PDA

View Full Version : Grinding Centers for the HSM shop

Too_Many_Tools
03-19-2010, 11:59 AM
A shop usually has a number of grinders that serve different uses. The one common issue is that all grinders create abrasive dust that can harm other machines around them.

One approach to controlling that abrasive dust is to have all the grinding machines in one location so dust control is manageable.

I would like to hear and SEE what others have done to organize their grinding machines and control abrasive dust in their HSM shop.

Thanks

TMT

rockrat
03-19-2010, 02:49 PM
At the old place, the grinding area was on one side of the shop with all the belt sanders and welding area not far off while the layout table and jig bore (etc) was on the other side.

The space made good natural filtration. Just never good enough.

In the shop out back of the house, I use plastic if I'm making a big mess. Otherwise, the 15 feet from the grinder to the better tools seems to work well.

rock~

John Stevenson
03-19-2010, 02:58 PM
My swing grinder is outside under a sheet and I just take the sheet off to run it and then sheet it back down.

All the crap goes outside.

Alistair Hosie
03-19-2010, 04:30 PM

So your shop must me spotless like whotmineass:DAlistair

rohart
03-19-2010, 04:53 PM
In the interests of keeping my grinding as far away as possible from where the important work goes on, I chose to site my grinder on the lathe bench at the tailstock end of my lathe. That sort of shows how big my shop is.

Since I keep my working tools in a tray between tailstock and grinder - the lathe's too small to have a tool tray sitting above the headstock, when I have my grinder on they rattle away, so I have to move the whole tray out before I grind. That's probably what keeps the tools clean.

small.planes
03-19-2010, 05:08 PM
Once I got my grinder in I built a wall between it and the rest of the shop.

Dave

.RC.
03-19-2010, 05:59 PM
My swing grinder is outside under a sheet and I just take the sheet off to run it and then sheet it back down.

I thought you would have your grinder next to the bridgeport, in fact I thought you might grind on the bridgeport :D

Too_Many_Tools
03-22-2010, 01:38 AM
Thanks for the responses so far...how about some more from the 450 viewers we have had so far?

Thanks

TMT

John Stevenson
03-22-2010, 05:09 AM
I thought you would have your grinder next to the bridgeport, in fact I thought you might grind on the bridgeport :D

Not accurate enough...................

I need to be able to hold plus or minus 0.02..............inches that is ..:D

Blueskys
03-22-2010, 05:18 AM
I roll my grinding outside if the weather isn't ridiculously dreadful.
I have a garage door on the shop, a large cement slab outside ,and receptacles close by so it's easy.

rock_breaker
03-22-2010, 06:09 AM
My grinder is a Montgomery Ward "jack-shaft" model with the 1/3 hp motor underneath, all nounted on a home built stand. It now sits approximately 10 feet from the lathe tailstock in an old house being made over into a shop/garage.. All major steel fabrication and grinding is done outside using side-grinders, as you can guess not a lot of this work gets done in the winter.

J Tiers
03-22-2010, 08:00 AM
I moved all of it, grinding, filing, and bandsaw (Atlas, of course) to the other end of the basement, 2 doors and 35 feet away. Seems to work, unless I HAVE to do some grinding on the lathe.

If I can find some decent centers and maybe a workhead for the old Greenlee T&C grinder, then I won't have to do ANY on-the-lathe grinding.