PDA

View Full Version : computer memory

darryl
03-01-2010, 11:15 PM
I just had a friend give me some memory sticks for my P11 266. So far I've gotten by on two 32m sticks and one 64, for a whopping 128 megs of ram. Had problems with only 64m, but have been using the 128 megs now for ten years.

So I get these 256 meg sticks and one 512. Pull the others and put these in. Now the computer is stuck in a loop on startup. So I look more carefully at the ram- one of them is sdr and the others are pc 133. Took out the sdr and everything is fine.

So I guess I can't use the 512 sdr stick. Does that make sense for this old computer? Or is there a preferred 1st slot for ram- I'm thinking that if I put one of the pc sticks in the first slot and the sdr stick after that, it might work-? Or not- it doesn't really matter, I'm just curious about this.

The computer does seem to run faster now, even with non memory intensive applications. Probably a function of the ram being higher speed than my old sticks, yes?

By the way, the sdr stick fits the socket properly. And again, it's no big deal, I got by for so long with 128 megs that the 512 that's working in it now is already a major upgrade, a novelty more than anything.

Evan
03-02-2010, 12:07 AM
The motherboard can use either 2 sticks the same or one of a kind but not 2 sticks that are different. Very likely the motherboard doesn't support 512 meg ram sticks anyway. If you have been getting by on 128 mb then you will notice a big difference with 512 mb. The reason is that it no longer has to page everything out to the hard drive to make room for something new. Just loading Windows XP takes over 100 mb of ram and that is on a really clean system.

MTNGUN
03-02-2010, 12:11 AM
Darryl, you know, used desktops aren't that expensive. You should be able to pick up a used P4 desktop for $75 or so. Unless you are sentimentally attached to the 266 Mhz PII ?

Sorry, I dunno anything about sdr memory.

A.K. Boomer
03-02-2010, 12:22 AM
The motherboard can use either 2 sticks the same or one of a kind but not 2 sticks that are different. Very likely the motherboard doesn't support 512 meg ram sticks anyway. If you have been getting by on 128 mb then you will notice a big difference with 512 mb. The reason is that it no longer has to page everything out to the hard drive to make room for something new. Just loading Windows XP takes over 100 mb of ram and that is on a really clean system.

Evan, if what your saying is true you might just have solved an intermittent lock up problem Iv been having, I just updated to a 1 gig on my ram but kept the standard 256 in the other slot due to asking the question at the computer store if it was OK to do so,,, so was this geeky looking kid out to lunch?

Never had this problem till I put that in.

So should I just pull the 256 out?

Evan
03-02-2010, 12:29 AM
Take out the 256. Chance are very good that they have different timing requirements.

A.K. Boomer
03-02-2010, 12:40 AM
Done deal - im running just the one gig plate right now and well see what happens --- U know -- you keep your eyes and ears open and you never know what youll learn, this has been a mystery for me and also intermittently driving me nuts,
If this is the case this is an elementary error, and when a customer asks a direct question (like I did) and the reply is "it don't matter" then that kinda pisses me off to the point where they wont get my business again (UUUGGGHH)

Thanks Evan...

DaHui
03-02-2010, 01:57 AM
128mb? All I can say is wow! I don't mean to be rude, I'm genuinely amazed. This also explains why people complain that I have a persistent navigation bar on my website that "takes up too much realestate." Must have a monitor with 800x600 resolution.

What kind of internet connection are you on? I'm hoping you will buy a very cheap new computer and can report back your astonishment at the speed :) I ask about the connection because I would think you'd see a major leap in performance even in internet browsing if you have anything faster than dial up.

darryl
03-02-2010, 02:20 AM
Makes perfect sense- don't mix memory types, even if the motherboard will work with either.

I've had win 98 on the old machine for a long time now, and it's all it needs. No other operating system will ever be installed on that computer.

Maybe I'm sentimentally attached to it, I don't know, but it's still working. It fires up faster than this xp box, shuts down much more quickly, and I have my music on it, plus some of the software I have on it won't run on xp. It's going into the living room to be wired to the stereo system, so it remains useful to me as is. It doesn't limit me in any way. If it dies, that will be that.

I have a laptop as well, with xp on it, and a mac. I don't think I need any more :)

airsmith282
03-02-2010, 02:55 AM
default on the bios is usually set to match all sticks to same speed, anyhow its more then likely that the PII system you have will not and can not make use of 512 meg chips which was very comman in thoes old dogs the PIII i have had the odd one that would not use a 512 but 256 was never an issue..

512 chips are more comman in PIII but then you also have the fact again the most pcs just could not go to or past 768 some would not even go past 512 megs of ram,

BillDaCatt
03-02-2010, 08:42 AM
128mb? All I can say is wow! I don't mean to be rude, I'm genuinely amazed. This also explains why people complain that I have a persistent navigation bar on my website that "takes up too much realestate." Must have a monitor with 800x600 resolution.

What kind of internet connection are you on? I'm hoping you will buy a very cheap new computer and can report back your astonishment at the speed :) I ask about the connection because I would think you'd see a major leap in performance even in internet browsing if you have anything faster than dial up.

I have not seen your site, so I don't know what yours looks like but I can tell you that even at 1280x864 (the native resolution for my widescreen laptop) persistent navigation bars are frequently more in the way than they are useful. I am of the opinion that webmasters should spend more effort on content and less effort on fancy scripts and codes. Most of that stuff takes away from the experience rather than adding to it. (especially when it plays music) A simple menu on the top left of every page (no frame) works very nice for almost anything.