PDA

View Full Version : Black pipe for LPG use.

Boucher
03-01-2010, 12:54 PM
I know that Black pipe is normally used for LPG applications. First question is why?

I have been having trouble purchasing it locally.

For use outside in applications like fish fryers and forge burners is Galvanized pipe useable. I am talking about 1/8" and 1/4" sizes. Some situations will require tack welding for positioning and yes I am familiar with the Zinc Hazards associated with welding galvanized. Should I proceed with caution or get in the truck and drive a hundred miles.

camdigger
03-01-2010, 01:01 PM
I don't know why black iron is used for nat gas service over galvanized. I do know that the LPG line to my folks house was 1/2 copper. Probly a farmer fix...:D

Around here every hardware has black iron pipe for gas fittting, but galvanized is getting scarcer due to the extensive use of Pex for water piping.

SpyGuy
03-01-2010, 01:09 PM
The reason is that the plating on galvanized pipe can flake off and clog gas valves, regulators, orifices, etc., leading to a potentially hazardous situation.

Get the right pipe (black); don't use galvanized. For outdoor applications, the black pipe is wrapped with a tape to protect it from corrosion.

Dr Stan
03-01-2010, 01:58 PM
The reason is that the plating on galvanized pipe can flake off and clog gas valves, regulators, orifices, etc., leading to a potentially hazardous situation.

Get the right pipe (black); don't use galvanized. For outdoor applications, the black pipe is wrapped with a tape to protect it from corrosion.

Spyguy is right on the money. One should also not use copper or brass for LPG or natural gas as they have a tendency to crack in this application. There is a blue flexible gas line that is excellent, especially for underground applications. That is what feeds natural gas to my shop.

Stainless steel is also perfectly acceptable. :D

These "rules" also apply to pneumatics and hydraulics.

Doozer
03-01-2010, 02:29 PM
You live in Texas and are having trouble finding black pipe?
Really?

--Doozer

ldbent
03-01-2010, 02:58 PM
Go straight to the horses mouth(ass?). Talk to your local building inspector. If you have a fire or explosion your insurance company may look askance at your plumbing efforts. I worked for a gas distribution company for seventeen years and know that several of the earlier responses are wrong. Soft copper tubing and flare fittings will work fine for most LPG applications as will black iron pipe and the high temperature pipe dope. Ask and be sure.
Larry
The quality of Chinese pipe and fittings is so low that I would favor copper. If the copper is Chinese I would time/pressure check the whole roll before I started using it.

Boucher
03-01-2010, 04:00 PM
I am in central Texas and I am having trouble finding 1/4" black pipe. I recently gave away several thousand feet of 1" and 1 1/4" to a guy that is making Hog traps. We lost our last old time hardware store here a couple of years ago. The big box stores don't carry it. The true value hardware stores in conjunction with lumber yards don't currently have it. The main hardware wholesaler is forty miles west and they also have a retail store but they are a pain in the A$$ to deal with. Again this is for outside use with fish fryers, pear burners and gas forges working off high pressure rubber hose from a near by tank.

Evan
03-01-2010, 04:34 PM
Use heavy wall flexible copper pipe and wrap it or paint it yellow. Copper is standard for LPG and it is also approved here for in home high pressure Natural gas installations. It much easier to work with and at only 2 psi leaks are not going to be an issue. It has been legal here for 20 years and I installed it in this house and have had no problems.

I wouldn't trust black iron pipe as far as I could ram it up......

