PDA

View Full Version : Need a part for a Vernon vertical mill

xeddog
03-05-2010, 07:52 PM
My son's friend has a Vernon vertical mill (the jig borer), and he needs a part for it. Specifically, the collet nut. The threads on the end of the quill are 1 1/2" x 16 tpi, and they extend only .400" from the shoulder on the quill. The center of the hole in the end of the quill is .832". I have read that it is supposed to use Browne & Sharpe #7 collets, but I have also read that 3AT works too.

I would attach a picture, but I guess I am not authorized to do that. Hope my description is good and that I used the correct terminology.

Anyone have any ideas??

Thanks,

Wayne

Mcgyver
03-05-2010, 10:24 PM
other than making one not sure where to point you.....but pics are easy. no one is authorized, this site doesn't host. Set up a photobucket account (fast and free hosting), up the pic and post the link in the thread...there is sticky at the top of list of threads giving more detail

personally i like it better that it doesn't host, some that do are painfully slow whereas photobucket always seems super fast

xeddog
03-06-2010, 12:19 AM
personally i like it better that it doesn't host, some that do are painfully slow whereas photobucket always seems super fast

My only gripe with NOT hosting is all the threads I have you gone to read where all the photos are just boxes that say photo no longer available. I've come across quite a few and I find it irritating. Most, if not all, are photobucket accounts that dont' exist any more. Photobucket accounts come and go, especially go, far too often. Just add a couple of two gig disk drives and host a few gazillion photos. That's my opinion and I'm stickin' to it.

Wayne

Too_Many_Tools
03-07-2010, 10:59 PM
My son's friend has a Vernon vertical mill (the jig borer), and he needs a part for it. Specifically, the collet nut. The threads on the end of the quill are 1 1/2" x 16 tpi, and they extend only .400" from the shoulder on the quill. The center of the hole in the end of the quill is .832". I have read that it is supposed to use Browne & Sharpe #7 collets, but I have also read that 3AT works too.

I would attach a picture, but I guess I am not authorized to do that. Hope my description is good and that I used the correct terminology.

Anyone have any ideas??

Thanks,

Wayne

I for one would like to see some pictures of this relatively rare machine posted.

Thanks

TMT

xeddog
03-08-2010, 12:14 AM
I for one would like to see some pictures of this relatively rare machine posted.

Thanks

TMT

Get me a nut and I'll get you all the pictures you want. :D If you just want to see what one looks like then there is this:

http://www.lathes.co.uk/vernon/

Seriously, I'll try to get some pictures one of these days. It is located at my son's friends place and I just can't go walking in over there. At least not yet. If I can get the nut he will give me a key and I can go whenever I need to do some milling.

Wayne

Too_Many_Tools
03-14-2010, 01:01 PM
Get me a nut and I'll get you all the pictures you want. :D If you just want to see what one looks like then there is this:

http://www.lathes.co.uk/vernon/

Seriously, I'll try to get some pictures one of these days. It is located at my son's friends place and I just can't go walking in over there. At least not yet. If I can get the nut he will give me a key and I can go whenever I need to do some milling.

Wayne

Got those pictures yet? ;<)

xeddog
03-14-2010, 06:09 PM
Got that nut yet?? :D

Nah. I haven't even spoken to the kid lately. He can be hard to track down. He just recently changed his work schedule to have Wednesdays off, so maybe I can catch him then. Problem is, he is really "whipped" and his wife usually has quite a list of things for him to do. heh heh heh. I have the gas tank for his outboard motor over here and I can't get him to pick that up either. Been something like 6 months now.

But I'll get them someday.

xeddog

Too_Many_Tools
03-14-2010, 06:43 PM
Got that nut yet?? :D

Nah. I haven't even spoken to the kid lately. He can be hard to track down. He just recently changed his work schedule to have Wednesdays off, so maybe I can catch him then. Problem is, he is really "whipped" and his wife usually has quite a list of things for him to do. heh heh heh. I have the gas tank for his outboard motor over here and I can't get him to pick that up either. Been something like 6 months now.

