PDA

View Full Version : Buying Metal in Calgary

ftl
04-08-2010, 03:47 AM
I dropped by Assorted Metals in Calgary today and discovered they are closed. A nasty letter from the landlord was taped to the window. Non-payment of rent, etc. It seems they are pretty much permanently gone.

That just leaves Metal Supermarket for small quantites of various stuff that I know about. I've found them to be quite expensive.

Does anybody know of any place in town to buy scrap or surplus metals? Or even reasonable deals on new stuff?

camdigger
04-08-2010, 07:32 AM
Many years ago, I used to buy from Blackfoot Metals in Ogden.

Even though their primary business was recyling/scrap, they had a bit of new HR section in the random lengths. They'd cut down to fit in my pickup for a fee.

I tried Russel, but they have a $500 minimum in Cowtown.

Last time I bought metal, it was in Red Deer. I've bought relatively small quantities from Red Deer Industrial, Harpers, and Russel there. Typically, I buy a few random lengths at a time.

If you're looking for general repair welding iron,the UFA in Airdrie may stock flat and angle iron. Other locations (like Trochu and Olds) do.
http://www.ufa.net/locations/LocationLanding.html

Looking for anything in particular? (I know a guy who could fix you up with a bit of rod...)

legendboy
04-08-2010, 03:37 PM
Metalsupermarket is a complete rippoff but if you need it you need it!

I am lucky enough to work at a company where we are constantly buying metal from all over, so I can usually get stuff when i need it.

What exactly are you looking for?

Dragons_fire
04-08-2010, 07:31 PM
i usually end up getting my metal from metal supermarkets. They are really expensive, but i havent been able to find anywhere else either.

I used to get steel stuff from calgary metal, but the last time i was there they said they made too much off of scrap that they got rid of the new stuff so they could use that land.

If you find somewhere cheap(er) i would be interested too.

M.I. Twice
04-08-2010, 09:39 PM
Try Princess Auto they can be a little costly but unless you need a large amount they have a fair selection. Also Canadian Tire. some machine & welding shops will sell the scrap ends . Regards

Dragons_fire
04-08-2010, 11:05 PM
Princess auto and canadian tire are even more expensive than metal supermarkets, and their metal is horrible for most machining.

Oldbrock
04-09-2010, 12:02 AM
Give Janice a call at Encore metals a call, get my durabar there, Peter

ftl
04-10-2010, 01:04 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I wasn't looking for anything in particular. I generally dropped by Assorted metals every month or two and bought a few things from their cutoffs section (by the pound) for my general supply pile.

I also used to buy both new and used metal from Calgary Metal. The used stuff was generally quite a good deal. The last time a bought a bunch of new rebar for my patio, it was around a third of the price it was at Home Depot.

It seems like a sad situation. I guess I'll need to keep scrounging as much as possible.

quasi
04-11-2010, 04:40 PM
Princess Auto and the like are 2x the price of Metal Supermarkets. Metal Supermarkets is at least 2x the price of the metal warehouses. If you phone around, I think there are a couple that still have $50.00 minimums.

There is a scrapyard on 52 st E , way south of Glenmore trail, right side of the road. It had a huge pile of 4140 P.G. in cardboard tubes for a while. I have cut steel off of oilfield skids there, even removed whole M.C.C.'S from units.

You need your own cutting equipment, my brother is a constant customer of theirs so they treat him well.

I just remembered the name Federal Metals

loose nut
04-11-2010, 05:06 PM
Get a MP3 player with earphones and use it to play back the theme song to Mission Impossible while you go over the fence at the local scrap yard at midnight.

Remember though if you are caught we will disavow you.