PDA

View Full Version : Myford Lathe Value

Alex H
11-02-2003, 07:36 PM
Hi, My name is Alex Hrabko. A friend of mine recently passed away. His spouse has been left with an interesting menagerie of workshop tools, wood and metal. One of the items his spouse is looking to sell is a Myford metal lathe. Can anyone help us in determing a fair market value? I took some digital pictures of the lathe and can send them for reference.

Evan
11-02-2003, 07:49 PM
Alex,

My condolences. I am not an appraiser but a Myford is a very good lathe. Used, especially carefully used lathes do not appear on the market often. You have not given any information about just what sort of Myford lathe this is. Do you have particulars?

Oso
11-02-2003, 10:00 PM
As a point of reference, recent ML7 type (there are other cheper ones) seem to sell here new for something around 6 or 7 thousand.

I have seen the cheaper Myford types for sale used at "only" 2 or 3 thousand. The ML7 type would be more desirable and valuable, if a buyer can be found.

However, the price depends also on your location. If in Alaska, the price is higher than in a hotbed of manufacturing where machines go cheap due to available quantity.

Guero
11-03-2003, 07:30 AM
Hi Alex. My condolences on your friend's passing. The value of the Myford can be quite variable - somewhat depending on where you're located and more depending on the Myford model. To determine which model your friend owned I would suggest you check out www.lathes.co.uk/myford/index.html. (http://www.lathes.co.uk/myford/index.html.) A well-maintained, Super 7B (the one with the quick-change gearbox) can be worth their weight in gold in some parts of the world. The Myford ML10 is Myford's bottom-range "introductory" model and generally doesn't hold as much value as the ML7's and Super 7's. The Myford accessories for the ML7's and Super 7's also keep their value very well if in decent condition and again, depending on where you're located, these items will sell for a high figure. Myfords in the U.S. are relatively scarce; they're more common in Canada and Australia, New Zealand and South Africa; they're very common in England (Myford is located in Notthinghamshire, England) and I've noticed recently that used Myfords have been selling for higher prices in the UK than they were even a year or so ago. I think it would be a good idea to do a little research into the above as I would like to see your friend's wife receive the true value of the Myford's worth and not sell it for a pittance. Please keep us posted.

Alex H
11-03-2003, 08:12 PM
I didn't mention it before but the owner of the lathe has a number of back issues of the "Home Shop Machinist" magazine. (that's how I found this site.

Thank you all for your help regarding the Myford Lathe. I was trying to determine which model it is, but couldn't find a model tag. It has the three levers for speed adjustment so I think it must be an ML7BT with Gearbox, Tri-leva spindle speed selector.

I haven't figured out how to include a picture with this posting. Send me an email to "alex.hrabko@frontiernet.net" and I'll send pictures.

I'm thinking about buying it for my own use? But where will I put it?

Evan
11-03-2003, 10:17 PM
Alex,

Look in the Networking Forum for instructions on how to post a picture.

Ragarsed Raglan
11-04-2003, 11:58 AM
Alex,

Quote: I'm thinking about buying it for my own use? But where will I put it?

This is a warning! If your thinking of purchasing this for your own use you will have to make sacrifices:-

Put it in the garage ~ leave the car outside all year round (not a bad thing to do as cars stored in garages and driven regularly tend to rust quicker!)

Build a shed ~ Tell the wife it's for storing the gardening equipment, works every time!

Clear that junk out of the basement ~ score even more credits with the better half by clearing the basement - then fill it with engineering tools!! Much better class of junk.

Clear a space in the kitchen ~ this could be grounds for a divorce ~ approach this with caution.

Sounds like your getting on the slippery slope! Good to have you along!!

RR

Dr. Rob
11-04-2003, 01:34 PM
Ragarsed, my company name is / was Rob's Kitchen. Wonder why?

Ragarsed Raglan
11-04-2003, 03:55 PM
Dr. Rob,

Sometimes a man's just gotta make sacrifices!

RR

Dr. Rob
11-05-2003, 08:28 AM
Yeah. Eating is overrated anyway.

Alex H, I hope you take the plunge. Myford makes a good jumpin' in place.