PDA

View Full Version : A weekend of indulgance and abaondon to pleasure.....

Mcgyver
03-13-2010, 08:27 PM
.....for a HS machinist anyways <insert grin smilies but i can only use four images <insert grrrr smilie>>

Put TWO lista tool boxes in the shop late in the week :eek: , went from two diy style red stacks to one stack and two listas.....if you ever get the chance, man what a difference!! draws that are a full 24" deep, open all the way and will take 400lbs each. they weight like 400 lbs each, took three to lift each into a pickup and two of us got them out. Would've killed a regular man! Moving 'em in meant machines had to be shifted around to get them down my shop's alley ways...but they're in and most tooling moved around. yippy

then, this super seven followed me home. Great deal on it, i pounced and she now resides in the garage. I don't think i'll keep her long term but have a few odd thread jobs it will be handy for. I have to say I finally get what our Brit friends have been harping about for all these years, it is just a beautifully made lathe. Very tight, smooth and accurate. the list for 7600 pounds right now, around 14k cdn which is obviously a lot, but i now have a different view of why they're so much. The price list for this one had it at 550 $cdn in '62.....so relative to say the cost of a car, they're if anything cheap today. I really don't have the space to keep it, but it'll be difficult to let it go <sad smilie> snapped some pics.....

http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy132/michael01000/myford/edited1Large.jpg

http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy132/michael01000/myford/editedLarge.jpg

I carried it up the vender's basement stairs with a rope around my should and neck and a kid on the tailstock end.....thats gonna hurt in the morning and I moved it in from the car by myself (where's madman when you need him?). Got the wiring all squared away and she's ready to make chips!

http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy132/michael01000/myford/edited3Small.jpg

rockrat
03-13-2010, 08:34 PM
Nice electrical plug.

The lathe is a good find. Looks as though you have a good tool there.

Cheers!
rock~

KINGWELD
03-13-2010, 08:45 PM
LISTA cabinets? Yes they are very nice. Just wished I had some LOL. Jim:)

darryl
03-13-2010, 09:03 PM
Maybe turn some magnesium first, and make sure some of the chips make it over to that electrical 'superplug' ya got there. Always nice to have a warm fire going- :)

johnnyd
03-13-2010, 09:22 PM
Cover up that "plug" quick....(before the safety police see it):D

uncle pete
03-13-2010, 09:53 PM
Isn't that how The Prince of Darkness (Lucas) would have wired it if that lathe had stayed in the homeland? Apologies to all you British chaps.

Pete

gnm109
03-13-2010, 10:32 PM
Nice machine.

The wiring looks OK to me. He's got the neutral in the left side and the hot wire on the right. What's not to like? :)

doctor demo
03-13-2010, 10:55 PM
Nice machine.

The wiring looks OK to me. He's got the neutral in the left side and the hot wire on the right. What's not to like? :)

You Guys kill me, the problem with the wiring is He forgot to hook up the ground.
Stick a green wire in there and call it good.

Steve:D

Black_Moons
03-13-2010, 11:35 PM
On behalf of the safty police I hearby confescate your lathe and refund you the fair market price of.. $20...

PS: I recently aquired a lathe and I was wondering if you would help me move it into my basment, I hear you are really strong and good at lifting heavy objects.

PPS: I hear its currently in the basement of a really big strong guy who doesnt think I own it. could be a problem. But maybe if I get him drunk enough he can help us move it.

chrisfournier
03-13-2010, 11:56 PM
The Myford is really a jewel and it would look like you have a very well tooled unit to boot!

I'm not sure that I understand your machinery moving practices but any pain you feel tomorrow will have been worth it. Ibuprofen is cheap, Myfords not so much.

millwrong
03-14-2010, 12:16 AM
Hey Mcgyver, Please explain to me why here in the 'Peg you can't find ANYTHING, yet you come up with all these pearls in Ont.? What's the secret sauce that you're using?!?

