PDA

View Full Version : Phage II X-Y Table

debequem
11-01-2003, 10:30 AM
Enco had a sale on the Phase II X/Y table for $67.00. After unpacking, I can assure anyone interested that you get less than you pay for.

The casting seems okay, but the screws are slightly bent and the X axis has a mega hard spot when you turn it. The Y axis is a little better. There are no thrust washers or bearings, which is what I expected, but the quality of the screw system is abhorred.

Table does appear to be parallel with the base, so there is hope, but I will need to replace the ACME screws or at least add a bearing to the system.

I bought this to mount on the top of my 8" rotary table. Looks like it will need some work. Should be an interesting project if I can find the time.

Marv

ibewgypsie
11-01-2003, 01:56 PM
Same thing here.. I made my first cnc machine from a table top drill press and a X_Y slide..

I had to disassemble it and use the hand arbor press to straighten out the screws. Kinda like straightening a arrow. Then, I took the handles off, installed ball bearing thrust washers and cast XL gears for it, drilled mounts. After much work it worked great. Kinda slow with the direct manipulation with the 486-tip120s I had then.

David.

dvideo
11-02-2003, 11:30 PM
You know you have it bad when mention of TIP120s brings to mind old and trustworthy friends - now passed to semiconductor oblivion... almost...

--jerry

winchman
11-02-2003, 11:48 PM
A possible source for pretty good acme screws/nuts is automobile scissors jacks. I just picked up a new one ($1) and a slightly used one ($.25) at the local flea market. The jacks also have thrust bearings.

Roger

Evan
11-03-2003, 12:50 AM
TIP120

Got a bag full. If you talk to me nice I'll show you my two axis plotter with TO3 2N3056 drivers and 3 phase steppers that I built 20 years ago. I think I will make it into an engraver.

pgmrdan
11-03-2003, 09:10 AM

[This message has been edited by pgmrdan (edited 11-16-2003).]