PDA

View Full Version : Sparks & Flames & Smoke ... OH MY !!

KiddZimaHater
03-11-2010, 11:32 PM
I think the little motor on my Enco bandsaw just died.
I'd been 'push-starting' the motor for the past 5 or 6 times I've used it, and tonight it sparked, flamed, and smoked.
The lights in the house even dimmed. Awesome !!!
I let it cool for 10 minutes, then tried again.
SPARK !!!! SMOKE !!!!! BBUUUZZZZZZZZ..........
Looks like I'll be buying yet another new motor tomorrow.:mad:

Richard-TX
03-12-2010, 03:36 AM
I'd been 'push-starting' the motor for the past 5 or 6 times I've used it,

I think the motor was trying to tell you something.

Davo J
03-12-2010, 03:46 AM
How old is it.
Davo

Sleazey
03-12-2010, 03:47 AM
Great, mine has started doing the same thing. Only I turn it off, tug the belt a bit to get it past some tight spot, and start it up. Then it runs fine.

Bguns
03-12-2010, 04:04 AM
1 Phase..... Start cap/ ~+ run cap, centrifigal switch, bearings, windings/ ~ start windings....

3 Phase..... Windings, bearings....... Smoother power, plug reverse, and VFD friendly...

Wonder why industry prefers 3 phase???

With a modern VFD, HSM'ers should too...

John Stevenson
03-12-2010, 04:35 AM
You could always run a ring main round the shop and buy some of those UK plugs and sockets.

You know, the big fat bulky ones the cousins love to laugh about.

You know, the ones with an individual fuse in them that protects the appliance in question.

You know, the ones designed to stop just what you have had happen.

You know, the ones designed to allow you to move appliances all round and still keep the same protection rating no matter where it's plugged in.

You know, forget it, that's too easy and you are too stubborn to change........

Bguns
03-12-2010, 04:39 AM
Gee John :)

Its not stubborn...

Just a lot of us are of Scottish heritage, and change costs money...

LOL...

Roughly 150 billion new receptacles needed to change over now...

Then there are the Plugs, All the 110 only equipment to scrap. Our code does not allow reuse of wire, carnage to all the interior walls, Labor, Inspection, etc,.................

Rough guess, 50 trillion or so... We will hop right on that...

You guys pay for it, we will do it....

interiorpainter
03-12-2010, 05:00 AM
The windings are toast. Could not be prevented by installing a new cap.
I have been push starting a 1 phase grinder for 5 years now.

Never thought about the fuse in the English plugs. You could put one in the junction box on top of the motor for the same purpose.
Will save your house from burning down but the motor is toast anyway.
Can't be saved short of a rewind.
Vdf on a bandsaw? You don't need to be Dutch to think that is unnessesary expensive:D

Bguns
03-12-2010, 05:06 AM
A grinder does not have to operate like a normal capacitor start/run motor, slow spin up is fine on a grinder.... On an Air compressor, your grinder motor would go up in flames...

A VFD costs a few dollars to ship at 5 pounds max.

A 30 pound motor costs a bit more....

A bandsaw with only, one step pulleys, is cheaper to build.

And cheap is fine, but I like to spend time making chips, not changing belts...

Same saw with VFD, would be happy with wood or steel... Blade changes needed of course...

EVguru
03-12-2010, 06:02 AM
The only reason we have a fuse in the UK plug is that we were so backward in adopting circuit breakers. My current house had been re-wired just 15 years ago, but still had the entire building on just four fuses, a lighting circuit and a ring circuit for each floor. A nice big breaker pannel and many more circuits went in quite soon.

I've tripped 40 amp breakers without blowing the 13 Amp fuse ('A' delay curve). The ring circuits in my workshop are on 16 Amp ('C' delay curve) breakers, rather than the permissable 32 Amp and will also trip the breaker before a 13 Amp fuse blows. Individual machines are on spur circuits with IEC309 16 Amp unfused plugs/sockets.

The fuse is the weak point in the 13 Amp plug, generating quite a lot of heat if you pull more than the recommended 2.2Kw. There's enough brass in the pins to be given a 50 Amp rating in the US, where connectors are allowed to run much hotter. The IEC plug on the end of a computer power lead is rated 15 Amp in the US, but only 10 Amp in Europe.