PDA

View Full Version : A project that I put together last weekend

ckalley
02-28-2010, 08:27 PM
This is my first attempt at positing a picture, so here goes......

http://i768.photobucket.com/albums/xx325/n1aby/diskgrinder0012.jpg

I needed something to hold the 10" Disk Sander that I got at HF. Most of it is 2"x4"x1/8" steel tubing that I had left over from another project. I was having trouble finding a steel car wheel to use for the base. I was at a local tire shop a couple of weeks ago and I aked if they had any junk rims. The guy at the counter said "How many do you want??" He took me out in the back and they had a pile of most Budd wheels from big trucks. He says "How about this one. It's been sand blasted"

Sounded good to me and you sure couldn't beat the price ($0)! It's for a 22" truck tire. It was scrapped because it had a couple of cracks in it.

Stuck it all together with the MIG welder last Saturday. When the weather gets warmer I'll shoot it with some paint.

Craig

Arcane
02-28-2010, 09:22 PM
You probably know this but if you have any issues with the rim rocking on an uneven floor, just slit three short appropriate sized vacuum hoses and slip them on the bottom of the rim. Easy-peasy way of giving it a three point stance and it also has the benefit of absorbing any and all vibrations that might be present. :)

Don Young
02-28-2010, 09:27 PM
You probably know this but if you have any issues with the rim rocking on an uneven floor, just slit three short appropriate sized vacuum hoses and slip them on the bottom of the rim. Easy-peasy way of giving it a three point stance and it also has the benefit of absorbing any and all vibrations that might be present. :)

Now that's a clever but simple idea!

ckalley
02-28-2010, 09:32 PM
Thanks for the tip. The floor is pretty good so it doesn't seem to rock, but I'll certianly file that idea away!
Craig