PDA

View Full Version : APM show in Vermont??

ZINOM
10-28-2003, 12:39 PM
Anyone going this weekend.....I'll be going up with the family and would enjoy meeting any of y'all.

John

ZINOM
10-29-2003, 09:25 AM
Anyone?

John

spope14
10-29-2003, 08:29 PM
Is that the one in Windsor? If so please e-mail me!!!!!! I need a reminder.

Live only ten miles away from Windsor. Hope to put a model in next year!!!!!!!

Sprocket
10-29-2003, 11:07 PM
I've gone every year since the first one, but this year, they changed weekends and I have a conflict. I think they changed because of the Visalia show last weekend (when APM usually is) and vendors can't be two places at once. Hope they can go back to their old weekend, as the first weekend in November is never available for me. It's about 90 +/- miles from here, but an easy day trip. When I figured I couldn't get to APM, I went to York PA this summer. Iron Fever. It was fun, and lots of good stuff, but too far to make a habit of. Have fun Zinom! Wish I could go.

ZINOM
10-29-2003, 11:51 PM
Spope, you've got mail.

Sprocket maybe I'll see you up there next year!

John

Paul Gauthier
10-30-2003, 07:00 AM
Have any particulars as to where, what town etc. ???????

------------------
Paul G.

ZINOM
10-30-2003, 09:18 AM
It's this Sturday and Sunday, in Windsor Vermont.....the American Precision Museum sponsors it I believe and you can get more details from thier website: americanprecision.org

I don't know if there's much foliage left, but it still should be a nice drive and it'll get me out of the basement for a bit!

Paul, I think it's like three hours from my house in Rhode Island, so it's not that bad.....even when you factor in the "Rhode Island mentality" about driving more than an hour from home haha.

Maybe we'll see you there.

John

BC21OSH
10-30-2003, 09:31 PM
Winsor Vermont?

I was just watching the history channel today and they had the story of Smith & Wesson.

Apparently it was in a factory in Winsor that Wesson met Smith and developed the friendship that lead to their partnership that became the Smith & Wesson Company.

It showed some manufacturing that had been filmed recently of old line drive machinery. Is there a working museum in Winsor? That would be worth seeing.

Bernard

ZINOM
10-31-2003, 01:15 AM
The American Precision Museum has a lot of line drive machinery, some of it operating daily and is in the location of the former Robbins and Lawrence Armory, a pioneering company driving the concept of interchangable parts as it applied to gun making (don't quote me on this stuff, I may not have it all correct).

It IS a cool place to check out....the old lathes and other machinery are very cool and truly give you a feeling of connectedness to the men who were toiling away to push this country along the path it would eventually pave for the rest of the world.

Poetic huh?

The show is in a separate location around the block I think, but the museum is right near it.

Plus they got some awesome little machine shop dioramas where all the machines start operating when you push a button....you know....fun stuff!

That's it,

John

BC21OSH
10-31-2003, 09:31 PM
John,

Thanks for the information. I would be interested to hear about your trip.

The Robbins and Lawrence Armory, that's the place that Wesson met Smith. They were doing research on early weapons development there.

It would be a great place to visit.

Bernard

nheng
11-02-2003, 08:23 PM
Found my way over to the show. Some pretty nice little engines there. Left some drool on the scale Hardinge HLVH and DSM59 models. Those things are absolute jewels !
Den

Evan
11-03-2003, 11:32 AM
Extreme jealousy here. There isn't a show within ten hours drive (one way) from where I live.

ZINOM
11-03-2003, 03:03 PM
I had a great time....I am not involved in model steam engines but there's no way to not appreciate the quality and craftsmanship of the many different designs that were on display.

I picked up a couple bits of used tooling that were in line with my budget and also brought my antique table top lathe in to get some ideas about it's history....the lathe got some attention from some of the folks from the museum as well as some of the guys there who knew their stuff....good to get some input about it.

There weren't a lot of retail dealers like I'd expected, but there were plenty of friendly HSM's to talk to and learn from.

I'll be going next year too.

John