PDA

View Full Version : Pesky Fruit Flies.........Victory at Last!!

Hellbender
10-06-2003, 12:15 PM
My wife has a garden and the last week or 2 we have had more vegetables than we have had storage, until she gets them all canned.

Anyway, the little fruit flies have been driving us crazy, you know the ones that get all over the bananas and apples.

So I got to thinking..........surely, I am smarter than a fruitfly (my wife, and many others, may have argued this point up until yesterday )

Since we will be eating the veggies, I couldn't spray poison on everything, if I was gonna do that, we could have just bought the food at the store..........

The fly swatter was a waste of time.......

"Fruit Flies and Green Beans" may be an acceptable MRE entree, but my wife doesn't enjoy such delicacies like the boys and I.

So, just round up the following junk and I will walk you through my newest invention.........

The "HELLBENDER FRUIT FLY TRAP"

(Pat. Pend., but you can a make a copy for private in-home use only)

A 2 liter CLEAR soft drink bottle (remove label and lid, discard)
Sharp knife
Bait....ripe bananas work well

Note where the sides of the bottle are straight and cylindrical, then cut the top off the bottle (Like you are making a funnel) but leave about a 1/4-1/2 inch of the cylindrical part attached to the funnel.

Put the bait (just a little) in the bottom of the bottle, add a little water and mash it up so it looks like thick syrup.

Invert the funnel and put it on top of the lower part of the bottle, slide it in enough to hold in place and you are done!

It catches them like crazy! Even caught a big fly and a mosquito in it, change the bait and I guess you could catch about any kind of bug.

Just take it outside and pull out the funnel and you can empty it out.........unless you are collecting for the MRE entree I mentioned earlier.

To keep this on-topic.....
Obviously, you guys could cut this out of a piece of 6" diameter clear plastic bar stock............"D"D

HB

[This message has been edited by Hellbender (edited 10-06-2003).]

Michael Az
10-06-2003, 12:28 PM
Great idea, I will have to give it a try sometime.
Michael

bspooh
10-06-2003, 12:56 PM
I am an animal rights activist and I am totally offended by this...You are a killer and you should be shot!!!

just kidding!! http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif
great idea!!

brent

Dr. Rob
10-06-2003, 01:24 PM
Yeah yeah yeah. We catch bears that way all the time up in Canada. Moose too sometimes.

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

pgmrdan
10-06-2003, 01:40 PM

[This message has been edited by pgmrdan (edited 11-16-2003).]

Dr. Rob
10-06-2003, 01:42 PM
Err...Moosehead Bear?
Sorry, my mistake; thought it said 20000-litre. Everything is bigger in Canada.

Edit: ...but you DO understand, they don't fit in there together, y'know.

[This message has been edited by Dr. Rob (edited 10-06-2003).]

Hellbender
10-06-2003, 02:23 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by bspooh:
I am an animal rights activist and I am totally offended by this...You are a killer and you should be shot!!!

just kidding!! http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif
great idea!!

brent</font>

Actually, if you would have read my post in it's entirety, you would have noted this only CAPTURES, not KILLS, the poor creatures.

This way they can be humanely relocated to a safer area, away from the hazards of civilization, so they can freeze to death as soon as the temperature drops at night or be eaten by birds (which my boys like to shoot with thier BB guns).

HB

darryl
10-06-2003, 02:29 PM
Who said us canajuns drink those wimpy 2 liter pop jugs anyway. That's just a teaser. My yard is littered with 55 gal pop bottles. I'll have to make me one of those traps. Hmmm, I should have a barbeque- mystery meat.

Hellbender
10-06-2003, 02:30 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by pgmrdan:
Sounds like the idea behind a fish trap.

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif</font>

So you are saying spending $10-15K on a patent is a bad idea?

I think California has a big problem with fruit flies AND too many old soft drink bottles, I was hoping to really cash in.......

