PDA

View Full Version : Motorbike project

Carld
04-08-2010, 09:26 PM
I have been working on this motorbike project a few weeks now. I had to do it between jobs and have been test riding it for a little over a week now. It's been years since I rode even a bike and it has been an experience. I only have about an hour run time on the engine now and it is doing just fine. I ordered a larger rear sprocket so it will climb hills easier. Since I live outside town on a gravel road it has been interesting learning to ride on gravel again.

It's only 1/4 mile on the highway and cross a bridge to get into town so that's not to bad. I also bought a bike carrier from HF and did some major modifications to it to carry the motorbike. I'll give it a test run this weekend to see how the bike will ride on the carrier. Yea, that ugly old gezzer in browns is me. It was windy and I was telling the wife to hurry and take the damn picture before I got blown away.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j276/yeathatshim/P4070001.jpg

jack3140
04-08-2010, 10:16 PM
had one of these when i was a kid in the fifties was called a whizzer it had a motor mounted like yours and was belt driven and had a very large pulley on the back wheel quite a lot of fun to ride ps it used a cable driven belt tensioner for a clutch simple but it worked

Mcgyver
04-08-2010, 10:32 PM
nicely done Carl, is that all freelance? looks very professional

what old geezer? :D

Bill Pace
04-08-2010, 10:49 PM
That is toooo cool, Carl!, I'm like Jack and that reminds me of the "Whizzer" when I was a kid. Also a bit like the "Servicycle" during the 50's.

But you are to stingy with your description.... tell us more about it, whats that little motor, show the other side with the drive, centrifugal clutch, slip clutch? where'd you come up with that anyway? the tank looks like it was made special for your set-up - what is it from? etc, etc....

Carld
04-08-2010, 11:01 PM
yes, I has a Whizzer too. This is a Chinese 2 cycle engine bike kit. It's a bolt on setup. So far it's a lot of fun.

Ken_Shea
04-08-2010, 11:04 PM
Man. you guys must be older then me, I had a Moped :D

That is slick Card, down right nice.

How they make those kits and sell them so cheap is beyond me, looks like fun.

Carld
04-08-2010, 11:51 PM
I got the bike from my father-in-law and ordered the kit online. My brother-in-law sells the kits or a complete bike with engine. I got the kit from the same place he gets his. It amazed me that they will fit almost any bike frame. He said he has found few bikes they won't fit. The more he talked the more I had to have one. It was bringing back memories of the Whizzer when I was 16 years old.

I'll have to be careful, I don't bounce like I used to so falling is not an option.

All I modified was the clutch cable setup. Getting it started the first time was difficult but after that is does just fine. I't supposed to go about 35 to 40 mph but there's no way I want to do that. I remember how far you slide when going 20-25 and it's not nice. There are two highways I feel safe ridding it on and when I feel comfortable with it I will try a long ride, well, 5 or 10 miles anyway.

This thing would be neat in a big city with bike lanes as long as you don't get in fast traffic.

Ken_Shea
04-08-2010, 11:55 PM
Carl,
Are they supposed to be reasonably economical with regards to fuel consumption?

MTNGUN
04-09-2010, 12:07 AM
That's cool, Carld. Thanks for the pic.

abn
04-09-2010, 02:40 AM
Nice bike...looks real good.

Willy
04-09-2010, 03:38 AM
Hey Carl, lookin' good.
Here's my first build from a couple or two years ago, I've built about four more since for friends, lots of fun being a kid again.:D
My old shovelhead is still good for a hundred and thirty five, but this thing is more of an eye opening experience at thirty mph then that thing is at a hundred.
Pushin' 60 here Carl, and still feels good to feel twelve again.
Good on ya bud.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j31/250willy/IM002736.jpg

BWS
04-09-2010, 06:45 AM
Cool ride Carl........and as others said,what old geezer?BW

Your Old Dog
04-09-2010, 07:43 AM

I'll have to be careful, I don't bounce like I used to so falling is not an option.

Wear those buckskin gloves Carl like the truckdrivers do. That's what I wear on my Harley and I've already got them chaffed up once :D I understand you may not want to admit you wear gloves on a machinist site !!

Nice job on the build. Looks like a lot of fun.

Can you point me to a link where I can peruse the product? I built my handicapped son an electric bike but unless you spend a fortune on batteries it won't run for long.

rockrat
04-09-2010, 08:04 AM
Nice job on the wheels there. That is one of the things on my list of "to do" items.

