PDA

View Full Version : Pinging Evan - is all OK?

oldtiffie
03-15-2010, 11:48 PM
This is the most recent post I can find from Evan.
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showpost.php?p=530504&postcount=21

This one is of concern as he had a kidney stones complaint.
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showpost.php?p=530504&postcount=21

You say the worm is supported by ball bearings, but the bottom right picture looks like a bronze bearing? Or is that a flash artifact?

You observe correctly. I changed the design at that time so that it is all ball bearing.

Paul, I will have to go count it myself. Since it is CNC and that is the intended mode of operarion it really doesn't matter what the step per degree work out to. Not only is there a gear down on the pulley but it will by running in 1/4 step mode.

Sorry for not being very responsive to questions today but I am in the middle of a kidney stone attack. I am guessing that being slow roasted over an open fire might be more comfortable.

There have been very few posts since.

I hope Evan is OK and is back here shortly.

Does anyone here have any advise of Evan's condition?

Can anyone who knows his home phone number or his wife's work phone number, email address or web address contact her and give him my regards at least and see when we can expect him back and let us know here on the forum?

gary hart
03-16-2010, 12:07 AM
Also wishing all is well or will be soon With Evan and hoping for the best.

snowman
03-16-2010, 12:13 AM
ech...kidney stones...

Hope all is well, but those damn things knock me on my ass for days at a time!

EddyCurr
03-16-2010, 12:56 AM
I have sent an email to a possible contact.

I do not know with certainty whether the recipient will have any knowledge.
So do not let my tentative efforts dissuade others from pursuing their
own leads.

Willy
03-16-2010, 01:07 AM
He's probably just busy.
I just clicked onto Evan's profile (http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/member.php?u=1995) and it said his last activity here was at 6:59 PM.
He couldn't have gone too far.
Not quite AWOL yet.:)

woman
03-16-2010, 01:35 AM
Hi all. Sarah here, Evans daughter.

My dad is suffering a lot of pain from a probable gall bladder issue. He is under medical care, at home. Hopefully he will not be in this level of pain for long.

I want to thank you all for the concern, you have no idea what it means to me.

Astronowanabe
03-16-2010, 01:41 AM
Wish him best of luck getting through that quickly

oldtiffie
03-16-2010, 01:42 AM
Thanks Sarah - appreciated.

These are the times when "family" counts.

I am glad that all is under control (Evan too? Or is that too big an ask?).

Give Evan my best regards and tell the old war-horse to get back into the fray here as soon as he is fit enough - its too damned quiet!!

Willy
03-16-2010, 01:43 AM
Send Evan our good wishes. Hope he feels well soon.
He's only not posted for a couple of days and already it seems quiet here.
Thank you Sarah for giving us an update.
This place is not the same without him.

Regards,
Willy

Pete F
03-16-2010, 01:49 AM
Sarah, I'm sending along my best thoughts for a speedy recovery, and really hope he is up and at-em soon. So many projects!

Good thoughts and well wishes,

-Pete

darryl
03-16-2010, 02:14 AM
Yes, hope all turns out well for him- from a fellow british columbian here in Chilliwack.

Evan
03-16-2010, 04:23 AM
The pain is subsiding to a level that is merely miserable rather than intolerable. Unfortunately the fibromyalgia I suffer has the effect of acting as a pain amplifier. I spent an evening in the ER during which time I received enough morphine to sedate a horse and it had zero effect on the pain. The doctor didn't believe me. He prescribed an incorrect and ineffective antibiotic as well. Fortunately our family physician is much better trained and I am now under the correct treatment. Up untill now I have had a blinding migraine to go along with the abdominal pain which has made it impossible to think.

Thanks for the concern guys and thanks Sarah for spreading the news for me.

I am probably going to be out of action for at least a few more days.

DickDastardly40
03-16-2010, 04:33 AM
All the best Evan, my Partner had several gall bladder attacks before there was an opening for an operation (pun intended). She said the pain was worse than childbirth and having witnessed her through both I well believe her.

She had her Gall Bladder removed with keyhole surgery which used 3 incisions; the biggest about an inch long. Just because it was keyhole fooled us into believing it was minor surgery, which it wasn't. It took about 3 weeks for her to recover.

Whatever the actual ailment, i hope it is resolved soon.

Doc Nickel
03-16-2010, 06:43 AM
You heal up and come back, Evan. You might be a curmudgeon, but by golly, you're our curmudgeon. :D

Besides, without you, who would John have to argue with? :D

Doc.

