X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aboard_epsilon
    • Oct 2004

OT Jeans Button Rivets.. ideas anyone ?

Ive bean cheap and bought a pile of jeans from market stall for £2.50 each...about 20 pairs all seconds .now i know why ...lol

no possibility of taking them back..as sold as is

trouble is the button just fell off one ..

and looking at them i expect the rest to follow soon

any recommendations for a riveting kit.........second hand off ebay at a cheap price would be great.

I don't know the terminology or the makes of said machines or what is a quality one or rubbish one.

I see sets of buttons described as hammer on ..all sorts of ideas .

what i want to know is.. whats the best solution for my money.

hope to make good ...and still come out on top .

all the best.markj
  • Tony Ennis
    • Oct 2009

It sounds like you're not going to be wearing these if the Queen visits. So, two brass washers, a brass rod, and some hammerwork and you should be good.

Comment

• Tony Ennis
      • Oct 2009

Ah, when I have a pair of worn-out jeans, I use the wife's serger to convert them into denim bags. My sockets, loose tools, and disassembled projects all live in bags.

It takes no skill to make them.

Comment

• Circlip
        • Jun 2008

Look for a dressmaking supplies shop ( yea I know, China and India screwed that one for us) Tuckers were bifurcated and tubular eyelet and rivet makers. Perhaps yer local Chandlery may be able to help??

Regards Ian.
        You might not like what I say,but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

Comment

• lynnl
          • Jan 2002

I think I've seen kits for doing that sort of thing at sewing supply outlets.

But if t'were me I think I'd just sew on regular buttons.
          Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

• aboard_epsilon
            • Oct 2004

Originally posted by lynnl
            I think I've seen kits for doing that sort of thing at sewing supply outlets.

But if t'were me I think I'd just sew on regular buttons.
            i dont know if regular buttons would work without leaving them loose on the threads as the eyelets are quite thick.

all the bestt.markj

Comment

• Scishopguy
              • Feb 2006

You can use a standard button and sew it where the riveted one was. Just back it with a smaller button so that the threads don't pull through. I have used this approach to cheapo WalMart jeans. They have a thing that looks like a rivet but is really a plastic socket with a ball on a pin pressed into the back. Those fall off after a good meal and, once pulled out, will never hold again.
              Jim (KB4IVH)

Only fools abuse their tools.

Comment

• nheng
                • Jun 2002

Fabric store, arts and crafts store, etc. I know they have eyelets and setting tools but if you're lucky you may find decorative ones for clothing with tool.

If you want matching, you'll have to do them all. That's what the other $40 is for

Comment

• RPM
                  • Aug 2001

The standard way to sew buttons with a thick buttonhole is to extend the button so that it's say 1/4" away from the fabric, with as you say, threads extending this distance, then you wrap the cotton thread around the extended threads, making a sort of rope, then put the needle through the rope a few times to finish up - 3-4 mins per button easy

Richard in Los Angeles (Sailmaker in a past life)

Comment

• Ries
                    • Sep 2004

I know in Blighty you guys still use the cast iron treadle powered computers, but over here in the colonies, we have this newfangled thing called google- and less than 30 seconds gave me this-

Most sewing supply stores here have these in stock.

I think they may still have interwebs, made of wooden tubes held together by iron hoops, over there-

look here-

99 pence for ten of em-

Comment

• aboard_epsilon
                      • Oct 2004

Originally posted by Ries
                      I know in Blighty you guys still use the cast iron treadle powered computers, but over here in the colonies, we have this newfangled thing called google- and less than 30 seconds gave me this-

Most sewing supply stores here have these in stock.

I think they may still have interwebs, made of wooden tubes held together by iron hoops, over there-

look here-

99 pence for ten of em-
                      hey... there is no better searcher than myself ..

but here, im asking what is best for my needs and fit for the purpose..not where to find it.

all the best.markj

Comment

• rohart
                        • Aug 2002

Now wait a minute - you know how to make a good looking screw together two piece nicely polished brass button, don't you ? You're going to wear all your jeans at once, so you only need one, or at the most two, buttons.

I made my button when a really good pair shed its button within days.

Make your button, and make it so you can detach it quickly when you send one pair to the wash and wear the next pair. And rip the buttons off all of them once and for all.

You probably won't even want to wear these crappy market stall jeans as "best casuals" anyway, so you may only need one pair on the go, and wash them when you[ve got your Sunday-best on.

I'm sorry if I've diverted this post to be on topic after all !
                        Richard - SW London, UK, EU.

Comment

• Mcruff
                          • Aug 2003

I had several pair of jeans that the rivets fell off of in short order. A local cleaners put new ones back on for $1.00 each and took less than 10 minutes to do it.

Comment

• Your Old Dog
                            • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Tony Ennis
                            It sounds like you're not going to be wearing these if the Queen visits. So, two brass washers, a brass rod, and some hammerwork and you should be good.
                            I do about the same but use 1/8th aluminum welding rod. It's a fantasticly fast way to rivet aluminum projects in the shop. I just cut them a tad proud with dykes.
                            - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                            Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

• psomero
                              • Dec 2004

on a similar note, what the heck is the little hook deal that's used on pants like dickies called?

i have a few pairs which had the receiver side tear out due to it being so ridiculously small after i had a large meal. total weak link in the pants, which are otherwise indestructable.
                              -paul

Comment

Working...
                              X