Mcgyver
03-14-2010, 11:45 AM
PS: I recently aquired a lathe and I was wondering if you would help me move it into my basment, I hear you are really strong and good at lifting heavy objects.

madman's the strong guy, I'm just stupid. can hardly walk today :o. actually they're not that bad, lists a 245 pounds with the motor which i took off.

I'm not sure that I understand your machinery moving practices but any pain you feel tomorrow will have been worth it

Procedure was to make a sling out many loops of thick soft line - the stuff the use for sheets on a sailboat is good...its thick, ties well and unlike hemp or the yellow nylon is soft. The sling is around my neck/should and through the headstock of the lathe. I had a helper on the other end but when its tilted on the stairs you're taking it all, fair enough its your lathe.

The wiring looks OK to me.

lol, I only did that shot to make Nick M mental, but he's completely ignored it....where's the fun in that? :D

Please explain to me why here in the 'Peg you can't find ANYTHING,

Its the iron disease, you look at enough stuff, talk to enough people, waste enough time on the online classifies and occasionally you find jewels. that and TO is just bigger (getting too big!) so there's more....how far a drive is the Peg? :)

Duffy
03-14-2010, 11:55 AM
Mcgyver, all the extra bits & pieces would add a few more grand to the value. According to the ME advirtisements from the 70's, a Myford Super Seven was supplied, equipped with the company's best wishes! The steady, milling attachment, vise, chucks, etc, were ALL extra. Duffy

gda
03-14-2010, 11:58 AM
Nice score.

I love my lista cabinets. I often open a draw and stand on it to reach the boxes higher on it. They can take it. People who get hung up on snap-on and the likes are missing out. (For the record I also have proto, kennedy, and matco boxes).

I know you are kidding about he electrical plug - but I'm sure your insurance company would not get the joke.

BadDog
03-14-2010, 02:16 PM
People who get hung up on snap-on and the likes are missing out.
I couldn't agree more. At first I had a hard time justifying the cost, but "gritted my teeth" bought one. I couldn't believe how much disappeared into it, and still the drawers opened with only casual effort. I now own 3, including one wide model. My "stacks" are all but gone, with only a very old Craftsman "Industrial" roll around (my first, and old enough to be well built) remaining.

Congrats on the upgrade! :D

madman
03-19-2010, 08:27 AM
Looks xactly like the Volkswagon Tool Room Plant in Mexico. Would have to stick wires into outlets to start the surface Grinder.

snowman
03-19-2010, 10:39 AM
http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy132/michael01000/myford/edited3Small.jpg

It's good to know that other people prescribe to my machine testing methods!

I just went down to HGR Industrial surplus and picked up a small OBI press and a Barker AM, the OBI press had wires all over the damn place. I've now got a "test cord" which is just a grounded 110 volt computer power cord that I cut off.

I just wish I could find my darn wire nuts. I twist the wires off and try to put something plastic between the two conductors to make sure they don't touch. This time I used a piece of 1/4" air line over both of the wires.

Do you also use the "6 plug strip" as a fancy "on off" switch? That's another favorite test method. No more plugging in and pulling out, just flip and flip back!

MuellerNick
03-19-2010, 10:56 AM
lol, I only did that shot to make Nick M mental, but he's completely ignored it....where's the fun in that?

Well, here I am! :)
But I wouldn't risk my live with two Listas and a Super 7.

You know what a Lista costs? With a 200kg drawer (yes, 200kg load per drawer and full pull-out) you won't get away with less than 1000.- EUR. But they are rock solid! Swiss-made, perfect, ever-lasting!

Nick

Fasttrack
03-19-2010, 11:14 AM
Now that was a practical acquistion. You can never have too many high quality tool storage solutions and a tiny little thing like that Myford will slip in to the shop no problem.

Why can't I make well thought out, practical purchases?!? It must come with experience... :D

Well done, Mcgyver! I have yet to graduate from my first tool chest: a Craftsman plain slide unit. It works great for hand tools, but you really have to baby it to keep the drawer slides in good shape. My BIL has a Montezuma that makes my chest look like crap and I'm willing to bet that your Lista cabinets make the Montezuma look like junk!