X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Evan
    • May 2003

Lathe bench

There has been some discussion from time to time about lathe benches. I am a firm believer that if you don't have a good support for the lathe then you are wasting your time. I have described my bench before but I haven't shown it. This bench is about as solid as it gets. The top and bottom parts of the bench top are 3/4" high density particle board (HDPB) laminated to a frame of 2"x4" wood spaced on 8" centers, glued and screwed, covered with galvanized steel. The back and sides are the same but without an inner layer of HDPB. The scrap shelf gives additional rigidity. A very handy tool drawer resides just under the bench top on glides. You may also note the channel iron the lathe is bolted to. Please ignore the packrattyness of the shop, it's a disease...

Oh, I ran out of stain 22 years ago...

[This message has been edited by Evan (edited 10-29-2003).]
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here
  • Paul Gauthier
    • Mar 2002

Ditto on pictures. But again it sounds quite sturdy.

------------------
    Paul G.
    Paul G.

Comment

• abn
      • Feb 2002

Nice work as always...the channel mount is nice to isolate the lathe from the wood during humidity change. Thought I'd comment on the photo, the lighting makes it look like you have gold plated ways!! Surely a sign of Providence.

Comment

[This message has been edited by pgmrdan (edited 03-08-2004).]

Comment

• Evan
          • May 2003

Dan,

Funny thing, my next project doesn't really need any milling... BUT, I'll try to find some reason to use it anyway

Comment

• BFHAMR
            • Sep 2003

Evan,

Looks good, but I think you are too hard on yourself about the packrattyness. You have a long way to go to compete with some of us.

Dan

Comment

• Evan
              • May 2003

BF(Dan),

We been through all that already I still haven't shown what's in my sheds...

Comment

Comment

• Evan
                  • May 2003

Uh huh.

Comment

Comment

• wheatland47
                      • Apr 2001

Pack rat!!!!!!
                      you ain't seen nothin' yet!!!!
                      Cleaning my fols place after 60 years..... Plus my shop!!!!

Comment

• BFHAMR
                        • Sep 2003

Evan I did see the pictures, still waiting to see whats in the sheds. I spent the first thirty years of my life as a farmer. We didn't throw anything away useful or not.

When my folks passed away I had to get a thirty yard dumpster to empty the house into. I still ran out of room to pitch stuff.

I try to keep my shop somewhat organized but if a big project is going on then all bets are off.

I hope to have a digital camera by Christmas, if santa is good to me, then I'll be able to post some pictures.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                        X