PDA

View Full Version : Free desk, on side of road..... IN Georgia...

ibewgypsie
11-02-2003, 03:38 PM
I pushed a old metal desk out to the side of the highway in front of the new shop. 50,000 cars a day go up the road.

It sat there on the side of the road for about a week, then I wrote in paint on the back, "Free desk" Sure enough it was gone mysteriously in the middle of the night. Thanks Smitty for the ideal.

I posted a free welder in the local free classifieds, A real mistake, I could nothing for the phone ringing at all hours for weeks.

I have three more desks and a bug infested couch, reckon that will work on them too?

Now, we still have about 700 tires on the property, about 100 are saleable. Rest are trash. My partners crackhead son sorted them all out. I think he plans on taking the good ones, leaving the core's.. Nothing like kinfolk right? I heard one of the youngins say they should take them to the local insurance bluff...

AND, by the way, the shop is too small. I have already throwed a temper tantrum about the junk accumulating.

gamachinist
11-02-2003, 08:13 PM
ibew,
Don't you know a shop is never large enough!I've got some cleaning out to do myself this winter.All these folks that have left stuff here will get one phone call to come get it before I sell it or trash it!
Robert.

Traceman
11-02-2003, 08:18 PM
One time I had something sitting beside the road for a couple of days and no one picked it up. Then one day I put a piece of cardboard on there with "For Sale" on it and it was gone the next day.

Paul Gauthier
11-03-2003, 03:15 PM
Ibew,

There is a saying, "Possessions increase in order to fill available space".

------------------
Paul G.

lunkenheimer
11-03-2003, 04:14 PM
Also 'expenses expand to equal income plus available credit'

audrey
11-03-2003, 04:15 PM
Mennonite Shingles? Thats what we call tires up here in the Great White north. The
mennonites burn them for heat here Maple Syrup Boilers. And what a fine smell. Good fuel for a stinky hot fire. Burn Them for free heat. Audrery

debequem
11-03-2003, 04:19 PM
It is truely amazing what people will go for.

I once had a toilet with a cracked base that I threw out. After the trash was picked up I realized I had missed an oportunity. I am convinced that if I had either put a sign that said free or for sale, that it would be gone faster than the trash gets picked up.

I had some (a couple dozen) bricks that I set out with a sign that said free. An hour later a women had stopped and was loading them up when someone else stopped and began to argue that he should have them. Neighbor said the two nearly got into a fight!

ibewgypsie
11-04-2003, 08:55 AM
Deb..

want to know a brick's real value? just be close to a riot in progress. They do about as much damage as a stinger missle I think.

I saw one go through my buddie's maverick windshield once.

The old street gangs used them off the building tops to defend thier territory.

During the 70's trucker strikes, bricks throwed off the overpasses killed several truckers trying to feed thier family.

Maybe person #2 didn't want person #1 to have ammo? Ha Ha..

wierdscience
11-04-2003, 09:06 PM
One of our local punks I watched throw a brick at a plate glass window,it bounced off and beamed'm in the head http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif Best laugh I had that whole week http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by wierdscience (edited 11-04-2003).]