PDA

View Full Version : Atlas 10x24...Good Deal or Bad???

Andrew_D
03-07-2010, 03:29 PM
Here's the ad:

http://winnipeg.en.craigslist.ca/tls/1618002380.html

Atlas 10 metal lathe-24" bwtween centers-16 spindle speeds-timken bearings-power cross & longitudinal feeds-back gears for power-gear set & threading dial for cutting all threads. INCLUDES: 3 & 4 jaw chucks,drill chucks,steady rest,operation manual,face plate,drill pad,lathe dogs,tool holders,knurling tool,boring tool holder,crotch center & much more.

I just came across it and wondered whether the masses thought it was a deal or not? Haven't talked to the guy yet though.

I'd like something in the 12-14 inch swing, but then again, this would be a major upgrade from my 7x12.

About 4 hours away though...:(

Andrew

vpt
03-07-2010, 03:39 PM
I got all that plus some for 600.00 by me. I would say the most I would spend if everything was good is 800.

tyrone shewlaces
03-07-2010, 03:49 PM
The only "interesting" bits listed are the drilling pad and crotch center, neither of which will be used much if at all. Just interesting because you don't see them much. I guess the bits you see most often are the ones you use, hehe. Otherwise pretty standard tooling list.

10x24 Atlas for $1350 sounds way high to me. Atlas was OK. They were made to be decent at the price point to feed the masses, but they aren't what you'd call a fine machine. They aren't even as nice as Southbend, which in my opinion are also not great machines, but they are OK too. Atlas usually lacks bells & whistles that you miss when they aren't there, and lots of the parts are made of that "pot metal" or zing casting stuff that wears out and can't be built up to be repaired. It might indeed be a step up from a 7x12, but not much of one.

Around here (and that's the big problem for some folks out in the sticks) for $1350 you could expect to eventually come across a 12" to 16" swing lathe of better quality and decent basic tooling list. Hell, a few years back I picked up an old Hardinge HLV with most of the tooling for $1600 - needed TLC but not blown out either. It was a four-hour drive each way too, but I don't think I'd drive 4 hours round trip for a $100 Atlas - then again I'm not jonesing for a machine either so...

Having said all that, if you were to go look at it and find that it's in excellent shape, and in your area you find machinery really hard to come by, then it would probably serve you for a few years. If you think you're already hesitating because of size and quality issues, you'll only feel worse about that as time goes by.

J Tiers
03-07-2010, 03:54 PM
Unless your area is a machine desert, that's way high.

For that money here you can get an 11" Logan, a much nicer machine.

That price is for a nice machine, with taper attachment, QC box, collet adapter and collets, maybe milling attachment.

The problem is that the machine in question does NOT have that stuff. It is about a $650 machine here.

dexter
03-07-2010, 04:00 PM
If it had a quick change gearbox (QCGB) then I may pay in the $800 CDN range if it is in good condition; meaning the ways are still parallel and not worn to hell, the lead screw is healthy and the pot metal (zamak) gears are not sloppy and still have all their teeth.

I once bought a 10" x 36" Atlas with a QCGB for $200, but it needed a leadscrew. I didn't bother to repair it, but sold it to another guy, who did. I beleive he sold it for $1200 and it looked like new when he was finished with it.

Daminer
03-07-2010, 04:12 PM
I've owned several atlas//craftsman lathes over the years (Still have a 6" & 12") and I also think this one overpriced.....You'll get tired of changing gears to vary feeds and threads very quickly.....The 10" & 12"s I've had came with QC gearboxes, so I'm spoiled.....The 6" has the gearset, so I rarely thread on it.....

The seller may have the thought of "let's run it up the flagpole and see if anyone salutes it" (the price).....Myself, I'd offer $750-800 and see if he'd start bargaining.....

Jim

chuckinnc
03-09-2010, 10:18 AM
I bought one for $400, was ok for turing but I hated the change gears so
much I didn't use them. Small >3/4" hole through the spindle was a big problem also. Mine didn't have the rest either so I bought a 12x36 from HF and liked it so much I later bought a 7X12 to. I would go to a Logan or SB
for a used lathe & skip the Atlas/Craftsman, if I had done this to begin with
then I would not have bought a import lathe.

Toolguy
03-09-2010, 10:36 AM
I say good advice from all.

