X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • madman
    • Sep 2004

Filter for Honing Tank

Well new honing tank pump hone stones all sitting in the shop. NOW have to think of a good way to filter out the Honing oil (xpensive stuff) to keep it in good shape(clean i mean) Any ideas for a home made filter system? Tomatoe can full of holes with think pink insulation inside or automotive type filters.? I think the auto filters may p[lug quite rapidly from Honing grit? Thanx Guys Mike
  • MuellerNick

I recently bought some filter "paper". Find a dealer in your country, describe the problem and order. That's almost cheap like dirt. 400mm wide and 100m long costed less than 40.- EUR. You can make sacks on your Singer and throw them away if dirty enough.

But you need some consulting because material depends on what you want to filter and how fine. I'm using it on my cylindrical grinder for the coolant.

Nick

Comment

• Oldbrock
      • Dec 2007

Esso have a much cheaper honing oil than Sunnen, Frequent cleaning of any kind of filter is a pain but a must. The cast iron plugs any filter quite quickly. I think, without going out to the shop, it's called Exxcut. Peter
      The difficult done right away. the impossible takes a little time.

Comment

• LES A W HARRIS
        • Mar 2003

Hone Oil Filter

Originally posted by madman
        Well new honing tank pump hone stones all sitting in the shop. NOW have to think of a good way to filter out the Honing oil (xpensive stuff) to keep it in good shape(clean i mean) Any ideas for a home made filter system? Tomatoe can full of holes with think pink insulation inside or automotive type filters.? I think the auto filters may p[lug quite rapidly from Honing grit? Thanx Guys Mike
        MM,

Long Long Ago, there used to be an oil filter one got at the auto part store, that used a roll of toilet paper as a filter. We put them in line from the pumps on our Sunnen's worked great, do not know what's out there these days.

Cheers, Les.
        Les H.
        The Impossible Takes Just A Little Bit Longer!

Comment

• John Stevenson
          • Mar 2001

Originally posted by LES A W HARRIS
          MM,

Long Long Ago, there used to be an oil filter one got at the auto part store, that used a roll of toilet paper as a filter. We put them in line from the pumps on our Sunnen's worked great, do not know what's out there these days.

Cheers, Les.
          Would that be a bog standard filter ?

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

• reggie_obe
            • Jun 2004

Look on the tptools website. The filter mentioned is sold by them as an air filter. http://www.tptools.com/p/74,110_1and...ir-Filter.html

Comment

• Falcon67
              • Jul 2009

Every honing tank I've seen in just about every hot rod shop had a dual Fram remote oil filter adapter on it with a pair of FL-1A Motorcraft filters hanging off it.
              Chris
              Merkel, Tx
              http://raceabilene.com/kelly/hotrod

Comment

• EddyCurr
                • May 2009

If media blockage is a known or suspected problem, one approach might
                be to include a gravity filtering mechanism - one or more settlement tanks
                in series where the working fluid flows through while particulate matter
                can precipitate out.

This does not have to be fancy. A couple of 2 gal fuel containers rigged
                with inlet/outlet fittings might work for a low flow rate. A conventional
                filter downstream would catch the fines.

Various heads for spin-on filters are available from agricultural and hydraulic
                parts suppliers. In Canada, the Princess Auto retail chain has a wide
                selection. Grainger, McMaster-Carr, Northern Tool & ect are other
                sources.

Any idea what size (in microns) that the honing particles will tend to be?
                If so, then this would help in determining the ideal filter media to choose.

Toilet paper rolls were used in the past because they happened to fit
                in the oil filter canisters and people thought it was a way of economizing.
                If you are familiar with the amount of lint excreted by a TP roll, you'll
                appreciate why their usage was a false savings.

Comment

• LES A W HARRIS
                  • Mar 2003

Bog Filter.

Originally posted by John Stevenson
                  Would that be a bog standard filter ?

Absolutely!

Oh my god, "Sid had five pints of ["Offillers"] last night , don't go to the Boggs for a while". Memory fade, forget spelling, are they still brewing that stuff?

Haven't been back since 85.

Cheers, Les.
                  Les H.

Comment

• boslab
                    • Dec 2007

stick a bloody big magnet in the oil, it helps
                    mark

Comment

• aboard_epsilon
                      • Oct 2004

Make a little wire basket and put in it coffee filters ..
                      This will be used to filter the water returning to the tank.

On your intake use a disposable fuel filter .this will remain mostly clean

the coffee filter will be cheap to replace easy to observe ..and can be replaced ..pardon the pun, in and instant

all the best.markj

Comment

• ecortech
                        • Feb 2006

Toilet paper roll type filters are still made and sold. Company's name is MotorGuard, these filters are used in many applications. Although the filter may look like a roll of toilet paper, and some people may use a roll from the outhouse, it's not the same.
                        These filter's are used in compressed air system's to filter and remove moisture, quite common in paint spraying, and Plasma cutting systems. They are one of the best filters made for this, many plasma companies will recommend you use only MotorGuard nothing else will do.
                        There are many other applications, including fuel, oil, hydraulic. etc.. google it their website will have all the info.

Ed

Comment

• madman
                          • Sep 2004

Interesting Ideas Guys

Toilet Paper doesnt it have a lot of lint so to speak? perhaps doesnt matter? I like the coffee filter idea, easy to change and cheap at the dollar store. then afterwards i can use the old ones for some shop spew OOPS i meant fresh Brew.

Comment

• Bruce Griffing
                            • Jan 2003

The toilet paper oil filters I remember are these..

Very popular in the late '60's and early '70's. I remember seeing lots of them when working in gas stations. At that time, it was commonplace to check the customer's oil level. I worked in gas stations all through college and saw lots of Frantz oil filters.

Comment

• LES A W HARRIS
                              • Mar 2003

That's It!

Originally posted by Bruce Griffing
                              The toilet paper oil filters I remember are these..

Very popular in the late '60's and early '70's. I remember seeing lots of them when working in gas stations. At that time, it was commonplace to check the customer's oil level. I worked in gas stations all through college and saw lots of Frantz oil filters.

That's the one, a roll a month/ Machine, depending on how many parts you run.

Honed soft/hard steels, aluminum & Titanium parts.

Cheers, Les.

Les H.

Comment

Working...
                              X