PDA

View Full Version : Turning a profit - pun



MotorradMike
03-11-2010, 11:59 AM
Hi guys:

This may be more exciting for me than you but it's the first time I've made money with my Chicom lathe which works way better than reasonably expected.

A friends neighbour bought a photography enlarger that had a stripped section of thread.
You can see it on the left. On the right is a bolt I decided to press into the original part.
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4034/4425257710_20e6a7281c.jpg

Here it is again, bad bit cut off, new bolt pressed in .360 deep with Loctite 270.
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4004/4425259168_d590ce32c9.jpg

At this rate I'll have the machine paid off by 2017! Awesome.

Deja Vu
03-11-2010, 12:21 PM
Nice solution! Many might have turned/drilled a complete new piece.

Carld
03-11-2010, 12:24 PM
Nice job and I would have done it the same way but you might want to add a roll pin because some ham fisted person may manage to pull the bolt out while tightening the clamp.

Tony Ennis
03-11-2010, 12:38 PM
What manner of force has been on that bolt! Or is it 200 years old?

Black Forest
03-11-2010, 12:47 PM
Wow, I didn't realize that enlarging photo's got so physical. Those threads are really worn.

MotorradMike
03-11-2010, 02:44 PM
The original part must be leaded steel, it cut like butter. And didn't wear well.
I also think the clamp is always tightened at the same spot.

Thanks for the suggestion Carld. I "think" the Loctite is far stronger than necessary and I suppose this is a bit of an experiment. I'll fix it free if it fails.

ahidley
03-11-2010, 05:33 PM
If you used red or the larger gap/heat tolerant green loctite you'll twist off the shaft before the loctite gives. How many people broke off brake caliper bolts because they didnt know that loctite was used?????? Now if you used blue it may be possible for it to come apart eventually.....

thebusdweller
03-11-2010, 07:19 PM
You did good, Mike

gnm109
03-11-2010, 09:05 PM
I'm sure that someone could do better with a gigantic CNC machine and a few hundred thousand lines of code. LOL.

Just kidding. It sure looks good to me.

I repaired a Harley-Davidson sidecar axle the same way. The threaded portion where the axle nut went had been mushroomed by a fool who was beating on it with a giant hammer instead of using a puller.

I cut off the bad end and bored the remaining part 1-1/2" deep x 3/4" which was the size of the axle. I threaded the end 5/8-16 and pressed it in to the proper length. To hold it, I drilled a hole in each side of the outside and plug welded it. I could have used Loctite or a roll pin but I felt better with the weld since it was carrying a lot of weight.

Nice job! Let's hear it for those Chi-com lathes! :)