PDA

View Full Version : Bridgeport home - worked a treat!

Weston Bye
04-06-2010, 05:34 PM
Thanks to John Stevenson, bringing home a Bridgeport went without a hitch. I did the whole move with just a PT Cruiser, and a utility trailer for the the largest parts, base and knee.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/Weston/DSCN3578.jpg

Sir John's instructions can be found in this thread:

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=40589

Loading the parts in the car or on the trailer was easy enough as there was a forklift at work.
Upon John's advice I bought a Harbor Freight 1 ton shop crane (foldable), just happened to be on sale, too, for unloading into my garage. Did all that by myself with no stress or strain.

It is indeed amazing at the amount of swarf that finds its way into the castings. I will be cleaning for a while, then will have to lift everything up 12" from the garage to my workshop - more crane work.

Now, this mill has the 4" riser between the base and turret. I am disinclined to reinstall it as I can barely reach the quill drawbolt, and my work runs toward small so I don't need the extra capacity. Any advice?

If I decide to omit the riser, I will need the shorter bolts. I wonder if anyone is interested in a swap? I can bring the riser to NAMES. Otherwise heavy shipping.

rockrat
04-06-2010, 05:52 PM
Thanks to John Stevenson, bringing home a Bridgeport went without a hitch.

Hold on now. There seems to be a hitch. Its between the car and the trailer. :rolleyes:

Congrats. And its good to hear that your move was without major effort. Mills can almost (almost I said) be fun to move.

Hope all of your projects are as enjoyable.

rock~

Weston Bye
04-06-2010, 05:57 PM
Thanks to John Stevenson, bringing home a Bridgeport went without a hitch...

Let me rephrase that. The move was profoundly unremarkable.:D

Video Man
04-06-2010, 06:00 PM
Let me rephrase that. The move was profoundly unremarkable.:D
That's the best kind. U-Haul used to have a slogan of "Adventures in Moving," the ABSOLUTE last thing I want to happen in a move...:rolleyes:

Doc Nickel
04-06-2010, 06:13 PM
Now, this mill has the 4" riser between the base and turret. I am disinclined to reinstall it as I can barely reach the quill drawbolt, and my work runs toward small so I don't need the extra capacity. Any advice?

-Skip it. Assuming it's a normal-sized Bridgy, unless you find yourself doing engine blocks or big pump castings, you'll likely never need it. I haven't exceeded my BPclone's capacities since I got it seven years ago.

Doc.

John Stevenson
04-06-2010, 07:05 PM

Send it to Dave Miller, he's coming over this month, I'm always running out of room on mine. :D
I can get a 7" riser but i think that's a tad too big, only ever seen one 4" riser for sale and I missed that.

Peter.
04-06-2010, 07:13 PM
Well done Weston! I had to move my Herbert on my own - including getting it off the trailer by sliding down planks and onto a 6" tall trolley with no lifting gear. It's not as big as a Bridgy tho at only half a ton, but it sure made me sweat for more than one reason :)

mototed
04-06-2010, 07:26 PM
When I moved "Milldreald" to my basement. Told the wife to have the phone in her hand to call 911. The Lathe was a lot easier. Had a roll back tow truck, told the driver "hey lets just put this pulley around these two support posts that hold the flight of stairs (from the basement that go to up to our first floor), and we can use your winch and drag the beast in." Worked great except it yanked the post out from the floor. Wife had a fit. Thought I was tearing the house down.:( Ten minutes later with a sledge hammer and some proper anchor bolts that should have been installed in the first place, no problem.;)
Milling machines can be a real pain to move to a home shop, especially to a basement location, for sure.

nheng
04-06-2010, 07:40 PM
Congratulations and hope you enjoy it Weston ! I thought about engine blocks but Doc beat me to it. I find the knee travel is generally adequate for my needs ... small to medium precision parts.

I always forget that you can rotate the turret off the table for use like a radial drill or for boring (within the 5" quill travel limit). You then have about 4 feet from the spindle to the floor vs the 18" or so to the table.

