PDA

View Full Version : A rear sight for a buddie's AMT 30 carbine



Buckshot
03-25-2010, 03:30 AM
My neighbor has a buddy with one of the AMT 30 carbine semi auto pistols, whose rear sight had parted company with the slide. My friend asked if I could make him a new one and he'd pay for it. I said I probably could but I doubted I'd be able to make it windage adjustable, and to myself I thought I really didn't want to make it at all :-)

http://www.fototime.com/1A872A74808D1F2/standard.jpghttp://www.fototime.com/CBD46B9034D6CCE/standard.jpg

I hadn't thought to take any pics when first starting the project, and the one on the left of drilling the roll pin hole was the first. The slide was already drilled for the pin so I naturally used it for the guide. The right photo is after drilling and shows the sight as I'd had it done to that point.

http://www.fototime.com/F4D30F3D7415969/standard.jpghttp://www.fototime.com/49A4C5F1F74E688/standard.jpg

Another couple photo's of the raw rear sight as machined to that point and having cross drilled for the retaining roll pin. On the right the sight has now been drilled for the elevation adjusting screw.

Part 2 below:

Buckshot
03-25-2010, 03:53 AM
http://www.fototime.com/D083B06012FDFA9/standard.jpghttp://www.fototime.com/ABFB3E29D8FB888/standard.jpg

Polished and heat blued.

http://www.fototime.com/AF0D350ED258A8E/standard.jpghttp://www.fototime.com/2320266CBD6D5A5/standard.jpg

As installed on the slide. While there is no windage adjustment there is elevation via the screw. It took forever searching for a ball point pin I could scavange the spring out of to use to maintain upward pressure between the sight and slide. It had to be cut down of course. I just used a piece of 5/8"x5/8" hot rolled 1018 for the sight. The hardest part was figuring out how to hold it once it had been whittled dwon to a certain point.

I figured out that probably doing the machining on the largest (rear) portion of it would be the best way to go. The long forward leg was merely a rectangular piece and that's what was still attached to the parent stock. That was parted off and the radius on the underside of it (upper right photo) was filed in by hand. At that point it was as it appears in the first photo's of the 1st post.

It took me about 5 hours to make (never made one before) and being as he was my neighbor I felt bad about asking for $40 for it, but he gave me $60 and I took it :-)

Rick

deltaenterprizes
03-25-2010, 02:28 PM
Looks great,at those prices I might be sending you some work. It is kind of hart to find competent machinists to work for $10/hr and have their own lathe and mill too! LOL Great work as usual.

Buckshot
03-27-2010, 12:59 AM
Believe me, I WISH I could charge by the hour!

Rick