PDA

View Full Version : How many guys would wear a HSM hat?

Your Old Dog
03-13-2010, 11:44 PM
If Geo had a nice logo on a hat that would make it obvious that you were a Home Shop Machinist and not an HSM'er, would you wear it? I'd sure like one as I'd like to be able to meet others with the same interest. Anytime I run across a fellow machinist I end up being entertained and usually walk away having learned something. Maybe Geo could put a nominal fee on them or even mail them out for people who manage to get a tip published in the magazine? Anybody else think it's a good idea? Or maybe this, you could only wear the hat if you had something published? (no. I've never had anything published!) I need something to wear to church on Sundays :D

airsmith282
03-13-2010, 11:54 PM
im in on this one id ware the hat for sure ,, and not just to church :D

Black_Moons
03-13-2010, 11:58 PM
I might wear one to machinery auctions... :P
Not sure about elsewhere unless it was really cool.. And for me, really cool basicly means 'more or less plain black except a 1~2" by 1" logo that looks decent and not about some lame company.' And by lame company I basicly mean.. any company...

Like I might wear a [Home Shop Machinist] hat.. but maybe not a [HopeShopMachinist.Net] logo hat. Unless the url was maybe really small.

I *MIGHT* wear a hat with a tiny 'GMT' sublogo on it somewhere *hint hint* But probley not one with glacern machine tools spelled out on it. Maybe GMT with glacern.com below it in very small print.

doctor demo
03-14-2010, 12:32 AM
It would have been handy to have today when I was waiting for our group that I have never seen before.

Steve

Davo J
03-14-2010, 12:33 AM
Id wear one, if they were available.
Davo

knudsen
03-14-2010, 01:09 AM
Only if they have trucker mud flap chicks on them :D Sure, I would wear one, but I might not spend the money on one.

Your Old Dog
03-14-2010, 07:12 AM
It would have been handy to have today when I was waiting for our group that I have never seen before.

Steve

It would also draw some attention/tips for you while garage sailing (correct spelling!) and doing the flea market circuit. People know what your interest are and it might net you some machine/tool leads.

oldtiffie
03-14-2010, 07:25 AM
How does it go with the tin foil hat?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tin_foil_hat

EdC
03-14-2010, 08:20 AM
I would wear a HSM hat :cool:

gda
03-14-2010, 09:38 AM
I think that a good logo for it would be a co-ax indicator mountd in a round column mill.

Boucher
03-14-2010, 09:42 AM
If it fit good and looked good I would wear one. One size does not fit all in shoes or in hats. There is no such thing as a cheap gimmie hat that looks good.

hornluv
03-14-2010, 10:18 AM
I don't like wearing hats. I like my fabulous loaf of hair to be able to run free and feel the breeze. How 'bout a T-shirt? I'd definitely go for that.

cuemaker
03-14-2010, 10:28 AM
I wear hats all the time, especially in the shop as the bill is great for warning me when I am about to smack my face with something.

but they have to be kinda specific.. no trucker hat, decent quality and black.. I guess you can say a typical golf style hat..

I also think it would be cool if GMT got involved, say their GMT logo on the back.

Heck, they may have a hat already and just need to add home shop machinist..

doc-zeus
03-14-2010, 10:36 AM
Hats and shirts with logo! Both are great idea. Just about every other special focus group has them! In farming country, look around for the hats carrying tractor logo's, seed logo's etc. In the shooting sports areas you see all the gun mfg logo's

When I was a kid, you got those for free, just so they could let you advertise for them. Now you sometimes are expected to pay 15 - 20 bucks to advertise for 'em!

I'd preferr a golf or any kind of collared shirt thou, as I won't wear a T shirt as an outer garment. (Every time I do I get a nasty sunburn on the back of my neck! Ouch! ! ! ! )

As for the hat, Please don't go with a light color. Too easy to start showing dirt! My work shirts and jeans do enough of that.

A dark green or maroon would be my choice of colors!

Perhaps someone in the group with some artistic talents could, or would like to show a suggested logo!

Come you artistic guys, step up and show your suggestions!

Your Old Dog
03-14-2010, 10:45 AM
As for the hat, Please don't go with a light color. Too easy to start showing dirt! My work shirts and jeans do enough of that.

!

