PDA

View Full Version : GMT Milling vises?

Greebe
02-25-2010, 03:21 PM
I went to GMT's website to look at their milling vises. They appear to be from the same Chinese factory as the Grizzly Precision milling vises.

Any of you guys have any experience with there GMT GSV-690 6" milling vise? How does it compare to the Griz?

Thanks
Greebe

RKW
02-25-2010, 03:32 PM
They have been discussed several times on the "other forum (http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/cnc-machining/anyone-familiar-these-vises-189806/)", but I think you will find wha you are looking for in these details.

Especially in this link (http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/cnc-machining/anyone-familiar-these-vises-189806/#post1207265).

dp
02-25-2010, 03:51 PM
Try http://www.google.com/search?q=glacern+vise+site%3Abbs.homeshopmachinist .net

Several HSM members have purchased the Glacern vises and other products.

Greebe
02-25-2010, 04:03 PM
Thanks for the links. I tend not to gravitate to the Practical Machinist forum these days. Seems a good majority of people over there just like to try to tell everyone else that they are stupid. Lots of arrogance and bad attitudes around that place.

I guess from what I read is that they have their castings made in Taiwan and machine them here in their US shop. Haven't messed with one so I have no idea as to the quality. A Kurt would be nice, but at three times the price, the GMT might be worth a look.

Greebe

rolland
02-25-2010, 04:06 PM
I purchased a Grizzly vise in 4 inch and have been quite pleased with it, I bought it before I saw the Glacern products listing. They do look very simular altho I don't know where the simularity ends. The Grizzly is quite accurate and repeatable, as well as the movable jaw being adjustable.
If I had it to do over I would have gotten the 6 inch but money was the desiding factor in that case. The paper included in the Grizzly stated it came from Taiwan.

MickeyD
02-25-2010, 04:10 PM
I have one of their double 6" vises and it seems nice. Only used it on one job so far, but I like it. I would rate his stuff as nice Taiwan quality at least as good as Parlec but a notch down from Kurt.

lazlo
02-25-2010, 04:11 PM
I would rate his stuff as nice Taiwan quality at least as good as Parlec but a notch down from Kurt.

It is Taiwanese. So is Parlec. :)

I've seen Mike's, and it looks way nicer than the mainland Chinese vises.

Black_Moons
02-25-2010, 07:03 PM
Iv heard glacern is a definate cut above anything you'll find at grizzly, they compair very well to a kurt from what other people here have said.

duckman
02-25-2010, 07:16 PM
I've had Kurts and have had junk but when I needed a new vise I got a Parlec from ENCO its the one that opens up about 9" its just as good as a Kurt and less $ . Its nice when you win the door prize it was a $1,000.00 spending spree won it at the Eastec show. :D :D

SpyGuy
02-25-2010, 07:38 PM
I've had Kurts and have had junk but when I needed a new vise I got a Parlec from ENCO its the one that opens up about 9" its just as good as a Kurt and less $ . Its nice when you win the door prize it was a $1,000.00 spending spree won it at the Eastec show. :D :D
In the immortal words of Monty Python.... "You lucky, lucky, lucky bas...d"

I've been lusting after a Parlec for a long time.

dp
02-25-2010, 08:26 PM
Sol talks about his products here:

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=37115
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=37598

T_henry
02-25-2010, 08:51 PM
I bought the 4" Glacern and it is miles ahead of my Chinese vise. I don't have a Kurt so I don't know about that comparison. But I like the Glacern.
I did do the over haul on my Chinese vise that Doc talked about and I found all the problems that he had, and is my second vise.

chriskat
02-25-2010, 10:31 PM
I bought a 4" vice from Glacern for my Millrite mill. It's much nicer than the Millrite vice that I bought with the mill. Just about the perfect size for my mill works really well.

Jeff

DaHui
02-26-2010, 03:02 AM
I bought an R8 shell mill holder from Glacern and the fit and finish is superb. I'd definitely look at one of their vises if I was in the market. I care about quality, not the country of origin.

Few people seem to notice that Glacern is a US company...a startup none the less. This guy is putting it on the line and making it happen instead of whining about jobs going overseas. THAT is what supporting the US economy is about...starting companies...not where you shop. I think it's amazing that Sol is taking on the entrenched machine tool market, and seems to be doing a great job of competing on both price and quality.

If you really care about the economy, go buy something from Glacern and be sure to thank Sol for having the beans to do what no one else is doing. You'd have to be crazy to start a company in this economy. I like it, and furthermore, I respect it.

