PDA

View Full Version : Come on Rudy

metal mite
02-24-2002, 09:52 AM
Been reading your Q. C. Toolholder art. with interest.
Got a couple of comments.
Photo 5,6, and 7.
The Clapperbox should be set on an angle facing into the cut.
On the back (feed) stroke the tool will swing out and away from the cut and minimise bouncing and dragging on the finish.
Photo 4
I use a threading tyre tool with 1/16 radius. Feed across and gradually feed the upper slide down while the machine is running.
That thin neck an your "parting tool" is too prone to breakage.
Photo 2
Is that a belt? Good thing OSHA dosen't inspect home shop machinists.
Watch your shirt sleeve, and tie.

Don't know how you manage to cut with carbide on that machine with out chipping the carbide tool.
Never could manage that, except cutting cast iron, and manually holding the clapper up on each back stroke.

Looking foreward to part 2

Metal Mite

bighammer
02-24-2002, 05:03 PM
Rudy has 2 shops you know, one that he does projects in and one that he uses for photographing his work, the second shop never has any chips laying around. I read that once in Home Shop Machinist letters column. Yep I really did!!!!

Thrud
02-25-2002, 12:27 AM
You must give those of us that have A CRAPPY SNAIL SERVICE a heads up on whathtehellyouaretalkingabout! I am presuming you have a new issue - I am so jealous.

dave

metal mite
02-25-2002, 11:57 AM
That must be the photo shop.
Wondered how he cut all that stuff with no chips.
Mine sure never looks like that.
He still should have set the clapper right.
I mean he's our mentor, isn't he.
I sure got chewed out when I was an apprentice boy on the planer, or any machine, for having ANYTHING set wrong.
Like I thought, that machine isn't gonna pull those, carbide tools thru any kind of a cut.
Some beginner is going to try it that way, and end up very frustraited.
Hss tool with a lip is the way to go.
metal mite

RonGinger
02-26-2002, 03:03 PM
We have had Rudy speak to our club (the New England Model Enigneering Society) twice and he swears that he has only one shop, and it is very tiny- I think it was about 8x12 feet. He insists that cleaning up before pictures is part of his regular routine, and I think he feels he owes it to his readers to give clear photos.

He is amost interesting fellow.