PDA

View Full Version : Videos for a Noob

ubooze
10-28-2003, 10:58 PM
Does anybody know where I can get a cheap(as in below 50 bux) beginners video? I really would like to get started in machining, but would like to see a video first. Anybody know any decent videos that simply outline the majors point of milling?

Thanks!

BillH
10-29-2003, 01:58 PM
Should get a book to learn the basics, from there, Just make some chips. Just make some chips...

Fred White
10-29-2003, 02:14 PM
BillH has good advice.

As I recall, Southbend had a book that shows up on e-bay quite often. Also Atlas / Craftsman had a book.

Here's the SB book for $7.49 on eBay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2564008085&category=41950

Start with turning on plastic or aluminum to minimize the potential for damage.

[This message has been edited by Fred White (edited 10-29-2003).]

tenfingers
10-29-2003, 03:37 PM
Here are some videos you might take a look at. Not a lot of detail, but at least the price is right.

http://www-me.mit.edu/Lectures/MachineTools/outline.html

10f

pgmrdan
10-29-2003, 03:55 PM

[This message has been edited by pgmrdan (edited 03-08-2004).]

ubooze
10-29-2003, 07:17 PM
tenfinegers, that is what I found out on google and it really was something that I liked watching.

The mill videos on that MIT site is the type of stuff that I would like to get. It has good examples, simple, and a introduction. I still do not own a mill or anything that fits in a machineshop other then a Dremel :P

I prefer the videos cause I am more of a visual learner. I would get the books eventually when I buy a mill, but now all I want is a simple crash course on what the different tools of the trade are and what to look for when purchasing.

Sorry, I am about to look at the other links, maybe they may have a good looking and CHEAP(under 50 bux) video that may be exactly what I want.

Thank you all for your help.

EDIT: Just noticed this: DVD: The Milling Machine and its Uses by Jose Rodriguez on http://www.littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=2056
Do you believe the things he does on his own homemade mill will also apply to purchase mills? I mean, that may sound crazy, a mill is a mill, but will it be a good explanation? Sorry for the questions, but there is such a large wealth of knowledge here.

[This message has been edited by ubooze (edited 10-29-2003).]

BillH
10-29-2003, 08:14 PM
Im new to using a mill and lathe as well. Had my mill now for a few months, and my lathe for about 6 months. All the basics I learned from doing a lot of reading, such as proper setup. However, you will learn a crap load more by just doing. Just make some chips. I Thought my mini lathe had horrible accuracy. I was using Carbine indexable tooling, because I was affraid to grind my own tools out of hss and using them.
Well, the other night, I finaly ground my own tool and used it. I was blown away by how much better my own tool worked than those carbide indexable tools. My lathe easily cuts now to within .001, I get nice smooth finishes on steel, and my whole perception on things is much more positive now. No way I could of learned this by reading, You have to just do it, and keep doing it.

As far as the mill, I went to my live steam club, and a fellow member showed me how to use the clubs big Van-Norman horizontal/vertical mill. We took my indexable carbide tool holders and milled them down to fit my QCTP on my lathe. I have since bought a Harbor Freight micro mill on sale for 265$. I use it nearly the same way as that big mill, just take smaller cuts. You wont develope a feel or skill without jumping in and doing.

[This message has been edited by BillH (edited 10-29-2003).]