PDA

View Full Version : OT -- DVD confusion: DVD-R, DVD+R

Orrin
04-09-2010, 12:53 PM
Which DVD format is used the most? DVD-R or DVD+R?

My wife's new computer came equipped with a DVD burner. I suspect it can use either format; but, we want to purchase blank disks that are most commonly used.

Years ago I listened to someone's tale of woe: He had installed a new DVD drive into his computer, but it burned disks that nobody else's player could read. We don't want to fall into the same trap.

Orrin

dp
04-09-2010, 12:55 PM
I just went through this too and found that DVD-R had the best chance of success. So far, so good. I burned a batch of videos for my wife's singing group and no complaints.

mochinist
04-09-2010, 02:28 PM
Im not trying to add to the confusion at all, and DP from reading his post over the years knows more about computers than I do...but I have had the most problems with DVD-R's, both with burning and not having them work in other peoples various DVD players etc. I only buy DVD+R's now. I'm usually burning movies for my kids and nieces and nephews that I have of course legally obtained.

Black_Moons
04-09-2010, 03:32 PM
I'm usually burning movies for my kids and nieces and nephews that I have of course legally obtained.

You do know that just because they are minors doesnt make it legal for you to make illegal copys for them, reguardless if your copy was legally obtained or not?

mochinist
04-09-2010, 03:35 PM
You do know that just because they are minors doesnt make it legal for you to make illegal copys for them, reguardless if your copy was legally obtained or not?
sarcasm dude

DFMiller
04-09-2010, 06:09 PM
The few times I have burned DVD's I have always had problems. I now get both + and - and see which one works best. Some Drives seems to be very picky. Of course a USB drive holds more and does not have this problem.
Dave

Fasttrack
04-09-2010, 06:25 PM

FYI - as long as those copies are not redistributed, it is perfectly legal to copy movies/music and other media. So actually it is quite legal to make copies so long as Mochinist's children are still claimed as dependents.

Its the "Fair Use" doctrine in copyright law - making backup copies is perfectly legal. Whether or not you have the software to do so is a completely different question. Especially because most software that allows you to make a copy (i.e. works around the anti-piracy protection on a DVD) is considered illegal software specifically because it defeats the anti-piracy protection. :rolleyes:

macona
04-09-2010, 06:30 PM
But the DMCA has pretty much overruled Fair Use since all these discs are encrypted and it is illegal to break the encryption.

lazlo
04-09-2010, 07:10 PM
I've found that -R is slightly more compatible with standalone DVD players than +R (I buy both). But the most important thing for compatibility is to close the burning session. That means close the DVD's table of contents and file allocation tables.

People tend to burn a DVD and leave the session open (i.e., you can add more files to it later). Computer DVD players will handle that fine, but it confuses standalone players.

aboard_epsilon
04-09-2010, 07:32 PM
I had a Sony DVD burner that was supposed to be plus and minus years ago .it was nothing but trouble fussy about disks chucked loads of disks out etc that it half wrote and failed .
Think that was happening a lot when they first came out about 7 years ago.

Replaced it with an LG GH22MP20 about 4 years ago which came with the Nero 7 ultra edition free..full pro version...........to date .its never failed a task on any disc...and only cost £22 UK

So my advice (for what they cost) is don't pratt about and get yourself wound up over it. Chuck the thing away and get something more up to date .or buy the same as mine with the free software....as the old ones are nothing but fussy time wasting frustrating pieces of crap .

All the best.markj

Fasttrack
04-09-2010, 07:45 PM
But the DMCA has pretty much overruled Fair Use since all these discs are encrypted and it is illegal to break the encryption.

Exactly. Although, I read an article the other day that said it may not be that way much longer. (Wishful thinking? :) )

Ron of Va
04-09-2010, 08:14 PM
After you have made your copy, don’t forget to “finalize” your disk or it will only work on your machine.