Oh well, I guess I just wasted 6 months of research and $42,116 figuring out the best place to cut the bottles.

HB

Del
10-06-2003, 03:16 PM
Hellbender, You blew it. I'll bet you could have got a federal grant to study the problem. Good idea though, think I will try it.

Evan
10-06-2003, 04:15 PM
That is a good idea. It will work best if hung so the mouth is down. Flying critters like flys and wasps alway try to escape by flying up. Another trap I have seen is to take a 20 litre water jug from a water cooler and cut some circular holes in the sides. In these holes place some tubing about 1.5" diameter, clear is best, just long enough to span the jug with a hole in the middle of the tube facing up. About three at 120 degrees from each other and at different heights works well. Bait it and cap with whatever fits over the top.

Seems flys and wasps like rotting meat best.

Dr. Rob
10-06-2003, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by pgmrdan:
Sounds like the idea behind a fish trap.

I don't get it...How would the fish fly in there? I've seen flying fish, but to be honest, they aren't very good at it.

What do you use for bait? OOoooh, NOW I get it! That's what the flies are for- Fly fishing!

And, "...Seems flys and wasps like rotting meat best."
And fish.

thistle
10-06-2003, 05:35 PM
when i was a kid we would do that to catch small aquarium sized fish.

makes me laugh when i see people chasing inch long fish with a slurp gun .

put down the trap , wait .empty out fish.

use of much larger fish traps totally destroyed most of the fish stocks here in the late 80 s
wmd for fish

what really makes me laugh is the idiots they have on survivor .what would happen if they discovered how to use a blinking fish trap?

same trap that works for fish also works on birds /chickens/ rats- just set on land with some seed ,food ect

did a 2 week survival course once with the people who dont have any badges on their uniform
1st thing you do build bird trap.
2nd build fish trap
3 light fire and cook stuff from traps .
amazing

pgmrdan
10-07-2003, 09:13 AM

Rustybolt
10-07-2003, 11:55 AM
I need to make one of those for politicians.

Evan
10-07-2003, 12:02 PM
Rusty,

I'm sure it would work.

Hellbender
10-07-2003, 12:21 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by thistle:

makes me laugh when i see people chasing inch long fish with a slurp gun .

</font>

thistle---I gotta ask, what the heck is a "slurp gun"?

I am pretty well versed in firearms and unusual weapons (or so I thought), but this is a new one on me.

Thanks,
HB

pgmrdan
10-07-2003, 12:52 PM

Evan
10-07-2003, 01:39 PM
Dan,

You know that they pick the most clueless people they can find plus maybe one or two with half a clue to get voted out early. This is so that everyone watching can feel superior and sit on the couch saying, "fur ***** sake, just go pick up the ****. My freeking grandma could figure that out!"

It wouldn't do to have real survivor types, now would it? That wouldn't be fun to watch... Ho hummm.

pgmrdan
10-07-2003, 02:30 PM

Evan
10-07-2003, 02:45 PM
I stand by my theory. The have to make the audience feel like they could do better. I do certainly agree that a lot of city dwellers don't know the difference between their a-hole and a gopher hole. I have lived in cities for periods of time but would never live in one on a long term basis. One of my hobbies is deep wilderness camping and canoeing. Nothing is more relaxing than being out, way out in the wild. I've put somewhere over 1000 km of water under my canoe.

pgmrdan
10-07-2003, 04:04 PM

thistle
10-07-2003, 05:58 PM
a slurp gun is what dive shops sell to people who need to collect small aquarium fish.

it is like a giant syringe 30 inches long 3 inch diameter made of perspex tube with a pistol grip.

you point and suckby pulling back plunger

they are much more expensive that a soda bottle.

oh and to conclude the rant about survivors they cant cook either.

pgmrdan
10-07-2003, 06:07 PM

Evan
10-07-2003, 06:46 PM
No rants round here at the moment.

