PDA

View Full Version : JET 1024 lathe troubles

poncho
03-19-2010, 12:46 PM
I have a jet 1024 metal lathe manufactured in 1976. When I use the power feed to move the carriage it will seize up after about 30 seconds of feeding. It appears to have a problem in the carriage; so I am at the point of taking the carriage off and inspecting the internal gears, etc. The carriage does not come off easily; has anyone done this before? A while back grumpyoldgeek posted a picture of a lathe that looks just like mine. http://www.grumpyoldgeek.com/images/lathe.jpg

RWO
03-19-2010, 02:42 PM
As I recall, yours is built similar to my 13x36. It's been awhile since I had mine apart, but here goes.

You have to remove the feed shaft and lead screw first. Drive the shear pins out of the couplings at the gearbox. Remove the shaft bearing bracket at the tailstock end of the bed. Now you can pull out both shafts towards the tailstock. Then you remove the four socket head cap screws that hold the apron to the saddle. This allows the apron to drop down and away from the lathe. Apron contains all the gears.

If this is not right, excuse me for butting in.

RWO

Bourne Bill
03-19-2010, 02:54 PM
www.bondcar.com-lathe-jet_1024p_manual.pdf here is a site that you can get a printout of the lathe manual. I have a 1024p

wooleybooger
03-19-2010, 09:54 PM
sounds like what happened to my rockwell. i know: ford and chevy but here goes. i rolled the apron and carriage to the tailstock end and removed the bolts that hold the carriage and apron together. i propped up the carriage enough to clear the gears and then rolled the apron to the left. i found swarf imbedded in the gears. since my apron is open on the back with an open oil sump this gave me a chance to drain the oil,clean the backside and get the oily mud out of the sump. if you leave the lead screw and feed rod intact,you can operate the lathe under power to see how things work. just be carefull not to crash.

Terry L
03-19-2010, 11:55 PM
As I recall, yours is built similar to my 13x36. It's been awhile since I had mine apart, but here goes.

You have to remove the feed shaft and lead screw first. Drive the shear pins out of the couplings at the gearbox. Remove the shaft bearing bracket at the tailstock end of the bed. Now you can pull out both shafts towards the tailstock. Then you remove the four socket head cap screws that hold the apron to the saddle. This allows the apron to drop down and away from the lathe. Apron contains all the gears.

If this is not right, excuse me for butting in.

RWO

That is the way I did it and I also have a Jet 13x36. But instead of pulling the shafts from the apron, I took off apron, shafts and all as one unit.

poncho
03-20-2010, 11:09 PM
Thanks gents for your replys. I got the carriage off and inside the apron found one broken pin; one pin came completely out and a loose set screw. Lots of swarf too; so looks like a good cleaning is in order and my repair should be easy. I think I got off lucky; no stripped gears. Should have it back together in a couple days; I'm being forced to go fishing tomorrow.

thanks again,
Brian