PDA

View Full Version : member classification

pasofino
03-07-2010, 06:34 PM
I noticed that some members are shown as senior members and others as just members. what is the difference?

DFMiller
03-07-2010, 06:36 PM
I believe it has to do with the number of posts. I think its 100 to become and old guy. Then there is Evan and John :-)

tyrone shewlaces
03-07-2010, 10:29 PM
Then there is Evan and John :-)

Who we interchangeably call "crusty" and "cranky"

...or was it "Doc" & "Sneezy" ?

just noticed: I'm a Senior. I thought I was laying low. Must have been doing so for quite a while.

John Stevenson
03-08-2010, 04:14 AM
Who we interchangeably call "crusty" and "cranky"

...or was it "Doc" & "Sneezy" ?

Thank you, that's the nicest thing anyone has said to me all year :rolleyes:

J Tiers
03-08-2010, 08:18 AM
Being a "senior member" means you've wasted more time posting here, and that much less doing what the site is about!

Mcgyver
03-08-2010, 09:04 AM
the classification for the vast majority here should "good guy, trying to learn" with the occasional "good guy, really knows what he's doing"...i'm in the former.....well in the trying to learn part, i'm not always good. Being that its the internet, there's also a peppering of kooks, nutbars, emotionally needy, asswipes, posers and wannabes to be on the lookout for.

to liven things up, I propose the software be modified so that each of the above classifications appears by each members name....other members can click to vote, whatever one gets the most votes becomes that persons classification.

what would yours be or did i miss some catagories? :D

knudsen
03-08-2010, 09:33 AM
Senior members have spent too much shop time behind their keyboard :D

Evan
03-08-2010, 10:03 AM
other members can click to vote, whatever one gets the most votes becomes that persons classification.

Turn it around. Which ever one YOU assign to others becomes your classification. :D

tyrone shewlaces
03-08-2010, 10:32 AM
Thank you, that's the nicest thing anyone has said to me all year.

yer welcome Johnny.
The nicest thing people do for me is to not say what they want to say about me, so thank you as well for not saying so. :D

saltmine
03-08-2010, 12:35 PM
Is it true that Evan and John were posting on this site long before electricity was invented?

Davo J
03-08-2010, 06:27 PM
Is it true that Evan and John were posting on this site long before electricity was invented?

But they were clever and inventive back then as well. They had the local kids pedaling a bike which was hooked up to a generator. The generator ran to the typewriter which was connected to the phone line.
And we think we have it hard these days.
Davo

saltmine
03-08-2010, 06:32 PM
Well, at least they made use of the local labor.

My last computer wasn't even coal fired, it was a wood burning model. I had to get up early, gather firewood, and wait an hour for it to get up a good head of steam before I could log on. I think the manufacturer's name was Burroughs. (or was that Brabbage?)

Jules Verne used a newer model.

vpt
03-08-2010, 07:03 PM
Yes, it was just a book in the library than.

bollie7
03-08-2010, 09:07 PM
while on this subject , Some people can post attachments but others, myself included can't. Does anyone know the reason for that?
bollie7

Davo J
03-08-2010, 09:12 PM
You will need somewhere to host you photos. I use Glacern as they are advertising on here.The instructions are on there as well.
http://www.glacern.net/
You can also use photo bucket.
Davo

Davo J
03-08-2010, 09:27 PM
After you have uploaded your photos on Glacern keep the link in a folder for latter use.
When you click on the (Post Reply) you are taken to the (Reply to thread) screen. On the second row down from the top of the message box you will see a square yellow and black icon which looks to be a picture of mountains. Click on this, another small window will pop up, then insert your address you got from Glacern and push OK and it's done.
Hope that helps.
Davo

snowman
03-08-2010, 09:50 PM
But they were clever and inventive back then as well. They had the local kids pedaling a bike which was hooked up to a generator. The generator ran to the typewriter which was connected to the phone line.
And we think we have it hard these days.
Davo

Phone line? You mean tin can that Evan hammered into perfect parabolic form so that it would pick up not only the keys, but also the cryptographic messages sent in the rythym.

The string is spun from only the finest brazillian mouse hairs,which Evan just happened to have on hand because the man has an underground warehouse the size of Manhattan.

Falcon67
03-08-2010, 10:46 PM
Buncha Johnny-come-latelys. I was using the Internet PG (pre-Gore) when the primary interface still said DIXIE on the side. :p

tyrone shewlaces
03-09-2010, 12:37 AM
Phone line? You mean tin can that Evan hammered into perfect parabolic form

Hell they didn't have tin cans OR parabolas back when I was a kid. We had to carry our corn to school in a rock.

Toolguy
03-09-2010, 09:34 AM
Wow. The first liar hasn't got a prayer around this place. I feel right at home!

bollie7
03-11-2010, 04:52 PM
After you have uploaded your photos on Glacern keep the link in a folder for latter use.
When you click on the (Post Reply) you are taken to the (Reply to thread) screen. On the second row down from the top of the message box you will see a square yellow and black icon which looks to be a picture of mountains. Click on this, another small window will pop up, then insert your address you got from Glacern and push OK and it's done.
Hope that helps.
Davo

Thanks for the info Davo

regards
bollie7

gmatov
03-12-2010, 12:22 AM
JTiers has an average of about 4 posts per day in over 6 years. I don't think that is spending all your time talking when you should have been working.

(Tho' I have read so many of his that I would have thought he wrote more.)

McGyver is 1 1/2 half per day for his 5 years.

John Stevenson has been here 9 years, 9447 posts, less than 3 per day.

Even Evan, here not quite 7 years, only has 29,000 posts, about 11 per day, and most of those in interactions that require questions and answers, multiple posts per topic.

I wish Evan only had 30 posts. Some of you would be whining that you are missing SO much information that you would LOVE to have, rather than wondering why you are considered "new". The site would be less informative, but that would, I presume, suit you? We don't need all them smart people?

I thought that people joined these forii to learn, not to bitch that they are not automatically considered "Masters". Most do. My credentials are at least as good as yours. I joined as a newbie. I can't send in my card and be considered a Master mechanic.

I will make statements that are pertinent, or I will get put down. You will do the same, and to bitch that YOU should start out as a "Master" is ludicrous.

Post, and when you get to a certain number, regardless, as you will definitely see, whether they make sensible statements or not, they will get a bump in post count, and when you hit the bar, you will become a Senior Member.

41 more and you won't ask this again. Does it really bother you? 9 years, 51 comments? You must not be TOO interested in the board. Lurk as much as you like.

Cheers,

George