Dan, I've been around Bowron Lake Park three times and down the west side several more. My favorite place is Murtle Lake on the north east side of Wells Gray Provincial Park. I have an extensive site on Bowron that I have been running since about 1995 here:

http://vts.bc.ca/bowron/parkindx.html

and a sub-site for Murtle here:

http://vts.bc.ca/bowron/mlake.htm

thistle
10-07-2003, 06:47 PM
no i was talking about my original rant about survivorback there i got so upset that i forgot to add that they cant even cook the muck they
found to eat.

pgmrdan
10-07-2003, 07:05 PM

Evan
10-07-2003, 07:19 PM
The 1000km is a minimum. I don't really know how far. A lot has been in those two parks but I have canoed quite a few other lakes here. BC has thousands of lakes. Place a ruler on a map at random and it will intersect a bunch of lakes. I said before that this is the most beautiful place in North America and I have seen a lot of North America. Not to offend anyone, many other places are awesome too, just not on the incredible unending scale as here.

crypto
10-07-2003, 07:46 PM
Have a family of feral cats I'm currently trying to trap. Anyone have any practice doing that?

My old dog is hard of hearing and has always taken a rather casual live and let live attitude toward cats anyway so it does'nt bother her when the feral ones enter the house to harass our old male cat.

But it bothers me when the commotion starts up at 3 AM.

Evan
10-07-2003, 07:48 PM
You need a resident eagle.

crypto
10-07-2003, 11:16 PM
My home made trap (a cat carrier) is working-----sort of. Caught the neighbor's cat twice but I have caught one of the kittens. Found out that the local SPCA pays $5.00 for every feral cat brought in for spaying and neutering. I stand to make $25 if I get the whole family.

Shop's been a bit quiet lately, I may have found a new source of pin money and a means of cleaning up the neighborhood's backyards.

Evan
10-07-2003, 11:27 PM
Make sure you wear your welders gloves. Ya don't want cat scratch fever.

crypto
10-08-2003, 08:34 PM
Evan,

Thanks for the idea. The kitten was easy to handle but the mother cat is a holy terror. She invaded my house one 3 AM and I ended up playing handball with her in my effort to trap her.

dvideo
10-29-2003, 12:36 AM
Dr. Rob....

Somewhere in your moose trap description, I did not see any duct tape, shotguns, or beer mentioned. Aside from getting the Antlers through the bottle cap, how do these Canadian icons figure in?

--jr

Evan
10-29-2003, 02:19 AM
Seeing as how Canada is the biggest country in the world we have very large pop bottles. We just apply the same principle as for fruit flies and catch all the moose we can eat in one day. Bears are a bit gamey and I don't really care for them but some people claim they taste like pork. I guess it depends on who they have been eating. We do have the ocassional 'merican tourist go missing.

wierdscience
10-29-2003, 10:00 AM
Survivor?I thought that is just a test to see if Darwin's theory is correct.

I geuss its not correct cause not a single survivor idiot has died or even killed the rest of the actors http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Dr. Rob
10-29-2003, 10:12 AM
No, not yet- there's the risk of the film evidence surfacing at the awards ceremony. Finally (been waiting for this) heard of one competitor who had his head on straight enough, that when they cut off food supplies, he just went and raided the camera crew's fridge.

Duct tape? Is that a Canadian icon? We just bait the traps with Bob & Doug Mackenzie, or some of the cast from South Park. Catches American bears all the time.

Hellbender
10-29-2003, 11:53 AM
As an update on this trap......

The best bait I have found so far is Red Wine Vinegar mixed with any kind of fruit, apples, strawberries and bananas have all been tried with excellent results.

Can't help much on the Cat Trap, I always use a high powered pellet gun or CB caps in a .22 rifle if I need to kill them quietly, but if quiet isn't an issue, a .223 with Nosler 40 gr. Ballistic tips at 3600 FPS really does the trick......

I hate feral cats in the wild, they can decimate the small game population in a hurry.

HB