PDA

View Full Version : Source for Stainless Steel Tanks?

oneeyedmac
04-06-2010, 09:38 PM
Hello all, I'm in need of stainless steel tanks for parking and I'd like to find someone who can fab some up for me for around $40-$50 bucks. I know there is a guy on ebay that sells them for $100 a pop and Brownell's has them but I've heard they can be found for half that. Any help would be great.

Jim Shaper
04-06-2010, 09:50 PM
Get a stainless steel stock pot.

oneeyedmac
04-06-2010, 09:55 PM
Get a stainless steel stock pot.

That would work for pistols and small parts but I predominately build rifles.

40"x3"x3" or 40x4x4 would be right. If I could find round SS tube that was wide enough I could cap it on either end and cut a scallop in the top for access like the PVC tube that was in Gun Tests last week.

Jim Shaper
04-06-2010, 10:19 PM
A piece of tube shouldn't be too hard to find. Maybe check the scrap yards for something that came out of food service?

deltaenterprizes
04-06-2010, 10:31 PM
Try a used bar supply shop and get the well where they keep the bar brand bottles in front of the sink.

chriskat
04-07-2010, 10:34 PM
Try a used bar supply shop and get the well where they keep the bar brand bottles in front of the sink.

Called a speed rail if you want to call around. Lots of times, maybe even most of the time, they have holes in the bottom so they'll drain. Before you drive very far ask about that.

If you don't have a lot to do I usually use a piece of 3" or 4" PVC. Heat the park'ing solution to the hot end of the range, like 190, and pour it in over the part to be park'd. Let it stand for 20 minutes or so, it has always stayed hot enough for me to work.

I've done a couple of M1 Garand barrels and a 1919A4 barrel and shroud that way.

Jeff

milsurpcollector
04-10-2010, 01:46 PM
I reccomend a restruant supply house, if you are near a large metro area there are probably several.

If you find some stainless steel sheet you can make your own.

I made 2 that way, not pretty but they work.

Pm me for how to make a pipe burner to save more $