I rather like the idea of a pre-oil-stained hat on the bill where your thumb and fingers adjust your hat. Maybe a little around the brim to like sweat. Add a dab of pidgen droppings to the bill and a power plug to the back and we'd be set to go !!

Where's Geo?

Lew Hartswick
03-14-2010, 11:19 AM
Only if it has a good wide brim all the way around. Stupid "baseball"
hats are worthless.
...lew...

Brett Hurt
03-14-2010, 11:32 AM
yes but will it come in pink , I wont to look cool in the shop

deltaenterprizes
03-14-2010, 11:36 AM
The Cataract lathe that Don of the Practical Machinist Forum used in the past and has now removed would be a great logo since he now has a modern machine pictured on his site. The machine itself is a piece of art!

Frank Ford
03-14-2010, 12:10 PM
Hats? Sure, I'd wear one - hats are good. I have lotsa hats. I've worn hats forever, even WAY back in the daze when I actually had hair on top.

T-shirts are good, too, as are aprons.

Weston Bye
03-14-2010, 12:49 PM
Years ago, HSM sold an apron at NAMES and such emblazoned with the magazine logo. They haven't been available for a number of years. Nice apron, but about the only place you wear it is in the home shop where it is already obvious that you are a Home Shop Machinist. Not much outside advertising there.

I'll get a picture up here of the apron.

A hat?

hats are worthless.
...lew...
My sentiments exactly.

HSM Pocket Protector? I'm geeky enough for one of those.

dp
03-14-2010, 12:52 PM
I need a logo HSM credit card for buying tools.

Weston Bye
03-14-2010, 01:49 PM
A collector's item? Not sold in stores.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/Weston/DSCN3512.jpg

Nice when working at the bench, (containing pipsqueak lathe and mill) I would be cautious about wearing anything like that around large rotating machinery.

Carld
03-14-2010, 03:10 PM
Yes, a hat would be nice. I have a few "baseball" type hats I wear occasionally but most the time I wear my military camo hats. The desert hat has been coast to coast and to Nova Scotia, it's been in every state but 7 and I am working on getting them then it gets retired and I start with a new one.

John Stevenson
03-14-2010, 03:12 PM
I think that a good logo for it would be a co-ax indicator mountd in a round column mill.

Nothing wrong with round column mills.

Carld
03-14-2010, 03:20 PM
How about a co-ax indicator mounted in a drill press.:D or even a hand drill.:eek: :rolleyes:

doctor demo
03-14-2010, 03:21 PM
I need a logo HSM credit card for buying tools.
Or a gift card:)

Steve

John Stevenson
03-14-2010, 03:28 PM
How about a co-ax indicator mounted in a drill press.:D or even a hand drill.:eek: :rolleyes:

Nothing wrong with Drill press's and hand drills.

And before anyone suggests mounting one in a Bridgeport, that just being plain silly..

rock_breaker
03-14-2010, 04:32 PM
If it is not to expensive. If you get this please advise me of price and availability
Ray Patterson E-mail rpatters@fone.net

MotorradMike
03-14-2010, 04:56 PM
I missed the post that said where to send my 20$. They're good hats right? Not the cheapos with mesh in the back.

Kibby
03-14-2010, 05:13 PM
How many guys would wear a HSM hat?

Do we get a free bowl of soup?

HSS
03-14-2010, 06:45 PM
hats are worthless.
...lew...

Well.........since most everything comes from china now, one could probably get a real good deal on cooley hats if you don't care for baseball caps.:D

By baseball caps, do you mean the Elmer Fudd type caps or the low profile type caps? I prefer the EF type caps. They make me look taller.:D

Patrick

mayfieldtm
03-14-2010, 07:00 PM
If it's a Baseball style Hat, then forget it.
Not in a zillion years.

Baseball Hats look stupid.
Most People that wear Baseball Hats, look stupid.
And Baseball is Stupid.

I want the the HSM Apron that Mr. Bye is wearing.

Tom M.

Your Old Dog
03-14-2010, 07:06 PM
I missed the post that said where to send my 20$. They're good hats right? Not the cheapos with mesh in the back.

They're going to be awhile yet. First we have to form a committee to design a logo and then we're going to need another to decide what if anything we are going to pay to get them. Then all the committees will have to get together to run it by George Bullis to see if it passes muster :D

Have you guys seen the job Stetson does on hats?

