PDA

View Full Version : Deeep Boring (job completed)

lotsa luck
11-02-2003, 10:20 PM
The tube idea was nice, but too long of a wait and too much $'s for the minimums. I just finished the job on my Webb. I love a challenge like this... see http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//Forum1/HTML/004217.html

First I milled a holder from 1" 6061 plate that bolted to my cross slide with a 4.25 id center hole. I tapped into the center 4 1/2" bolts, in order to center and hold the 4" stock. I centered and clamped the 4" bar stock into the holder with the outer end (tailstock removed) positioned in the steady rest. Indexed the whole thing to center.

I then made a milling head with an M3 taper on it. Useing a 4' piece of 1.5" cold rolled steel with an M3 female end placed in the chuck I was able to first drill the part with a 2" bit and then bore it to size. The feed was done by the cross slide under power feeding the stock into the chuck. Every 2" I stopped and inserted an airgun extension through the spinde and beside the boring bar to clear chips. Then move the boring bar in the chuck as the hole progressed. I also ended up making several 3" od spacers that were locked to the boring bar every 10 inches with set screws to help center it while deep in the part (that made it tough to clear chips).

I just knew there was a way. Just had to sleep on it a couple of nights...

Stay Safe!

John Garner
11-02-2003, 11:00 PM
lotsa luck --

Congratulations!

And thanks for the "How I did it" technical lesson.

John

Evan
11-03-2003, 12:18 AM
Dang,

Did you take some pictures?

SJorgensen
11-03-2003, 01:52 AM
Sounds like a great solution. The only problem is the difficulty in keeping the bore concentric to the workpiece. If you had been able to jig up a lathe bed extension you might have been able to turn the workpiece and it would have had that one important advantage. Of course now you have successfully done that job and I have not.

Spence

lotsa luck
11-03-2003, 09:47 AM
Reading a straight edge against the inside wall it looks like the runout is less than .125 which is way better than expected and not a problem for the application. The spacers helped with the alignment of the boring bar. I took some pics, but have not had luck getting them to upload to the column.

G.A. Ewen
11-03-2003, 10:00 AM
lotsa luck, did you try Evans instuctions for posting photos? (found in Networking)

Evan
11-03-2003, 12:04 PM
George,

I haven't been able to get to photobucket for several days now. All I get is an Apache server test page. Are you seeing the same thing?

G.A. Ewen
11-03-2003, 01:02 PM
Evan,
Photobucket is working fine out here.

Evan
11-03-2003, 01:11 PM
George,

Would you do me a favour please? Open a DOS window and type in "tracert photobucket.com" at the prompt (no quotes). I would like to know what ip address photobucket.com resolves to at your end. The last line the tracert (Trace Route) command gives will be the ip address of the destination machine. From here it is 66.98.136.38

Also, would you try typing in that ip address in the address bar of IE and see what you get?

I have a feeling that the Telus DNS machine is hooped.

G.A. Ewen
11-03-2003, 06:04 PM
Evan,
I would really like to help you but I don't think that my computer skills are up to it. I don't know what a "DOS window" is. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//redface.gif

Evan
11-03-2003, 06:14 PM
That's ok George. I have managed to determine that the phone company's DNS server is the problem and have reported it. With any luck it might be fixed this year.

crews1
11-03-2003, 08:35 PM
(Long time lurker, first time poster)

Another way to do a 'tracert' is to click 'Start', click 'Run' and then type in "tracert photobucket.com" (without the quote marks)

Evan
11-03-2003, 08:44 PM
The problem with that is the DOS box will close when tracert completes.

crews1
11-03-2003, 08:55 PM
Hit the 'Print Scrn' key, open a new email (or Wordpad), hit 'Edit and then 'Paste'. That'll give you a .jpg Screenshot.
Sometimes if I don't feel like cutting and pasting something, I'll use that to email it to myself.