Tinkerer
03-09-2010, 11:17 AM
Hey I have had a Old Atlas 10F change gear lathe for years and have done a ton of chips on it.... and made some really nice parts as well :D. Not had any trouble with the Zimak parts and I guess neither had the other owners since the 30's. And it's not like it's my only machine as I picked up a Sheldon a while back but still turn to the Ol' Atlas more often then not. But the price seems a tad high... course the extras could be a Kennedy box chucked full of goodies. I'd go and look at it and toss an offer at em' and see what they say. You'll know what your willing to go for it once you see it in person. But the $600-$800 range is about right for this economy unless your in a tool desert.

Tony Ennis
03-09-2010, 02:42 PM
I would not pay $1350 for that lathe. It's simply too much for an Atlas, especially a short-bed variety. It has roughly the rigidity of a garden-variety Chicom 9x so consider it along those lines with regard to price. And a new Chicom 9x20 is about $700.

If you're ready for a step up there are better options.

packrat
03-09-2010, 03:57 PM
I sold my Atlas just like that one for $500 and it had a milling attachment....

gregl
03-09-2010, 11:15 PM
I vote with the price-is-too-high crowd. I've had an Atlas 12 for 20 years and it is a useful machine for a model maker. The cross slide and tailstock are light enough for all the moving about I do when making one-off small parts. But the small spindle hole, overall lack of rigidity and limited collet capacity are considerable drawbacks. The average depth of cut seems to max out at about .030 before bogging down or chattering. I would recommend looking for a sturdier machine even if you're only making small parts that will fit into your hand.

The ad mentions "other stuff" so therein lies the real answer to the price. If said other stuff is just toolbits and junk, I think you can do better. OTOH, some of the tooling, such as the milling attachment, taper attachment and so on, bring unrealistically (IMHO) high prices on Ebay, so that's a consideration.

CCWKen
03-09-2010, 11:51 PM
The only "interesting" bits listed are the drilling pad and crotch center, neither of which will be used much if at all.

I'm glad I have mine. :D I use the drilling pad every time I start a large thread die. I have die holders for the small dies but I have to use a die stock for the 2" and up. The drill pad helps start it square. The crotch center is handy for drilling pipe and rod. It doesn't get a lot of use but it's handy to have just the same. I've never heard anyone here throw out a tool because it wasn't used every day.

Oh yeah, forgot... The price to too high.

vpt
03-10-2010, 10:21 AM
I scored a X Y atlas table not long ago for 80 bux that I use on my DP. Best investment ever! If I need to the X Y table will replace my cross slide on the lathe.

Andrew_D
03-11-2010, 03:28 PM
I finally got around to phoning this guy.

He is pretty firm on the price. He has hardly ever used it. It belonged to his father-in-law. Has always been in a heated shop. There are 2 or 3 coffee cans and 1 box of extra stuff. He is going to take some pictures and e-mail them to me. It'll depend what else is in the cans/box, so I guess we'll see what happens.

Andrew

Andrew_D
03-12-2010, 10:18 PM
Here are some pics...These are in "snapfish"...You don't have to join to view the pics, just click on the links.

Pic 1 (http://www5.snapfish.com/slideshow/AlbumID=4016701014/PictureID=171713692014/a=2405923027_82590981/otsc=SHR/otsi=SPIClink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfish/)
Pic 2 (http://www5.snapfish.com/slideshow/AlbumID=4016701014/PictureID=171713693014/a=2405923027_82590981/otsc=SHR/otsi=SPIClink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfish/)
Pic 3 (http://www5.snapfish.com/slideshow/AlbumID=4016701014/PictureID=171713694014/a=2405923027_82590981/otsc=SHR/otsi=SPIClink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfish/)
Pic 4 (http://www5.snapfish.com/slideshow/AlbumID=4016701014/PictureID=171713695014/a=2405923027_82590981/otsc=SHR/otsi=SPIClink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfish/)
Pic 5 (http://www5.snapfish.com/slideshow/AlbumID=4016701014/PictureID=171713696014/a=2405923027_82590981/otsc=SHR/otsi=SPIClink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfish/)

Pics 3, 4, 5 - I believe that everything you see is included.
Pics 1, 2 - I'm pretty sure the stuff on the walls is not included. The wooden case is included and so far I am assuming that everything on the bench around the lathe is included as well.

So it looks a little rusty is places...not good, but if he hasn't been using it, rust is understandable I guess. Hopefully it hasn't worked itself too deep.

On the other hand, turns out I'm making a trip to Winnipeg soon, so if he hasn't sold it, I may drive the extra hour and look at it.

Thoughts...???

Andrew