Well.........since most everything comes from china now, one could probably get a real good deal on cooley hats if you don't care for baseball caps.:D

ROFLMAO! :D

sasquatch
03-14-2010, 07:10 PM
Hey, count me in on a HSM hat, "T" shirt, or whatever,, Hell, i could even use a pair of HSM boxer shorts, i wear em cutting my grass on hot days!!:D

MotorradMike
03-14-2010, 07:25 PM
If it's a Baseball style Hat, then forget it.
Not in a zillion years.
Fair enough, your call. There are things I wouldn't wear that perhaps you would. As an example of things I wouldn't wear, womens under garments and anything spandexy. If you'd like to wear things like those, fine with me. I won't call you names. As well,to be clear, please define a zillion. 10 to the what? Using words one doesn't understand can be considered to be stupid.

Baseball Hats look stupid.
Very subjective. Some people think Hijabs look stupid. Not cool.

Most People that wear Baseball Hats, look stupid.
Please elaborate. Which sorts of people? Some people think that people who don't speak well sound stupid. Most People who wear Baseball Hats, look stupid. 'Fixed'

And Baseball is Stupid.
Baseball is a game enjoyed by millions(or zillions whatever that means). Most games can be shown in a 'stupid' light. Check out Golf if you're bored.

I want the the HSM Apron that Mr. Bye is wearing.
Good luck with that. I suspect Mr. Bye wants to keep his.
I also suspect he would be creeped out by the fact that you want it.
Whatever.

Is this harsh?
Maybe.
Just a bit tired of being criticized for my fashion choices, which, by the way, are awesome.

sasquatch
03-14-2010, 07:32 PM
How about:

"HomeshopMachinists like their tools Knurled":D

(Should be some good suggestions out there from you guys!!)

miker
03-14-2010, 07:39 PM
How many blades would the propeller have?

Would the blades be multi-coloured.?

Rgds

MotorradMike
03-14-2010, 07:49 PM
How many blades would the propeller have?

Would the blades be multi-coloured.?

Rgds

Good grief!

There won't be a propeller. Not even as an option.
Don't be a twit!

doctor demo
03-14-2010, 08:39 PM
Do we get a free bowl of soup?
Nope, ya buy a bowl of soup and when yer finished eatn ya put the bowl on yer head and the HSM part is ya make yer own bill.

Steve

Your Old Dog
03-14-2010, 10:37 PM
Ain't heard from Geo yet! I gotta figure he's getting a good laugh out of all this :D

Bill736
03-14-2010, 10:56 PM
You say " you could only wear the hat......." . Is that the same as "wearing only the hat" ? Because, you see....around machinery...never mind.

oldtiffie
03-14-2010, 10:57 PM
Originally Posted by gda

Please define "mounted".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mounted
(Third item under "Other meanings"?)

Might be a good idea though as those that can (or who can't or would rather forget all about?) recall the "Co-ax" thread might recall that as many said said "F" the co-ax as said it is "F"-ed or that if "F"-ed everything and everyone it touched.

And that was the "real deal" USA-made "Blake".

Comments made about the Chinese-made "fake Blake" don't bear repeating here.

I blush and get all dizzy just thinking about it.

If the "fake Blake" were mounted on a hat that was mounted on a HSM-er (particularly some I can think of in the USA) would they not be "mounted" by a "Fake Blake"?

The ultimate irony?

Perhaps John Stevenson mounting - or being mounted by - his much-loved POS BP mill?

The mind boggles!!

BillB
03-15-2010, 10:50 PM
Old HSM BBS hands at Cabin Fever Expo can be identified by their John Deere caps. (Thanks, Cecil!)

BillB

dp
03-16-2010, 12:17 AM

In a drill chuck, of course.

Richard-TX
03-16-2010, 12:25 AM
I don't wear hats at all. Everytime someone gives me a hat, I give it away.

oldtiffie
03-16-2010, 01:35 AM
If you have a pointy head or a pointy foil hat or just want to feel at home with your Chinese tools, wear one of these - and save it for any gala social event at PM and you will look both cool and like a coolie:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conical_straw_hat

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conical_straw_hat

Your Old Dog
03-16-2010, 08:58 AM
Well, given that a good part of my shop came from the Far East I guess a coolie hat wouldn't be such a bad idea. You realize how much advertising you could get on one of those coolie hats? :D