Evan
03-16-2010, 06:58 AM
This is a tough one for sure. It will take a few days to get over this. I haven't eaten anything since last Friday. Fortunately I can live off the fat of the land for a while..

madman
03-16-2010, 07:31 AM
Take a break Relax Get Well evan. Heres to a Speedy Recovery.

Your Old Dog
03-16-2010, 07:38 AM
Hope you are back in harness soon Evan. Just do what your Dr. tells you to do even if it smarts. Things are too damn quiet around here :D

All the best to you.

jackary
03-16-2010, 07:47 AM
Wish you very well Evan. This forum needs all the stimulus you contribute to keep it up to speed. So we at the forum need to contribute good wishes to keep you up to speed.
Alan

Deja Vu
03-16-2010, 07:58 AM
Please get well, Evan.
I don't post much here but I always read(and look for) your posts.

Best wishes,
John Meissner

snowman
03-16-2010, 08:07 AM
Yuck...doctors reach for morphine like it is the end all of pain medication. Even in veterinary medicine we reach for hydromorphine first, then fentanyl.

I'm glad you are feeling better, hope things continue to improve. You've got one of the most painful conditions we get, second only to pancreatitis.

Try to get some food in you, even if it's bland as hell. You need your protein!

Tony Ennis
03-16-2010, 08:33 AM
Healing mojo to you Evan!

Ken_Shea
03-16-2010, 09:41 AM
You heal up and come back, Evan. You might be a curmudgeon, but by golly, you're our curmudgeon. :D

Besides, without you, who would John have to argue with? :D

Doc.

Heck, any of us can argue with him now and he wont feel up to proving us wrong :D

Very glad to hear that the pain has at least subsided some for you.

DFMiller
03-16-2010, 10:12 AM
Evan,
Glad to hear you are on the mend. It's so nice your daughter is around to keep us in the loop. Get well soon.
Dave

gwilson
03-16-2010, 10:20 AM
I've got fibromyalgia,too. It is miserable. Good luck,Evan. Can you get the ultrasonic (?) treatment for breaking up the stone?

Morphine can really make you unable to function. Codeine by mouth is much better for me. When I had bypass surgery,they wanted me to get up and walk,but I was too dizzy with the morphine. I got the doctors to give me codeine by mouth,and got up and walked plenty.

Pherdie
03-16-2010, 10:23 AM
Get well soon!

BobWarfield
03-16-2010, 10:23 AM
Best wishes, Evan.

Bob Warfield

rockrat
03-16-2010, 10:24 AM
Best wishes Evan. I passed what was probably the smallest stone in the world a few years back and thought I was going to die. I cant imagine having one of regular size not to mention other issues to complicate matters.

Hang in there, were thinking of you.

rock~

gnm109
03-16-2010, 10:42 AM
"Enough morphine to sedate a horse", eh....was there any left over? I could use some...LOL.

Best wishes to you, Evan. Hope you are feeling better soon. :)

TheAndroid
03-16-2010, 10:49 AM
Evan,
Get well. I can't machine vicariously without your posts!

oil mac
03-16-2010, 10:50 AM
Hope things improve quickly for you Evans, & we will soon have you back on form, We are thinking of you -- you take care.

J Harp
03-16-2010, 10:52 AM
I wish you well Evan. I went thru the merely miserable variety in the summer of 2009, that was bad enough. Had the gallbladder removed in August, and have felt much better after a fairly short recovery.

Get the necessary medical attention, have a quick recovery, and get back to making chips and quips. Your knowledge and skill is appreciated.

lakeside53
03-16-2010, 11:45 AM
Yes... get well Evan. There a couple of guys on this site that are miserable - no intelligent life-form to argue with.:D

RancherBill
03-16-2010, 12:13 PM
I wish you a speed recovery.

Evan
03-16-2010, 12:20 PM
I'm starting to think clear enough that now I'm pissed off since I can't stand up long enough to do anything in the shop. Startin to feel extra cranky. Anybody want to argue about something??? ;)

Liger Zero
03-16-2010, 12:24 PM
I'm starting to think clear enough that now I'm pissed off since I can't stand up long enough to do anything in the shop. Startin to feel extra cranky. Anybody want to argue about something??? ;)

The real question is why the hell haven't you built an infrasonic thermo-optical quantum-nuclear kidney-stone un-attacker device of some sort. That's what worries me the most here. Normally you'd have something rigged up, operating and pictures on here within an hour or two of the initial thought! :eek:

Seriously, hope you're 100% shortly. ;)

The Fixer
03-16-2010, 12:24 PM
Hey Evan... Perhaps the best medicine might be out in the workshop building a super deluxe ultrasonic gallstone blaster. Surely you could strip parts out of an old microwave and a sewing machine or something..........?

Just kidding!! Wishin you well !

al

Edit: 9:25 I guess we're thinkin the same thing Liger! lol

Lew Hartswick
03-16-2010, 12:27 PM
I wondered about him. I sent a PM on a computer problem and haven't
heard back so I began to wonder.
Thanks for the clarification.
Hope he recovers soon. I sure would like visit him some day but it
is a bit out of the way to anywhere for me.
...Lew...

RPease
03-16-2010, 01:48 PM
My best regards and wishes too Evan........Rodg

dockrat
03-16-2010, 01:55 PM
Evan...just saw this thread. Sorry I wasnt faster in wishing you a speedy recovery. Get well soon and back in that shop building amazing things.

knudsen
03-16-2010, 02:02 PM

My dad is suffering a lot of pain from a probable gall bladder issue. He is under medical care, at home. Hopefully he will not be in this level of pain for long.

Sorry to here so, Sara. Hopefully the stones pass. I know it's very painful though, and I'll pray for him. If they have to take it out, the good news is it can be done laproscopically now, so it's just three small cuts as opposed to the gigantic gash of yesteryear. Back in the day, that was one of the worst surgeries to go through.

MrSleepy
03-16-2010, 02:28 PM
Hope you get well soon Evan..

I'm surprised the morphine didn't work to well..
I always wondered what made heroin addicts want to inject themselves with such life ruining garbage...but after being given morphine to kill the pain of skin graft surgery I could see how you could become addicted to the floating on clouds euphoria that it gives you..

Rob

Bones
03-16-2010, 02:33 PM
Glad to hear you're on the upswing. How many new projects will you have thought out by the time you hit the shop again??

bones

Peter.
03-16-2010, 03:37 PM
Get better soon Evan!!

rohart
03-16-2010, 04:12 PM
Hope you're through it soon - pain is an extremely unpleasant thing, the worst part being the feeling that it will never stop.

I feel sorry too for people who don't have lots of things they can dive into to distract them.

I'm surprised that no one has tried to borrow anything of Evan's, even in jest, like "Send me your telescope till you can stand up again".

All my sympathies - get well soon.

mototed
03-16-2010, 04:21 PM
I wish you well and a fast recovery.
I miss your incredibly informative posts.
Ted

EddyCurr
03-16-2010, 05:58 PM
I'm surprised that no one has tried to borrow anything of Evan's ...How gauche .

Really, the polite thing to do is to just wait for the estate sale
announcement (and then go to the preview to lift stuff.)

GWS, Evan.

bborr01
03-16-2010, 06:40 PM
Evan,

Wishing you a speedy and complete recovery.

I figured once the olympics were over, you would be back taking up all the bandwidth in BC.:D

When that didn't happen, I started to wonder a little.

I started to feel bad that my shop made tools thread had passed your "scary news" thread.

Now I know the real story.

Honestly, I pay more attention to your posts than any others on this forum.

Also, I will have to get out of the habit of addressing everyone here as "guys" now that I know your daughter is here too. A long time member at that.

Good to see a little diversity here.;)

Brian

clutch
03-16-2010, 07:33 PM
Evan,

I hope you get well soon. I'm in that age group that has figured out we are not immortal if you get my drift.

Are you thinking of your next project to take your mind off of things?

Best Wishes,

Clutch

Sophiedoc
03-16-2010, 07:43 PM
Right side renal colic and gallbladder pain can confuse even an expert .Be sure you are on the right track.Best wishes for fast and full recovery.

nheng
03-16-2010, 07:49 PM
Evan, Sorry I caught this thread late also. Glad you are coming around. Take it slow when you hit the shop ... loosen the belt on the SB a little ;) Den

aboard_epsilon
03-16-2010, 07:52 PM
Take it easy Evan.

all the best.markj

gambler
03-16-2010, 08:11 PM
get well soon. I'm still reading through all your back posts, but can't wait to see some new ones too.:)

John Stevenson
03-16-2010, 08:22 PM
Here you are Evan,

This is what you want.

Don't say I don't think about you.

http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk/files/thronerm.jpg

nheng
03-16-2010, 08:25 PM
Wasn't that Bill Gates Loo workstation concept?

snowman
03-16-2010, 08:35 PM
Right side renal colic and gallbladder pain can confuse even an expert .