Den

DFMiller
04-06-2010, 08:24 PM
John,
It looks like my trip is delayed for a while. :-(
But I will be over some time soon. ;-)

Dave

aboard_epsilon
04-06-2010, 08:26 PM
Send it to Dave Miller, he's coming over this month, I'm always running out of room on mine. :D
I can get a 7" riser but i think that's a tad too big, only ever seen one 4" riser for sale and I missed that.

must have been the one i bought then :)

i never take mine off ..

if you're taking it off you may need shorter bolts ..

all the best.markj

Davo J
04-06-2010, 09:45 PM
If I decide to omit the riser, I will need the shorter bolts..

A new machine day is always a good one.:D
I would recommend you keep the riser. Once you get a MT drill in there plus the vise with the job in it, it soon gets eaten up.
With the draw bar height you could make a timber slat mat which will lift you 2 or 3 inches and save you walking in chips.
Dave

Jim Shaper
04-06-2010, 10:33 PM
I use a super spacer on my machine that eats up every bit of 7". There's lots of days I'd love a spacer.

However, if you don't need the extra daylight, you're better off not having it for rigidity's sake. 4" would be a good all around size that would allow for drill chucks and vises without sticking the head up so high you needed to drop the quill to reach the work.

gda
04-07-2010, 01:54 AM
too funny - I have the same trailer and will have a torn down bridgeport on it later this year.

I would be happy to swap you the riser I don't have for the riser you do have. I'll have to measure the space between my ceiling and power drawbar.

Aftermarket bolts are $10 each or so.

Jim Shaper
04-07-2010, 01:56 AM
Bolts shouldn't cost you anything close to that. I just spent 12 bucks on 4 20mm x 6" bolts. Those are slightly smaller than 3/4".

John Stevenson
04-07-2010, 03:58 AM
Bolts shouldn't cost you anything close to that. I just spent 12 bucks on 4 20mm x 6" bolts. Those are slightly smaller than 3/4".

That's funny because 20mm bolts are slightly bigger here than 3/4", perhaps because we are down hill from you or they shrink as they make the trans Atlantic voyage ? :D

Circlip
04-07-2010, 04:03 AM
Perhaps they were the cost reduced Chinese ones??

Regards Ian

John Stevenson
04-07-2010, 04:19 AM
Steel or copper ?

Circlip
04-07-2010, 04:30 AM
Steal plated Copper.:)

gda
04-07-2010, 09:18 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/BRIDGEPORT-MILL-PART-MILLING-MACHINE-LOCKING-BOLT_W0QQitemZ400097720206QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_De faultDomain_0?hash=item5d27aeb78e

I imagine a used set would cost less.

Here is another option I thought of last night. Make 4 spacers for the bolts with some round stock. Think 4" high washers. It will be ugly, but it will get you up and running fast without the riserr. This will also let you run a while before you decide for certain that you don't want the riser. If in the end you decide you don't need to keep it I'm sure you could swap out the bolts one at a time for shorter ones.

Weston Bye
04-07-2010, 11:00 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/BRIDGEPORT-MILL-PART-MILLING-MACHINE-LOCKING-BOLT_W0QQitemZ400097720206QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_De faultDomain_0?hash=item5d27aeb78e

I imagine a used set would cost less.

Here is another option I thought of last night. Make 4 spacers for the bolts with some round stock. Think 4" high washers. It will be ugly, but it will get you up and running fast without the riserr. This will also let you run a while before you decide for certain that you don't want the riser. If in the end you decide you don't need to keep it I'm sure you could swap out the bolts one at a time for shorter ones.

Excellent Idea! I suspect that that is what I will do unless I make a swap before I assemble the mill.

krutch
04-07-2010, 12:29 PM
I remember once useing three 2-4-6 blocks to get the space for a job. I wasn't too comfortable with jacking up the turret with everytihing still attached. Used allthread, washers and nuts to keep it from shifting while jacking. Not something I care to repeat, but it got the job done.
Krutch

Mentally confused and prone to wandering.

aboard_epsilon
04-07-2010, 01:59 PM
I had to make the long bolts for mine

wasnt such a big job...and my first threading job.. just get hexagon shaft .

turn it down thread it .leave a bit for the heads .

all the best.markj