But I'll get them someday.

xeddog

Well I'll be interested in seeing the pictures when you get them.

As for the nut, better plan on getting it made..that machine is rare at best.

TMT

xeddog
03-14-2010, 07:34 PM
Well I'll be interested in seeing the pictures when you get them.

As for the nut, better plan on getting it made..that machine is rare at best.

TMT

I gathered that. So far I have only found one other person that has one, and of course he has no spare nut and no source for any parts at all. But he did send me a picture of the nut. :D . . .or at least A nut.

xeddog

btw, the kid that owns the mill has not even taken a paper towel to it in the year or so that he has had it. It is FILTHY to say the least. You can almost see the green paint under all the filth. I told him that if I get the nut, I am not going to give it to him until he cleans and lubes the poor thing.

Too_Many_Tools
03-15-2010, 03:02 PM
I gathered that. So far I have only found one other person that has one, and of course he has no spare nut and no source for any parts at all. But he did send me a picture of the nut. :D . . .or at least A nut.

xeddog

btw, the kid that owns the mill has not even taken a paper towel to it in the year or so that he has had it. It is FILTHY to say the least. You can almost see the green paint under all the filth. I told him that if I get the nut, I am not going to give it to him until he cleans and lubes the poor thing.

Perhaps you should take the machine off his hands. ;<)

I have seen pieces of this machine...extremely well build.

I had also seen one retrofited with a Bridgeport M head...a consideration that your friend may want to consider.

TMT

xeddog
03-15-2010, 04:01 PM
Perhaps you should take the machine off his hands. ;<)
I've thought about it. A lot.

I have seen pieces of this machine...extremely well build.
Pieces??? Who had the pieces? Maybe I can contact them to see if they have the nut. I would rather buy a "real" one rather than try to make one mainly because I don't think I have the necessary skills yet. For example, The inside surface of the nut that contacts the collet should be radiused to match the collet. I don't even have a clue how I could do that (yet). I would just have to cut it square and have a very small contact point on the collet.

As for the Vernon itself, from what I have read and been told, it is good and solid as a boring machine, but not so much a mill. Light duty only. I still think it would most likely do what I want of it.

I had also seen one retrofited with a Bridgeport M head...a consideration that your friend may want to consider.
Now it's MY turn. Let's see the pictures!!!! :D

Too_Many_Tools
03-15-2010, 04:13 PM
I've thought about it. A lot.

Pieces??? Who had the pieces? Maybe I can contact them to see if they have the nut. I would rather buy a "real" one rather than try to make one mainly because I don't think I have the necessary skills yet. For example, The inside surface of the nut that contacts the collet should be radiused to match the collet. I don't even have a clue how I could do that (yet). I would just have to cut it square and have a very small contact point on the collet.

As for the Vernon itself, from what I have read and been told, it is good and solid as a boring machine, but not so much a mill. Light duty only. I still think it would most likely do what I want of it.

Now it's MY turn. Let's see the pictures!!!! :D

LOL..sorry but that was about ten years ago.

It's one of the reasons why I would like to see a whole machine...from what I have seen of the M head conversion and the other disassembled parts the machine would seem to be a good machine.

As for it being a so-so mill...convert it with a M-head and it would be a great little mill.

TMT

xeddog
03-15-2010, 09:11 PM
LOL..sorry but that was about ten years ago.

Well fooey!

Too_Many_Tools
03-15-2010, 09:17 PM
Well fooey!

I wouldn't be discouraged.

Knowing that someone was able to retrofit a Bridgeport M head on the machine means you can too.

Consider it to be Plan B if you can't get that nut made.

TMT

xeddog
03-16-2010, 11:46 PM
Well hotel echo lima lima. I took a few pictures of the Vernon with my cell phone today, and I don't have a way to attach them here. And I don't like, or believe in sites like photo bucket. Rats. If you would like to see them, pm me you email address.

Wayne