PDA

View Full Version : OT Once I built a railroad....

michaelantipode
04-08-2010, 09:09 AM
I can't figure why someone else has to do it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/08/business/global/08rail.html?th&emc=th

Tony Ennis
04-08-2010, 09:28 AM
Amazing. A bankrupt state with high unemployment is borrowing money from the country's biggest creditor to build a rail line using that country's engineers.

"The authority was awarded $2.25 billion in January in federal economic stimulus money to work on the project. "

Ah. There ya have it.

oldtiffie
04-08-2010, 09:41 AM
Have you been rail-roaded - or are you about to be?

JCHannum
04-08-2010, 10:34 AM
Ticket counters will be at your local Dollar Store.

Liger Zero
04-08-2010, 10:36 AM
OMG BETTER CHECK THE WIRING IT MIGHT BE STEEL NOT COPPER!!!

:eek:

goose
04-08-2010, 10:52 AM
to G.E., the agreement calls for at least 80 percent of the components of any locomotives and system control gear to come from American suppliers, and labor-intensive final assembly would be done in the United States for the American market

Get an American bank to offer financing...sorry, they won't do that cause they're too busy covering-up their multi-trillion $$ losses by screwing over their remaining customers.

Get an American engineering firm to develop the hi-speed train......Oh, sorry, our engineers couldn't poke their way thru a paper bag, let alone design a state of the art bullet train.

Anyone else want to bid on the job? Sorry the State of CA is bankrupt and can offer no more graft and kickbacks, so the Chinese are the only ones left.

Gary

Liger Zero
04-08-2010, 10:57 AM
Get an American engineering firm to develop the hi-speed train......Oh, sorry, our engineers couldn't poke their way thru a paper bag, let alone design a state of the art bullet train.

Gary

But!! We have ISO-9000 and 14000! QS progams! Five S! Six Sigma! And we're managed by platitude-quoting MBAs!

ooooh NOW I see the problem. :o:rolleyes:

dp
04-08-2010, 12:04 PM
It's not the first time they built a railroad here.

ckelloug
04-08-2010, 01:01 PM
It's government contracting ;) The only way to get the job is to have prior experience. Since we had Chinese labor on the transcontinental railway and they remember they did it and we don't, they're the only ones who can pass the experience clause in the contract.:D

ADGO_Racing
04-08-2010, 01:13 PM
Maybe it is just one more method for eliminating Americans....Lets see:

1. Lead paint on our kids toys.
2. Small magnets in toys for young children to detach, eat and choke on.
3. Poisoned tooth Paste!
4. Poisoned Dog Food.
5. Poisoned our food!
6. Inferior Drywall.
7. ....I am sure there are a few that I am missing feel free to add to the list...
8. Now High Speed rail. I suppose the plan is for inferior Chinese steel axles, bearings and frame castings to fail and kill hundreds at a time.:eek:

krutch
04-08-2010, 04:26 PM
Don't worry, it wont get done. They will have to overcome the tree huggers and protectors of California spotted a** fleas or some such made up crap. It will take untold years to get started. Unless the construction crews are imported from the Peoples Republic Army.
Krutch

Mentally confused and prone to wandering.

MuellerNick
04-08-2010, 05:19 PM
NOT FUNNY!

We (Germans) sold some of our ICEs (Inter City Express; highspeed trains doing 320 km/h; an experimental one made a world record of 406.9 km/h*)) to China. Now, they sell copies to USA.

*) I think the French TGV (Train a Grande Vitesse) is the current record holder.

Nick

JoeLee
04-08-2010, 05:31 PM
Maybe it is just one more method for eliminating Americans....Lets see:

1. Lead paint on our kids toys.
2. Small magnets in toys for young children to detach, eat and choke on.
3. Poisoned tooth Paste!
4. Poisoned Dog Food.
5. Poisoned our food!
6. Inferior Drywall.
7. ....I am sure there are a few that I am missing feel free to add to the list...
8. Now High Speed rail. I suppose the plan is for inferior Chinese steel axles, bearings and frame castings to fail and kill hundreds at a time.:eek:

Don't forget Evans fake copper wire !!

JL..........

ADGO_Racing
04-08-2010, 05:40 PM
To show you just what china is about (And the nerve of some people)....

A few years back when I was a job shop, a potential customer came to me. He was looking to make some replacement parts for a very well known (Internationally known name) brand name piece of equipment. He was sourcing the castings in China, as they were already being made there. Over the course of a few months I found out bits and pieces of what was going on and eventually sent him packing as I did not want any part of this.

He found a MFG Rep over there who scoured the various foundries, until he found who was making the castings. The Chinese foundry agreed to make the castings using the OEM patterns minus the OEM markings!!! There was NO agreement on the part of the OEM to do this! The attitude was basically "What they don't know, won't hurt them".

I occasionally use MFGQuote.com I get about 50 responses from China to each item I put out for quote. I absolutely, will never use offshore sources. I cancel their bits as soon as I get them. They also have "front shops" here in the US. They quote the job, have a nice looking shop that at an US based address to show you, but everything comes from China. They bid on BUY AMERICAN government contracts!