The stuff is crap these days, mostly made in India and it takes threads about as well as mild steel takes a mirror finish. If you want leaks use black iron. If you are going to bury copper sleeve it in some PEX black tubing.

jeremy13
03-01-2010, 07:04 PM
I live in Texas and have a LPG license. The galvanized will work just fine. The old don't use galvanized pipe for gas is an old time rule. Back in the 50's and 60's and early 70's some gas could contain hydrogen-sulfide and react with the galvanizing. And cause leaks and flaking. Some cities have the no galvanize rule but that is simply black pipe means gas, galvanized pipe water and so on. The state dos not have a no galvanized for LPG rule. As you stated this is for out door equipment and will not fall under home building code. If in doubt contact the TXRRC for a rule explanation.
http://www.rrc.state.tx.us/

Lee in Texas
03-01-2010, 07:13 PM
I'm a plumber in Central Texas and can't believe black pipe can be so hard to find so close by. I've bought it at Morrison Supply on Springdale and 290. Phone 512-928-1110.

You might also try Moore Supply on Shoal Creek near MoPac and 183. Phone 512-454-4616.

If you want to be really high speed, get Crump to cut it to length and thread it for you. I did it a week ago today when I relocated a gas valve for a guy. Great prices, too. Phone 512-454-6622. Ask for Cheryl.

HSS
03-01-2010, 07:27 PM
Son of a gun, I didn't know plumbers knew how to type. Now don't that beat all.:D :D :D

Jim Shaper
03-01-2010, 08:39 PM
Son of a gun, I didn't know plumbers knew how to type. Now don't that beat all.:D :D :D

Reading many of the posts around here makes me wonder if machinists can read. :rolleyes: (not directed at you btw)

jeremy13
03-01-2010, 08:42 PM
I am not a plumber!! I sale Propane and Propane Accessories.;) O you mean the other guy yup he's a plumber.

im#2
03-01-2010, 08:51 PM
Guys, we have different laws in some states I guess. Here in Colorado we discourage use of galvanized in any gas usage and yes im in propane sales and service and have all the licenses and schooling it takes. High pressure is a different animal guys, there are a lot of things here than can hurt you bad and quick so be safe!

Lee in Texas
03-01-2010, 08:54 PM

That's cool. That's cool. I've got mad customer service skills. I've charged outrageous prices and been invited to stay for dinner...after rebuilding a commode. :D

ldbent
03-01-2010, 08:55 PM
I got to know a plumber I sold a lathe to. One time the subject of his hourly emergency rates came up. If the call required replacing the wax bowl ring he would hold it up under the customers nose and explain that it was the probable cause of the leak. He said that no one ever complained after being exposed to the ring.

HSS
03-01-2010, 09:02 PM
I've heard, Lee, that the difference between a pipe fitter and a plumber is, a pipe fitter can bite his nails. Any truth to that?:D

Patrick

wierdscience
03-01-2010, 09:07 PM
It's not the material it's the sizes your looking for.

1/8,1/4 and 3/8 pipe are getting scarce in long lengths,when you do find it the stuff costs the same price per foot as 1/2 or 3/4" pipe.

Unless you live near a major industrial center and can find a supply house that stocks it and will sell to an individual it's gonna be rough to find it.

McMaster-Carr has it in threaded lengths,but a 6' length of 1/4" costs $15.34

J. Randall
03-01-2010, 10:04 PM
And then there was the Dr. that called the plumber out in the middle of the night with a sewage leak in the house. The plumber got him fixed up in a timely fashion and presented him with a 650.00 dollar bill. The guy was outraged, and said why I am a Dr. and even I can't charge that much. The plumber calmly answered, yeah, neither could I when I was a Dr.
James

Lee in Texas
03-01-2010, 10:05 PM
It's not the material it's the sizes your looking for.

1/8,1/4 and 3/8 pipe are getting scarce in long lengths,when you do find it the stuff costs the same price per foot as 1/2 or 3/4" pipe.

Unless you live near a major industrial center and can find a supply house that stocks it and will sell to an individual it's gonna be rough to find it.

McMaster-Carr has it in threaded lengths,but a 6' length of 1/4" costs $15.34

So use 1/2". Too small is a problem. There's nothing wrong with upsizing.

Evan
03-01-2010, 11:10 PM
There's nothing wrong with upsizing.

Hah. More room for porosity. :eek: