PDA

View Full Version : Repair parts for 12x36 lathe

SteveC
03-15-2010, 11:54 PM
I'm tring to get some electrial repair parts for my Harbor Freight lathe. I called Harbor Freight, but they are not very quick and getting back to me. I'm afraid that when they do, they are doing to say that they don't supply them. So with that said, has anyone found another source for stuff like this. I would hate to try getting them direct from China.

Thanks,
Steve

lakeside53
03-16-2010, 12:43 AM
Ignore HF. Replace anything electrical with easily obtained quality parts... but... what specifically are you looking for?

Contactors, motor starters, switcthes, buttons blah blah... all available cheaply as surplus on ebay and other sources.

Richard-TX
03-16-2010, 01:36 AM
All of the switches, contactors, etc in the electrics box are all readily available from places like factorymation.com.

MTNGUN
03-16-2010, 01:44 AM
Or upgrade to a VFD and bypass the crappy chinese electrics all together.

Black_Moons
03-16-2010, 02:40 AM
Grizzly should have spare parts, figure out what lathe of thiers matchs yours in control/etc config and then order the parts based on grizzlys online downloadable manual. (the part explosion photos)

914Wilhelm
03-16-2010, 02:44 AM
Or upgrade to a VFD and bypass the crappy chinese electrics all together.

I put a VFD on mine mainly because the machine came as a three phase. I'll have to say, however, the wiring was very neat and looked quite professional and the components quite sturdy.

JoeFin
03-16-2010, 06:37 AM
Ignore HF. Replace anything electrical with easily obtained quality parts... but... what specifically are you looking for?

Contactors, motor starters, switcthes, buttons blah blah... all available cheaply as surplus on ebay and other sources.

I'll second that

ABB, Square D, and Allen Bradly all good stuff that will gladly out live you

lakeside53
03-16-2010, 11:49 AM
No kidding. I have a B&S surface grinder from 1953 - same year I was born... Full of Square-D stuff that works better than me.

sch
03-16-2010, 12:20 PM
HF a few years ago had the contactors and the apron mounted FOR/REV
switch available for ~$50 for both, taking about a month to ship. The 3
contactors are identical, but wired differently, one each for FOR. REV and
INCH functions. You can use the inch contactor as a sub for the others.
Also the contactor coils are 24-28VAC and the xformer has 28 and 6V taps, the 6V used for the lights. The contactors on mine were wired so that the
coils saw 34VAC, it is easy to move the coil tap to the 28V tap and reduce
the coil voltage, should make them last longer.
The contactors are Chinese knockoffs of a Siemens original and as others
noted are not too hard to find and are generic. I hope your lathe is not
against the wall as getting at the components is hard enough with the
back of the lathe easily accessible. Download the Grizz pdf for their
variant of the lathe for a better set of pix and redrawn wiring diagram
that you can make better sense of. If you can afford it, a VFD/3ph
change makes everything in the electrical box unnecessary except for
the terminal strip at the bottom.

RobbieKnobbie
03-16-2010, 05:15 PM
the little experience i have with HF parts are that they are cheap and pretty fast. Maybe the parts I ordered happened to be in stock or something, but both times I got my stuff in about a week.

That said, there's nothing (electrically) on these lathes that isn't pretty standard. The pushbuttons are all (on mine anyway) 22mm standards and if I ever did have to replace them I'd probably just get new ones from Automation direct (no affiliation, but I love their VFD's).

Many people on the internet like to bash harbor freight, and sometimes they deserve it, but I've usually had good experiences with them.

SteveC
03-18-2010, 12:49 AM
Thanks for all the info.
Here are the parts I'm looking for.

contactor CJX1-22 (3TB43)

thermal relay JR36-20

I tried most of the above mentioned suppliers, but nothing is listed under these part numbers. I assume that there are some compatible parts out there, but I don't know how to identify them. I might try going by Grainger with my parts in hand and see what they can do.

Harbor Freight has still not returned my call, after 1 week.

Gerryrig
03-18-2010, 02:11 AM
I would try HF again. I ordered one from them a few years ago.
Gerry

914Wilhelm
03-18-2010, 02:22 AM
I've never called them but I have emailed them and they were quick with responses for repair parts. The one time I bought something with a missing part from the local (60 miles away) (that really irks me to get home from a trip with a shortage) they shipped to me in a week. No questions asked and no cost.

sidneyt
03-18-2010, 09:33 AM
Try emailing them about your request. I have usually gotten a response within a day or two that way. I have ordered parts for several machines over the past several years and they have always sent me the part. It may take a while depending on the part.

That said, I would also second the idea of replacing the box and motor with a VFD and 3ph motor. I did that with my 33274 and it was second best thing I have done with my machines (the first was doing the same thing with my mill/drill).

Thanks for all the info.
Here are the parts I'm looking for.

contactor CJX1-22 (3TB43)

thermal relay JR36-20

I tried most of the above mentioned suppliers, but nothing is listed under these part numbers. I assume that there are some compatible parts out there, but I don't know how to identify them. I might try going by Grainger with my parts in hand and see what they can do.

MTNGUN
03-18-2010, 11:13 AM
Try Grizzly -- if you insist on repairing the Chinese electrics, which I DON'T recommend.

3ph & VFD. The 3ph motor will outlive you. VFD failures are rare but easily and economically replaced if the need arises.

lakeside53
03-18-2010, 11:52 AM
I'd do just what you were intending - go to Graingers or other and ask them to match what you have with a quality name brand motor starter. Most contactors fall into a few standardized foot prints.

What's actually wrong with it anyhow? Maybe it's because it's cheaply made, but these things usually last forever. Coils can go open circuit, contacts can get dirty etc. if the overloads keep popping, look at your motor or wiring.

MTNGUN
03-18-2010, 03:02 PM
What's actually wrong with it anyhow? Maybe it's because it's cheaply made, but these things usually last forever. Coils can go open circuit, contacts can get dirty etc. if the overloads keep popping, look at your motor or wiring.
The chinese electrics on the 12x36 are notorious for failing. I had multiple contactor failures on both my 12x's before I finally converted to 3ph.

The Yahoo 12x forums have post after post asking for help with the electrics.

In fact, I have a spare HF contactor as well as the old electrical parts (which may or may not work), which I would be willing to give to the OP, however, he'd probably hate me for it because they will eventually fail again. Better to fix it with name brand parts or convert to 3ph.

The chinese electrics are also very difficult to troubleshoot and replace because they are crammed into a tiny box with no wiggle room.

And then there are the high quality instructions and diagrams ......

Pretty decent iron, but the electrics suck.

SteveC
03-18-2010, 08:19 PM
Ok, here is my update. Again thanks for all the help.
I'm not sure why, but Harbor Freight has never call or e-mailed me back. I called them again today and was able to speak to someone who was able to find the parts. Or so he thinks. I'll find out if they are right when they get here.
My original problem was with the motor kicking out. It would restart after a few seconds, and then maybe run for awhile or sometimes cut out again soon. I think it's the thermal relay. Although it could be something wrong with the motor also. I acidently fried the contactor my self, so I can't blame China for that one.
I'll check into the VDf thing, I don't know anything about it.

Steve

lakeside53
03-18-2010, 10:08 PM
The thermal relay may be just doing its job, and you have a motor problem.

Does it trip at startup or when you are running under load (making chips)?

SteveC
03-18-2010, 11:36 PM
It was not under a load. I've been doing a job with some every light cuts. It's only done this a few times, but it can be right at the beginning of running it, or a couple of hours into it. After running for awhile the motor did feel kinda warm, but I'm not sure how warm it should be.

SteveC
04-09-2010, 12:25 AM
I was finaly able to get the parts from Harbor Freight. I installed them and it seems to work fine. I haven't ran the lathe long enough to know for sure if the original problem is gone. I'll follow up when I do.