PDA

View Full Version : Paul Alciatore's "Quick-Change Tool Post"

Mike Burdick
03-13-2010, 06:08 PM
E. Paul Alciatore III,one of our members here, has a very well written article in this months Machinist's Workshop(February/March 2010 Volume 23 Number 1). The article is entitled "Quick-Change Tool Post. If anyone is interested in making one and/or need ideas take a look at his!

Boot
03-14-2010, 08:03 PM
I just made a tool post with a straight turn instead of the D shape as his. It works real good. No need for the triangular shaped tool holders mine are square and can have tools sticking out of 3 sides. I didn't incorpurate a height adjustment in the holders , but all I have to do is drill and tap for an adjustment screw. I made mine for a 3/8 tool and I use 1/4 tools with a 1/8 shim under them. I got the plans off this site somewhere? All made on my 9" South Bend. Boot

Bob Farr
03-14-2010, 08:44 PM
I enjoyed your article and I like your design Paul. I think I may take a swing at making one. Thanks for sharing your idea.

Bob

Paul Alciatore
03-15-2010, 03:18 AM
Bob,

Glad to hear you like it and are trying it. If you have any questions or problems, I am here. Please do let me know how it turns out.

Boot,

A round post would surely work and others have done this. But it does not provide the re-indexing that the D shape does. With that plus the height adjustment screw, you get repeatable positioning well within a thousanth when you remove and replace the holder.

I have also used 1/4" tools in mine and the adjustment screw eliminates the need for shims.