Not if they do a quick diagnostic ultrasound.

Another one up for veterinary medicine.

john hobdeclipe
03-16-2010, 09:43 PM
OK, Evan, this has gone on long enough. Get back to work.:D:D:D

A.K. Boomer
03-16-2010, 11:07 PM

Now I know everything is going to be OK!

very glad and thanks to your daughter for keeping us posted.

Evan - don't trust your docs --- you know way more than they do so double check EVERYTHING.

rdfeil
03-16-2010, 11:39 PM
Evan go slow and take deep cuts. Get well soon. Glad to hear you are starting to feel better..... grouchy or not :D

Best Wishes,
Robin Feil

PS: Thanks to Sarah also for the heads up.

dp
03-16-2010, 11:58 PM

Thanks for filling in the gaps, Sarah - Evan has a lot of followers here and any deviation from his regular contributions is widely noticed. And I see he's back in here grumbling about his meds and care so he's clearly on the mend.

BTW, how is Bullpit doing? Haven't heard from him in quite a while!

Black_Moons
03-17-2010, 02:47 AM
Congrats on feeling (a little) better evan. Just isent the same around here without you!

vincemulhollon
03-17-2010, 10:58 AM
Also, I will have to get out of the habit of addressing everyone here as "guys" now that I know your daughter is here too. A long time member at that.

Good to see a little diversity here.;)

Not that I want to hijack Evan's get well soon thread (BTW, GWS Evan!) but looking at the self portrait thread "we" look very much like a ham radio club, or turning it around, ham radio clubs look very much like us, that is, the theoretical average dude in either hobby is

1) First of all, a dude not a lady

2) Secondly, approx 98% pale european aka we are all cousins if you go back far enough in the nordic / germanic / UK area. Are most of us in fact descended from the same cuckoo clock maker in the black forest 500 years ago? Or most of us are descendants of one Viking, or something like that.

3) Thirdly, probably average about 45 years

4) Fourthly, probably average just a wee bit under 100 Kg, but not a heck of a lot under that.

As a hint to our esteemed editor Mr Bullis I would like to read a well written article that tried to explain why, perhaps if it tried to explain how to get folk of other genetics involved in our interesting hobby(s). I'd read it because I have no idea whatsoever what the answer would be, and the best article is one that you learn a lot from.

Its also interesting that our demographics are similar to ham radio, yet the hams have had introverted anxiety attacks literally for decades about how old they are and there are no kids entering the hobby, yet the machinists in general, other than a wee bit of head-shaking, don't freak out (relatively as much, anyway).

Evan
03-17-2010, 01:05 PM

Well, neither is my daughter.... :D

She is a newspaper publisher which places her in an elite class of character assassins of which there is no equal in the annals of history. I'm not saying that is what she does but she has the capability and wouldn't be afraid to use it if the circumstances truly demanded it.

[waits for phone call this evening]......:eek:

RetiredFAE
03-17-2010, 03:22 PM
Not that I want to hijack Evan's get well soon thread (BTW, GWS Evan!) but looking at the self portrait thread "we" look very much like a ham radio club, or turning it around, ham radio clubs look very much like us, that is, the theoretical average dude in either hobby is

2) Secondly, approx 98% pale european aka we are all cousins if you go back far enough in the nordic / germanic / UK area. Are most of us in fact descended from the same cuckoo clock maker in the black forest 500 years ago? Or most of us are descendants of one Viking, or something like that.

3) Thirdly, probably average about 45 years

4) Fourthly, probably average just a wee bit under 100 Kg, but not a heck of a lot under that.

As a hint to our esteemed editor Mr Bullis I would like to read a well written article that tried to explain why, perhaps if it tried to explain how to get folk of other genetics involved in our interesting hobby(s). I'd read it because I have no idea whatsoever what the answer would be, and the best article is one that you learn a lot from.

Its also interesting that our demographics are similar to ham radio, yet the hams have had introverted anxiety attacks literally for decades about how old they are and there are no kids entering the hobby, yet the machinists in general, other than a wee bit of head-shaking, don't freak out (relatively as much, anyway).

You're scaring me!
I'm the VP of the local HAM radio club, and after reading your post, realized that all the "guys" (we only have a couple of gals out of 50 members) fit your description to a T! All of us pretty much also share ex-military and law enforcement careers as well as the radio hobby, and about 75% of the group have at one time or another worked at the mechanical trades or as engineers as well.
Hmm, must be an underground Morlock factory somewhere stamping us out in massive quantities.