spope14
02-24-2002, 07:18 PM
I have one of these in my shop at school, works fairly well. The trick is centering, and pressure.

I much prefer the scissor type knurlers. I can get a perfect knurl every time ( I have a method that I have perfected), they put less stress on the leadscrew and drive, no bend in the part to consider or cause, and can run faster on the RPM at the spindle. A good tool is the "Eagle Rock" brand. Student proof, bomb proof, and great all around.

The Aloris type is no doubt a good tool, use it on larger diameter work. There are tricks to it as well. I can get it out tomorrow, do some fun runs, and get back to you.

Thrud
02-25-2002, 12:19 AM
I prefer the CNC cutting type over the roll formed knurls - less stress on the lathe. The down side is they are not cheap - but you could make your own and use Dorian Cutting wheels.

Dave