PDA

View Full Version : Help with mill on table it leaks with coolant

Brett Hurt
03-02-2010, 10:43 PM
I have a new grizzly 3617 milling machine, and the table has a leak well hole when the coolant in on. So is this right or wrong. It sprays out on me when it goes the gibs. What should I do about this I worry that it will mess up the gibs and rust.

EddyCurr
03-03-2010, 02:04 AM
I have a new grizzly 3617 milling machine and the table leaks when
the coolant is on.

So is this right or wrong? It sprays out on me when it goes on the gibs.Where is the leak? Is the hole threaded?

A drain-back hose is intended to be installed on the right end of the
table (in the photo below, the clear plastic drain hose appears to
be coming out of the table feed device.) Is this hose in place on
your machine?

Photo credit: Grizzly Tool
http://cdn2.grizzly.com/pics/jpeg500/g/g3617.jpg

Brett Hurt
03-03-2010, 10:18 AM
The leak is where they cut the gib on the bottom of the table by the power feed you can see the hole there is no screws or any thing just a machined surface in the way for the gib Brett ps will soluble b oil b hurt any thing in there

JoeFin
03-03-2010, 10:34 AM
Sounds like it is leaking where the power feed attaches to the table.

If your going to need to be using coolant you really should construct a acrylic box that surrounds your table and allows the coolant to pour back into the table drain system. That and some thin neoprene way covers with magnetic holders.

You have the link for the parts break down on that mill. Might be just a thin paper gasket will solve the leak

Scishopguy
03-03-2010, 12:54 PM
Yes, soluble oil will sour and etch steel ( at least the old style stuff with the bacteria in it did) if left to it's own devices. If it is a casting flaw or something like that you may have to dissassemble the gib so as to drill and tap a plug into it. On the other hand, Grizzly may exchange it if it is a faulty casting. Just a thought.

SGW
03-03-2010, 03:14 PM
I'm still not entirely clear exactly what the problem is. Are you saying that in the manufacture of the machine a drilling or milling operation cut through a surface it shouldn't have and left a hole?

If so, depending on how energetic you are, you ought to be able to get a replacement part, but that may be somewhat of a hassle.

Otherwise, can you put epoxy in/over the hole to seal it?

JoeFin
03-03-2010, 04:15 PM
Yes, soluble oil will sour and etch steel ( at least the old style stuff with the bacteria in it did).

Yep - but now days with ENCO selling a self contained coolant pump/sump for less then $100 there is no need to use the sump in the base of the mill other then to pump what little accumulates there into the ENCO sump. That and a $10 fish tank aerator to kill/control bacteria and the problem is solved.

It depends - if your working with Hard Steels were your tool life can be extended 4 - 5 times with coolant, then it doesn't take too many endmills to pay for itself

Scishopguy
03-04-2010, 02:55 PM
The etching problem I was referring to is when coolant wicks behind vise jaws, on bedways, and under tooling and sits. When you take the tooling off the table, the surfaces will be dark and smell bad. The old coolant used bacteria to suspend oil in water and would sour if not agitated. The aeriator will do nicely to keep the tank fresh and prolong coolant life but will do nothing toward the etching problem. I have not used the new soluble oils since having to deal with all the health problems and machine related problems years ago I use the brush and squirt can method now.

Davo J
03-04-2010, 06:20 PM
I have this same mill but an Australian model. Any chance of a picture of the spot. Also how old is it? Grizzly may be able to help (as said above) if it is a bad casting. There are a usually 4 bolt holes in the end for the power feed there are also 2 taper pins for alighnment are any of these missing.
Davo

Black_Moons
03-04-2010, 06:46 PM
Never heard of coolants 'using' bacteria before, just thought it often gets contaminated by anything that can live in there, with oxygen fearing bacteria typicaly being the bad nasty ones that make bad smells and can give you infections in cuts. Hence the air stones.

spope14
03-04-2010, 07:14 PM
Bingo with the air stones. I teach machining and leave machines dormant for eight to ten weeks a year. Installed a few fish tank pumps in the shop, knowing the maintenance crew uses the shop on a regular basis throughout the summer. They come in, turn on the main power, and four pumps turn on and run air through a series of air stones (I made a "system" to hook up four per tank of 30 to 50 gal) and keeps things stirred up.

As for your leak, start off by jamming plumbers putty in the leak area(s) until isolated - unless they are actually coolant line returns. If they are sheet metal to casting leaks or casting leaks, this solves it for a while, then you fill the area with Blue Silicon sealer. Build a plexiglass guard for coolant control as well, as noted. If it is a tapped hole without reason but tapped, fill eht hole with a set screw and silicon.

As for bacteria eating oil, I have a parts cleaner made by Graymills that uses a product called "Bioclean". The bacteria eats the oil in the parts cleaner, and I actually have to "feed" the bacteria a pint of oil twice per month when the system is not in regular use. You can add this bacteria to coolant tanks as well, supposed to clean up sump oil. I did this in my 50 gallon tank on my machining center, no coolant stink as of yet 12 months later.