My uncle built one while he was working as the administrator of a hospital. His buddy was a retired machinist that worked at the same place. He would tell stories of how they would build them together an hour at a time during lunch breaks. When finished, they rode them down the halls of the hospital basements.

I think that his bike ended up in his barn and now that he is gone, I cant say where it might have gone off to. I do know that he was keen on where his stuff went so I'm sure that someone is enjoying it to this day.

rock~

biometrics
04-09-2010, 09:23 AM
Carld,

Please tell us the actual source and cost of your bike motor kit. Looks like a great birthday gift for teenage grandchildren!

thanks - John

Peter.
04-09-2010, 09:55 AM
Neat looking setup you've made there Carl.

What's the legal position for riding one of those on a public road over there? In the UK it would have to be registered, taxed, insured and probably SVA-tested too.

dharnell
04-09-2010, 10:05 AM
Hi,

Good looking bikes. How noisy are the engines? The engine appears to have a muffler, just wondering how effective they are.

Dave

saltmine
04-09-2010, 12:37 PM
Nice bike Carl! I've got almost the same thing parked in my shop.

If I'm not mistaken, they offer a larger rear sprocket.

Since my "beach cruiser" wasn't made to fit the engine, I had to make a billet aluminum "adapter" to fit the powerplant into my frame. Aside from that it was fairly simple.

I got my engine kit from a guy in Canada...Of course, it's a Chinese built engine and kit. They offer it in two sizes, 49cc and 66cc(80)...Being a typical American gearhead, I ordered the bigger engine...Now, I find that I could have gotten an even bigger engine. A Four-stroke with a recoil starter.
The bigger engine is a Chinese copy of a Honda industrial engine.
Yeah, Dharnell, the muffler on mine is very quiet. In fact, there are three or four other bikes in my neighborhood and noise doesn't seem to be a problem. Except for pigeons and cats. They don't hear you coming..

The bikes are considered "mopeds" here, in Arizona. Usually, only a "Learner's Permit" is required to operate them...But eye protection is required.

Some states have a displacement requirement for mopeds of 49cc's.

It's always best to check with the law enforcement before you venture out onto the roads....A bit of common sense doesn't hurt either.

ulav8r
04-09-2010, 03:15 PM
http://www.gasbike.net/bicycle-motors-2-stroke.html?scart_affiliate_id=72

That was the third site in the list when I googled "bicycle motor kit". $120 for an 80cc kit.

Carld
04-09-2010, 04:36 PM
Here is where I got my engine kit, http://www.gasbike.net/ and the one I got is the the 66/80 cc engine here, http://www.gasbike.net/grubee_skyhawk_gt5_66cc_80cc_slant_head_standard_f inish_bike_motor_kit.html There are a lot of sites that sell them.

It is $149 plus tax and shipping. It's supposed to be their best engine and a little souped up. The Chinese call it an 80cc engine but it's really a 66cc engine according to the site info. In most states in the US a 49cc or less is street legal with no license but in most cases they don't bother you if your operating sensibly. It's a good idea to take all the tags off though and I plan to do that.

You can get them with centrifugal clutch and pull start or manual clutch and pedal start. I got the manual clutch and pedal start.

You can put it on almost any 26" bike but it may be a good idea to get a kit and sit the engine in place before you buy a bike. The engine is light so it's no trouble to carry it with you to test fit it. The angles were slightly off on my frame but it worked with inner tube shims wrapped around the frame to take up vibration.

It surprised me they could still import a 2 cycle engine and it has a "Catholic" converter, I can't spell the other word, and I am a recovering Catholic. The muffler has a element of some sort that I plan to remove next week and put a larger outlet pipe in also. It's fairly quiet right now and I hope it stays reasonably quiet.

Yes, they have a 50 tooth sprocket and I just got it today. This morning I went to the Knob Creek Gun Range to the machine gun shoot with my son and a friend of his. We had a great time looking at all the stuff and watching the shooting.

They are a lot of fun and any teenager or adult with a little sense can have fun riding a bike with one of the engines. To be honest I think the 48cc engines would be enough for most city streets with the 50 tooth gear. It's really not safe to go fast on a pedal type bike so the smaller engine with the lower gearing should be fine. The only reason I got the bigger engine is to climb the hills around here and I don't know yet if I needed it or not yet. I got it at my brother-in-laws suggestion.

The small town I live by don't have a lot of streets to ride on so it won't take long before everyone knows I have it including the police.

saltmine
04-09-2010, 10:22 PM
I know around here, the cops never bother anybody on mopeds and powered bikes....unless, that is, they're doing something stupid.

If you obey the traffic laws, most cops never give me a second glance.