(no affiliation by the way)

RKW
02-26-2010, 08:50 AM
Yep, I have found that to be the case as well. However, both contain some good info and some good people. They both have individuals with attitude and egos that need fullfilling ... They know who they are. If anything, I would like to see both forums have fewer OT posts that often seem to get the highest number of views?! Maybe topics that are SO far off need to be locked as quickly as possible?

Thanks for the links. I tend not to gravitate to the Practical Machinist forum these days. Seems a good majority of people over there just like to try to tell everyone else that they are stupid. Lots of arrogance and bad attitudes around that place.Greebe

Davo J
02-26-2010, 09:25 AM
Yep, I have found that to be the case as well. However, both contain some good info and some good people. They both have individuals with attitude and egos that need fullfilling ... They know who they are. If anything, I would like to see both forums have fewer OT posts that often seem to get the highest number of views?! Maybe topics that are SO far off need to be locked as quickly as possible?

I agree. there are plenty of other sites out there for general day to day chit chat.

aboard_epsilon
02-26-2010, 10:54 AM
The only thing that appears to spoil them is the cheap sticker on the side ..

which is going to fall off in less than a year of use

if they have to machine them anyway ..and they are proud of their product..why don't they engrave heavily in the side GMT USA

all the best.markj

DaHui
02-26-2010, 11:16 AM
Engraving is actually an interesting idea, or a laser etch like they so with the spindle tools. However, would you be willing to pay an extra 50 bucks for that? I'd pay an extra 50 bucks if it had my name on the other side :)

As far as the sticker, my Kurt 3600 has the exact same thing on it.

Mike Hunter
02-26-2010, 02:17 PM
Or

You can wait until Enco has the Kurt & Parlec vises on sale with free shipping, and then comes out with their 20% off code.

You can get either one for a lot less than a GMT

fireguy
02-26-2010, 03:05 PM
I bought the premium 6" and I couldnt be happier with it.

When I ordered it from Sol, I commented on the shipping costs, he looked into the actual shipping to my zip and charged accordingly saving me about 25 bucks.

Also with the premium, the vice is measured for all according specs and then kept on file as well as you getting a copy. reason for this is if you ever need to get another for some big work, your specs are on order and they will match the new one with your old specs. Viola matched pair!!!

The only thing I would have liked is an option to due without the cheesy handle and spend 10 bucks or so if they had a speed handle upgrade option.

Maybe Ill mention it to Sol,

If you are going to be spending 400 for a good vise, my vote goes to Glacern

Hayworthmilling
02-27-2010, 05:08 AM
Or

You can wait until Enco has the Kurt & Parlec vises on sale with free shipping, and then comes out with their 20% off code.

You can get either one for a lot less than a GMT

I tried that, doesn't work.

Enco has been putting out a lot coupon codes via email, more than usual, for the last year. Sometime in mid or late 08 I received the 20% coupon code and also found several different free UPS shipping codes on this site and others. Tried them all and none of them worked. Didn't let me combine the offers.

I tried it again later with a 10% coupon and various shipping codes. Failed again.

In any case, the Glacern GSV "standard" vise is comparable to the Kurt D688, not the D675. Even with 20% off, the Kurt is still a lot more money. I actually ended up getting the GPV "premium" vise, similar to the one Kurt sells for $700.

The $300 or so saved bought me a 5 gallon pail of way oil, a 5 gallon pail of coolant, and some other heavy stuff from Enco, shipped for free. :D

:cool: :cool: :cool:

SpyGuy
02-27-2010, 06:52 AM
What Mike was talking about is that Enco often has the Kurt and Parlec vises on sale with free shipping included in the purchase (i.e., does NOT require a coupon for the free shipping). So the 20% off coupon should work with the free shipping on those vises (although I haven't tried that because I can't afford to shell out that much for a vise up to now).

Mike Hunter
02-27-2010, 07:28 AM
exactly... for the past year or so Enco has had the Parlec & Kurt vises in thei'r monthly sales flier, with free shipping included int the price. Because of this you can apply the discount and get both. And yes it works, I've bought 1 Parlec and 2 Kurts this way from Enco. Think about it a Kurt vise for just a tad over $300 + free shipping.

Mike

Greebe
02-27-2010, 02:13 PM
But if I am correct the slandered D-675 and D-688 Kurt vises are now made out of Taiwan as well, so you are just paying more for the name. If they were still US made I would pull the trigger on a Kurt, but why pay more for the some product?

Greebe