I only use MFGQuote.com for stuff that is not critical or proprietary, since they cannot secure the site against the Chinese bidding on the work. I do not want to be bothered by the offshore bids, so I do not post to offshore bidders, but I get flooded anyway.

ADGO_Racing
04-08-2010, 05:41 PM
Yeah, how could I forget that one....It is so recent!:D

Liger Zero
04-08-2010, 07:41 PM
To show you just what china is about (And the nerve of some people)....
This is similar to what happened at a major medical and specialty bottle company who also makes famous Sports Bottles out of PC.

They had an old Jomar dedicated to making the Old Style sports bottle and they ran New Style prototypes on it as well.

They sold so well they went ahead and installed four dedicated Uniloy blowmolders in a new plant, installed all the automation, built a special cap-making machine...

Then they sourced the molds from China.

Three months... Six months... Nine months... no sign of the molds.

....someone stops by a Dollar General and finds a "Nalgene" bottle made out of Not Polycarbonate on the shelf and brings it to work.

The ****storm was epic. Many of us were fired as part of a massive corperate witch-hunt-and-scapegoating festival, and the new molds were finally build (in six weeks) locally. I was fired because I was already unpopular because I voiced my opinion that Polycarb with it's high levels of PBA was really not suited to this application... but I was overruled because LOOK AT ALL THE PRETTY COLORS OOH SHINY!

That bit them in the ass down the road... but I digress.

Recently I was told that this was all a sham on the corporation's part that they decided to offshore the production and didn't tell anyone at the plant here... then let us tear each other to pieces to reduce headcount. Don't know if that's true or not and I don't care. If it's true then why did they source another set of molds and actually begin production... Something to ponder though.

It's one of those situations where I learned something important: If a company decides to use a potentially toxic material in a food application don't speak up keep it a secret otherwise you will be fired. :p (that'll be the day. My mouth is FAR too big.)

camdigger
04-08-2010, 07:53 PM
I have a friend that does specialty "one of a kind" decorative art pieces in assorted media. His biggest complaint about going to shows and exhibitions (where he gets the majority of his sales) is the Chinese delegations with digital cameras. They wander booth to booth poking, prodding, and surreptitiously photographing all that catches their eye, but only buying a few token items, if any at all.

Turn around for chicom copies has been as little as 10 weeks:eek: Usually at 25% of the price.

Reverse Engineering is far less expensive than coming up with new and unique designs.:rolleyes:

In a perfect world, they'd be held to international copyright and patent law, but so far no luck. Is the west a bit nervous about ticking off it's largest creditor?:o Hmmmm.

Your Old Dog
04-08-2010, 08:19 PM
The American worker has suffered this disgusting injustice before. In Buffalo New York they built the Father Baker Bridge from steel made in Japan. From the bridge you could have hit one of the largest steel mills in America. That plant has been silent for a good many years and now only a skeleton of it still stands on our waterfront.

Liger Zero
04-08-2010, 08:40 PM
The American worker has suffered this disgusting injustice before. In Buffalo New York they built the Father Baker Bridge from steel made in Japan. From the bridge you could have hit one of the largest steel mills in America. That plant has been silent for a good many years and now only a skeleton of it still stands on our waterfront.

The fellow I'm helping out... the one with the lumber machine. His son is an MBA. They took me out to lunch and we had nice discussion about America and industry.

Apparently the worst is yet to come. He's saying that these cyclical variations in employment that keep making the news (Unemployment down 1%! Up 2% Down 1% and so on) are the results of Temp Labor. What we are seeing here is major movements of people on contract, being made to leave when the contract is up. Yeah Happyslappy Box Factory just hired 300 people... Hooray! They are all temps on a ninety day assignment. 30 day into that Forgotten Film Company brings on 500 people... and 30 days into that another company brings on 250 people... all temps.

Every time a contract block runs out a large number of people hit the street looking for work. Everytime a factory gets an order they bring on workers... and promptly discard them at the end of the contract period

Ultralife Batteries has been doing this for years. If you go by the Temp Service's speech about "work hard, show up and produce good product they WILL hire you directly" if you believe that then Ultralife should employ over 45,000 people. They do not.

Instead they bring people on, work them for 90 days then let them go. Meanwhile Maco Bag, Pliant, Garlock and all the other companies are doing the exact same thing.

Taken on face value we should be importing busloads of workers from other regions to make up for the fact that between these companies... if they actually fufilled their end of the deal... we'd have over a million people employed at these companies. Pliant alone would have half a million people working there... Garlock over 250,000

In reality they have a skeleton crew of experienced workers, and when they get an order the plant comes alive with temps. Then it goes back to near idle level.

This is what the schools teach is the "new economy." One built on disposable labor. No training. No skill retention. No improvement. Come in run some product get a check go back to the handout line.

His concern... and this blows my mind coming from an MBA... is what happens when the current generation of skilled workers dies off? What do we do then? Who is going to train the temps?

I've said it before I'll say it again. My bills they do not disappear after 90 days. My car doesn't stop needing gas after 90 days. I cannot catch up my electric bill if I run out of money because the Agency has already filled all the openings for a given period.

THIS. HAS. TO. STOP. We are NOT competing with China when we do this, we are simply handing them victory. You cannot build a technically savvy disposable workforce.